• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brees and Rodgers playoff failures

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers was 6-9-1 the season before Lafleur came on. The team was 13-3 last 2 seasons under him, with 2 NFCG, think bus is a little severe

He may or may not be a good coach, time will tell, I have a tough time grading coaches early on that have great QBs, hard to decipher who is more responsible

I just know in 2 NFC title games, he has been brutally outclassed with real obvious coaching blunders

the obvious FG of course, clock management was a disaster all game, and the TD before the half for TB was simply unthinkable for a good coach

we will see

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may or may not be a good coach, time will tell, I have a tough time grading coaches early on that have great QBs, hard to decipher who is more responsible

I just know in 2 NFC title games, he has been brutally outclassed with real obvious coaching blunders

the obvious FG of course, clock management was a disaster all game, and the TD before the half for TB was simply unthinkable for a good coach

we will see
I agree too early to tell but after Packers missing the playoffs in 17, and 18 and I know Rodgers missed half of 17, nice rebound. Now having said that, the offense scored 0 points in first half against San Fran and 10 yesterday at home. Can blame all the coaching blunders but like you said earlier, need to get td\s and not FG\s off turnovers. Same thing happened in Gb/Seattle game where they picked Wilson off 4 times in first half and mostly fg's

Also I think Devin White has been the MVP of the playoffs for TB

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree too early to tell but after Packers missing the playoffs in 17, and 18 and I know Rodgers missed half of 17, nice rebound. Now having said that, the offense scored 0 points in first half against San Fran and 10 yesterday at home. Can blame all the coaching blunders but like you said earlier, need to get td\s and not FG\s off turnovers. Same thing happened in Gb/Seattle game where they picked Wilson off 4 times in first half and mostly fg's

As bad as GBs D was first half yesterday, they were that good 2nd half

hard to say they deserved a better fate giving up 31 points, but Rodgers turned 3 turnovers into 3 points, and that’s all on him, that was truly awful

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as GBs D was first half yesterday, they were that good 2nd half

hard to say they deserved a better fate giving up 31 points, but Rodgers turned 3 turnovers into 3 points, and that’s all on him, that was truly awful
Especially when both starting safeties Winfield JR and Whitehead were out at that point . TB's secondary and special teams have been the only weakness on that unbelievable D with no#1 rushing D and great linebackers. Tyreek Hill had over 200 yards against them in the first Q and Brees lit them up first 2 meetings

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when both starting safeties Winfield JR and Whitehead were out at that point . TB's secondary and special teams have been the only weakness on that unbelievable D with no#1 rushing D and great linebackers. Tyreek Hill had over 200 yards against them in the first Q and Brees lit them up first 2 meetings

Yup when that second safety went down, couldn’t believe they weren’t in full air attack mode, it was these ugly safe play calls on like 3 straight really pivotal drives

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady has now won as many NFC Championships as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

This doesn't speak so much to TB as it does Brees and Rodgers of course. But should we consider their playoff resumes as failures? I do.
I can't fault Tyson and Jones Jr losing to Muhammad Ali this season, no shame there

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rodgers and Brees can be labeled playoff failures actually

IMO more Brees simply because Brees had better rosters mostly and def the far better coach in his time
Brees is hard to say though. For the past 5 years his arm has gotten weaker and weaker towards the end of year where ends up a noodle arm in the playoffs. Thought the injury would be the best thing for him but nope, just like for the past decade. When the Calendar turns January his arm strength takes a vacation until OTA’s.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Brees. But I wonder that Rodgers' teammates think of him. He comes off as a prima donna.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Brees. But I wonder that Rodgers' teammates think of him. He comes off as a prima donna.

They should say thank you

because that’s like a 5-11 roster if you replaced Rodgers with even a league average QB

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers' playoff D and coaches are the #1 reason he doesn't have more SB appearances. Very tough to win playoff games when the other team is dropping 30+ on you. Doesn't mean he hasn't been culpable at times, but it's pretty blatant when you compare to times Brady has played poorly in the postseason and won anyway.

