• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News, Lakers Trade Mosgov & Russell for Brook Lopez & Pick 27!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea of giving up assets to get PG one year earlier when it costs them nothing next summer.

Plus, with Randle's recent workouts, he could be a beast in the post now. I don't like the idea of getting rid of him just as he's about to turn the corner.
I agree. Keep randle.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I know alot of you guys like this deal, but to me, it didn't need to be made yet.

They could've shed Mozgov's contract next offseason when teams would only have to eat 2 years of it instead of 3, and seen how Russell continued to develop at the 2 spot.

Yes, he wasn't the PG they thought they were drafting, but he looked good at the 2 last season when Walton made the switch.

I just don't understand getting rid of him now instead of waiting until at least the trade deadline.

The bench just got weaker because now Clarkson has to play the 2 and they have no firepower coming off the bench.

Plus, even though Lopez is solid, his presence limits the growth of Zubac because his minutes will be limited.

I actually liked the combo of Zubac and Black at C.

Just scratching my head at this trade.

And if they did this to make a PG13 trade work and give up even more assets, it will make it even worse.

Did nobody watch how GS built their team? Through the draft and let the players develop together. Then, because you are good, you attract star FA's.:L

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with the injury concerns with Brook.

By limiting his minutes, we can mitigate the injury potential which allows for the youngster Zu to get quality minutes every night so he can continue to develop!

I'm not good with trading away assets for PG13 when he most likely comes next year as a FA.

Also, acquiring PG13 in the Summer of 2018 makes it a bit more enticing to resign Brook to an extension.

The only reason, the Lakers might want to make a trade for PG13 this Summer is so we can sign him to a Bird deal next year so we can have two max deals on the table for the Summer of 2018.

Not sure exactly how that works, but maybe someone who does can shed some light to see if that is actually true.

If so, if we could trade Nance Jr, #28 & Deng, that might fly.

You risk him being traded somewhere else and liking his new city.....I say be careful but trade the 27 and 28th picks plus Clark or Randle...

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers offered the 2nd pick for Butler also....

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a risk I don't think the Lakers can take.

The Pacers are the ones behind the 8 ball.

Most teams aren't going to give up much for PG as a one year rental.

And, I honestly can't believe the Lakers are offering as much as they are when the Pacers are the ones that are risking losing him for nothing if they don't trade him.

I wouldn't offer Randle after they already traded away Russell just to shed Mozgov's contract.

They are playing a very dangerous game here. If the trade for PG and he doesn't like what he sees this season, he could leave and the Lakers would have traded several young players ( counting both 1st round picks rumored in the trade ), and have cap space but nobody wanting to sign ( just like all the other years ).

They should've stayed put, let the young guys develop, and if PG wanted to join next offseason, great. Then, you make moves to clear cap space, etc.

They are putting the cart before the horse and this could all backfire badly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not about the Pacers being behind the 8 ball. It's about the risk of PG-13 being traded to a contender and deciding he likes playing for titles.

And, I honestly can't believe the Lakers are offering as much as they are when the Pacers are the ones that are risking losing him for nothing if they don't trade him.

I wouldn't offer Randle after they already traded away Russell just to shed Mozgov's contract.

They likely traded away Russell because George is going to take his spot.

They are playing a very dangerous game here. If the trade for PG and he doesn't like what he sees this season, he could leave and the Lakers would have traded several young players ( counting both 1st round picks rumored in the trade ), and have cap space but nobody wanting to sign ( just like all the other years ).

The Lakers may ask him to sign an extension. Also, if they trade Randle and PG-13 decides to leave, they will still have only lost Randle and Russell. Still have whoever they draft this year, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac and Ingram. That's plenty of young core players.

It's possible that it could, bit not likely given the overall circumstances. This isn't Dwight/Nashv2.0

Reactions: DJ

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's still alot of assets traded away just to get the player you have a 90% chance of signing next offseason.

4 young players to get a guy you could get for nothing.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, but staying Pat instead of jumping the gun as they have, if PG decided to stay wherever he was traded, you still have a very solid young core of Ball, Russell, Ingram, Randle, Zubac and Clarkson.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing, what if they kept everybody and things clicked?

Then, you may not even need PG after all.

But rather than let the season play out, they are jumping the gun.

It just reaks of desperation, which they didn't need to be doing.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most teams aren't going to give up much for PG as a one year rental.

They should've stayed put, let the young guys develop, and if PG wanted to join next offseason, great. Then, you make moves to clear cap space, etc.

He's not going to leave. He wants to be here and Magic is part of that reason I believe. Plus, he knows James and another max free agent may come here to form another super team.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, but staying Pat instead of jumping the gun as they have, if PG decided to stay wherever he was traded, you still have a very solid young core of Ball, Russell, Ingram, Randle, Zubac and Clarkson.

Russell was on his way out after that snitching episode.....nobody in the locker-room trusted him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely wasted trade if they don't use this as a launching point for more trades. If this is a standalone move, its totally unnecessary to make this move now. You gave up a good asset for cap space you can't even use right now and you cut out a chance to up that asset's value.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Magic particularly didn't like Russell because of locker room and chemistry issues with the background of Russell's play inconsistency and he sheds that ridiculous Mosgov contract. But to turn around and offer the 27, 28, and Randle or Clarkson for PG is a bit too much for my tastes. He should hold on the rumored trade of those three players for PG. PG has made it quite clear that he is not interested in playing for anyone else but the Lakers. If I were Magic, and I am not, I'd offer the 28 and Clarkson for PG straight-up. Otherwise wait until next year and sign PG as a FA.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Lakers are getting stupid now.

Just read a report the Lakers offered the #2 to the Kings for #5 & #10.

Then, they were going to package one of those picks along with #27 & #28 plus a player to get PG.

All this for a player they can get for nothing next offseason.

Is this new FO really any better than the last? Cause so far, it's looking about the same.