• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brent Venables

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude seems like a good coach with a lot of energy. But he went from facing B12 offenses to facing ACC ones. There isn’t some magic bean that’s made him successful at Clemson.

If Venables came back to Oklahoma with Riley and was allowed to run his defense his way with the knowledge he’s gained he’d be churning out some impressive defenses. Probably not the top 10 every year like you see at Clemson but he’s consistently be in the top 25 or so and probably crack fringe top ten every few years. I firmly believe that.

That being said, we’ve got to do something about the way pass interference and holding is an isn’t called in this conference. It’s a fucking joke. I once watched a game where tech chucked it 65 times and got called for holding once. They’re not doing teams in conference any favors with the way things have gotten.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude seems like a good coach with a lot of energy. But he went from facing B12 offenses to facing ACC ones. There isn’t some magic bean that’s made him successful at Clemson.

Since he’s been at CU, they have faced OU twice (once in the CFP), and held them to 6 and 17 points. The “magic bean” is better DL talent.

People can continue to make excuses for OU’s defenses due to “facing good offenses”, but their defenses have been bad even adjusting for that. WVU was a good offense, but 56 points? That was the 2nd most they scored on anyone, and 4 more than they scored against rugged Youngstown St. OU yielded 40+ points 6 times in 18. That’s a LOT more than simply “facing good offenses”.

Kansas (hardly a bastion of defensive prowess) allowed 40+ points 3 times. Ditto for Baylor. And WVU. Iowa State allowed 40+ once. Texas and KSU twice each. TCU 3 times. OSU 4. Only TT (with 6) did do as often. Add in the fact that the best offense by far in the B12 was OU, and their defense was spared having to face their own offense, the “facing good offenses” defense goes out the window.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he’s been at CU, they have faced OU twice (once in the CFP), and held them to 6 and 17 points. The “magic bean” is better DL talent.

People can continue to make excuses for OU’s defenses due to “facing good offenses”, but their defenses have been bad even adjusting for that. WVU was a good offense, but 56 points? That was the 2nd most they scored on anyone, and 4 more than they scored against rugged Youngstown St. OU yielded 40+ points 6 times in 18. That’s a LOT more than simply “facing good offenses”.

Kansas (hardly a bastion of defensive prowess) allowed 40+ points 3 times. Ditto for Baylor. And WVU. Iowa State allowed 40+ once. Texas and KSU twice each. TCU 3 times. OSU 4. Only TT (with 6) did do as often. Add in the fact that the best offense by far in the B12 was OU, and their defense was spared having to face their own offense, the “facing good offenses” defense goes out the window.

I’ve never seen such a lack of “give a fuck” as I saw out of our defense last season. Grinch has a culture problem to clean up left by Mike. What a joke.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve never seen such a lack of “give a fuck” as I saw out of our defense last season. Grinch has a culture problem to clean up left by Mike. What a joke.

Exactly. It was a culture problem. The only way to fix it is to change the culture.

B12 defenses will suffer statistically as s group for facing collectively better offenses, but that doesn’t mean OU can’t be a relatively good B12 defense. With their recruiting, they can be a LOT better.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It was a culture problem. The only way to fix it is to change the culture.

B12 defenses will suffer statistically as s group for facing collectively better offenses, but that doesn’t mean OU can’t be a relatively good B12 defense. With their recruiting, they can be a LOT better.

Grinch expects 100% effort on every play and accepts no excuses is the word. I’m expect a few more transfers.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right on! Iowa State might not be a CFB Playoff contender, but they do play salty defense in the Big Xii. If ISU can do it, OU should be able to do it better.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grinch expects 100% effort on every play and accepts no excuses is the word. I’m expect a few more transfers.

Coordinators don’t fix the culture. That is the HCs job. That is also the biggest knock on Leach tree

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Offensives are changing in the Big 12. You are going to see lower scores and more running this year. I am not saying the offenses are going to be worse, just that their is a philosophy shift going on. More smash mouth spread than Leach clones

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coordinators don’t fix the culture. That is the HCs job. That is also the biggest knock on Leach tree

I respectfully disagree. While the HC plays a role, look at the difference between the offensive and defensive culture. One was created by Riley and one was inherited by Riley. The DC is responsible for his side of the ball and that includes culture. Riley sought out Grinch because of his beliefs and style because he believes he will install the same culture on the defensive side of the ball as Riley has on the offensive side.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. While the HC plays a role, look at the difference between the offensive and defensive culture. One was created by Riley and one was inherited by Riley. The DC is responsible for his side of the ball and that includes culture. Riley sought out Grinch because of his beliefs and style because he believes he will install the same culture on the defensive side of the ball as Riley has on the offensive side.

That is my point. A HC that is consumed with his side of the ball tends to produce a culture that is geared toward his side of the ball. That is probably the single biggest reason most Coordinators fail as Head Coaches. Riley screwed the pooch in that regard last year. He saw 2017. He saw the defense give up a huge lead to Georgia in the playoffs. What did he do all offseason to address that? He waited until OU’s defense became a national joke. Culture is setting the tone in practice. Offense doesn’t need a very physical practice, see Chip Kelly. The defense does. Finding the middle ground is a HCs job

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my point. A HC that is consumed with his side of the ball tends to produce a culture that is geared toward his side of the ball. That is probably the single biggest reason most Coordinators fail as Head Coaches. Riley screwed the pooch in that regard last year. He saw 2017. He saw the defense give up a huge lead to Georgia in the playoffs. What did he do all offseason to address that? He waited until OU’s defense became a national joke. Culture is setting the tone in practice. Offense doesn’t need a very physical practice, see Chip Kelly. The defense does. Finding the middle ground is a HCs job

There’s more at play there than you realize. Bobs nepotism reaches past his retirement.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Venables running the defense you could always count on OU having at least two games every year when the offense needed to score 50 to win. And it could happen at any time....not just against a team that was expected to play OU hard. It happened against horrible Baylor teams and other weak offenses. It was absolutely miserable wondering which defense was going to show up every game.

As opposed to now...you needed to score 50 to win twice a year in each of the last two years...unfortunately you didn't in two of those games...Texas and Georgia. Technically you could have won the Texas game with 49...but close enough for hand grenades.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Venables running the defense you could always count on OU having at least two games every year when the offense needed to score 50 to win. And it could happen at any time....not just against a team that was expected to play OU hard. It happened against horrible Baylor teams and other weak offenses. It was absolutely miserable wondering which defense was going to show up every game.

Dammit, just realized this comment was 6 years old, lol.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s more at play there than you realize. Bobs nepotism reaches past his retirement.

I wonder if Bob's nepotism will continue in Dallas...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally think Venables lack of success at OU is more of an indictment on Bob Stoops than anything else.

Stoops was a decent DC at K. State and Florida before getting the HC gig at OU.

Did Stoops control too much of what Venables was doing at OU where there was confusion or lack of communtication?

Swinney was an OC. Venables is doing well at Clemson where he likely has free reign to do what he wants to do.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can only comment on what I saw, that could have played a major role in the lack of action

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think Venables lack of success at OU is more of an indictment on Bob Stoops than anything else.

Stoops was a decent DC at K. State and Florida before getting the HC gig at OU.

Did Stoops control too much of what Venables was doing at OU where there was confusion or lack of communtication?

Swinney was an OC. Venables is doing well at Clemson where he likely has free reign to do what he wants to do.

To be fair Venerables has been given an easy path to success. He has been blessed with an NFL DL the last few years. Funny how talent makes elevates coaches. I still think he is a solid DC, I am not so sure he is the best of the best

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Venerables has been given an easy path to success. He has been blessed with an NFL DL the last few years. Funny how talent makes elevates coaches. I still think he is a solid DC, I am not so sure he is the best of the best

Yeah, it all starts up-front. However, I've seen plenty of defenses littered with NFL talent at all 3 levels that didn't play like it.

It's about getting people lined up right and getting everybody on the same page.