Brees doesn't really have an excuse after the last several years and to have the injuries he had and to insist on playing with WInston/Hill available is very weird and bad too.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers' playoff D and coaches are the #1 reason he doesn't have more SB appearances. Very tough to win playoff games when the other team is dropping 30+ on you. Doesn't mean he hasn't been culpable at times, but it's pretty blatant when you compare to times Brady has played poorly in the postseason and won anyway.

Brees doesn't really have an excuse after the last several years and to have the injuries he had and to insist on playing with WInston/Hill available is very weird and bad too.

Perfect

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one NFCCG game brees won was when he was playing for a team thats defensive players were intentionally trying to injure other team. They also benefited from more than one questionable call down the stretch, including face guarding which our LB had the audacity to put his arms up while in pass protection (the horror).

I'm not sure which blown call cost them the game in MN? The Rudolph TD? I suppose it could've been OPI, but it was some mutual hand fighting going on. Did it cost New Orleans the game? debatable. MN could've still scored a TD next play, Kicked FG and stopped New orleans next drive, hard to say. You know what cost new orleans the game? Saints turning ball over multiple times and being completely unable to move the ball until second half

I was rooting for the Vikes because of Kirk. But that was as blatant of a push off as you will ever see. So yeah Brees got screwed out of 2 playoff wins.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting for the Vikes because of Kirk. But that was as blatant of a push off as you will ever see. So yeah Brees got screwed out of 2 playoff wins.

Including the Rams non PI call?

that was the most blatant robbery of a SB appearance that I ever remember

rules changed because of that play

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you're going to call push off then call the hold on the DB, off set, retry. When both players are handing fighting...

And even if called, still no guarantee Saints win.

Go to Saints SB run, they got some gifts and they cheated in NFCCG game. Brees and Payton get no sympathy

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Including the Rams non PI call?

that was the most blatant robbery of a SB appearance that I ever remember

rules changed because of that play

Yeah including the PI which was a worse call or no call.
if you're going to call push off then call the hold on the DB, off set, retry. When both players are handing fighting...

And even if called, still no guarantee Saints win.

Go to Saints SB run, they got some gifts and they cheated in NFCCG game. Brees and Payton get no sympathy

As I said I was cheering that play. But you are looking at the play through the eyes of a Vikes fans. To most all of us neutral fans that was clearly OPI, you can see it clearly on the final angle from above. The hand fighting by the DB was not a penalty, we see that all the time..

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah including the PI which was a worse call or no call.

As I said I was cheering that play. But you are looking at the play through the eyes of a Vikes fans. To most all of us neutral fans that was clearly OPI, you can see it clearly on the final angle from above. The hand fighting by the DB was not a penalty, we see that all the time..
You either allow them to be physical, or you don't. DB's hands clearly were holding Rudolphs hands down

would OPI shock me? No, but it's not most erroneous call in history. Nor if it was called does it guarantee saints win. Play and penalty were reviewed, TD and no PI was upheld by NFL since it at time penalty was challenge, and refs at stadium and central didn't feel it was as blatant as you suggested. I'm also aware it was a pretty high standard as season went on, early in season vikings got robbed of TD upon further review for a supposed pick play. I've seen worse go uncalled, i've seen less called, I'm not going to fret or suggest one call is why Saints lost a game they were trailing most of the game on play that broke tie and ended game, but if called, only would've extended game with Vikings still having the ball, chance to end game.

If it was called, it would've been vikings ball, game still tied. Hard to say what would've followed.

Now Drew Pearson push off.....

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-4 in NFCC games, and a 4 game losing streak. His Super Bowl record is spectacular though. He just doesn't get there very often.
NFCCG performance? Oh, you see I was under the impression this thread was about playoff performance. Oh, wait. That IS what this thread is about!

Furthermore, to have any real meaning, you must compare a player to the field of others. Hell, Montana had 8 tries and was only .500 in conference championship games and he retired after losing 3 in a row. Smh

Last edited: