• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: James Franklin to be named Penn ST HC

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love how lawdawg never answered when asked about how many times he has been to PSU

The same amount of times you've been to Vanderbilt.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this posted anywhere in this thread. To lazy to look

James Franklin won?t be leaving Vanderbilt anytime soon

I think it was but this is pretty much a done deal now. The issue is that somehow the PSU BOT isn't going to give this the official go ahead until they list the job publically today (although I don't know how they could have overlooked that) and they are apparently doing a conference call tomorrow to give it the final seal.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'd fit right in at Zig's Most Enchanted House of Teabags & Testicles.

that is the best one yet...:clap:

"most enchanted" very close to spitting coffee on the lapper.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there too. There was a bunch of red around me as I was in the old visitor section. That very we'll may have been from 4 years ago when MSU was the senior day.

Also a white out. Trying to remember the last senior day that was also a whiteout.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This past October, Penn State had a "White Out" for the "homecoming" game against Michigan. I was there and there was a very small amount of red/orange(Michigan fans) at the top part of the North end of the stadium. Hardly any Michigan fans at their tailgate section, so I suspect they were not well represented. 108,000 people and virtually every person was wearing a white Penn State Sweat shirt. The North end of the stadium is not shown in the picture on this thread. That could be a photo of that game. It was a clear day/night and the game started at 5PM, went 4 overtimes with the Lions winning at about 11 P.M. Longest game I have ever attended. Did some more tailgating and got home at 2 A.M. Great day/night.

I can see why there would be a small amount of Michigan fans wearing red or orange.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
InsideVandy.com has published an Open Letter to James Franklin and I think the guy makes a compelling case for staying.

Dear Mr. Franklin,
First off, I want to say thank you for what you have done to this football program over the past few years and the incredible time and effort you have put into making our program succeed. You came into one of the roughest sets of circumstances (short of NCAA sanctions) that I believe a coach could come into — a history of failure at a small private school with a very small fan base, tough academic standards and what appeared to be no prospects of it growing better anytime in the future — but you made it work. You never accepted failure, you won in the living room and you turned this program around in ways that many people simply could not have expected just a few years ago.
But now, Mr. Franklin, I have a question for you: Do you realize that your biggest change was in the hearts and minds of the students that live here on campus? Very few students were born and raised Commodores, and there is no real area where Vandy dominates the landscape like most SEC schools have. You didn’t have students coming in that would be revved up at the sight of Mr. C or lining up to reserve their seats for the games. No, Coach, you did something even more impresssive — you took kids who grew up on “War Eagle” and “O-H-I-O,” “Rock Chalk Jayhawk” and “Geaux Tigers,” and you made them believe. You convinced kids who watched one live football game total in their lifetime to figure out what “illegal man downfield” is. You made them all believe in the team that they went to class with, the team who wore their logo, who stood and represented them and you made us all Commodores. Anchor Down is now woven into the Vanderbilt community like no other symbol of pride, and this campus buzzes with anticipation at the future. It’s the car decals, the big, bold T-shirts, the flags, the sundresses, the V-U foam fingers and everything else that comes with believing in your team. It’s taken a while, but it’s happening.
Again, Coach, I must ask you, how do you want to be remembered? When you look at the job at State College, you have to admit, it’s a great opportunity. Two or three years away from being sanction-free, primetime matchups, a rabid fan base and one of the biggest and best stadiums in the nation. You would be on the fast track to being in a position to coach in big games for big teams very quickly. It all sounds good, but, in terms of history, where would it put you? Nick Saban has won three titles at Alabama, but Bear Bryant is a god in that state. Jim Tressel won a title and regularly pummeled Michigan, but most Ohioans will still look at Woody Hayes as the greatest. A certain JoePa still looms very large over that program, and everything you do will be compared to him always, no matter how long you stay, how much you win or how many players you help to graduate. You may get a statue, but you will never have the field named after you.
So, I ask, Mr. Franklin, for one very large favor: Please stay with us. You can be Bill Snyder at this place — you can take us to the top, you can set the bar of excellence for your team and the entire school and you can be loved and adored long after you retire. Years after you pass, they will remember you with reverence in the same place where they hold Hayes, Schembechler, Snyder and Royal. You can have the stadium named after you and have every single person walk past your statue on the way through the game. You can prove that you can be academically rigorous and still excel on the football field, which not many believe can be done. You can take these top recruiting classes you have been having and bring back trophies that will hold the highest places in our trophy case. Finally, you can be ours — we don’t have anyone else, you’re what we have and we will do anything to keep you.
Those who do things different in life are the ones who are remembered. Do something different here with us, Coach Franklin. We believe in you. Please believe in us. ANCHOR DOWN.

GUEST: An open letter to James Franklin - InsideVandy: Opinion

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bro is working at Vandy all weekend and he says there is optimism verging on confidence that Franklin is staying. :noidea:

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bro is working at Vandy all weekend and he says there is optimism verging on confidence that Franklin is staying. :noidea:

There always is until someone goes.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he stays. The AD was asked who would be on his short list of replacements, and he said, "I dont need a short list...I have a coach."

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be a hard decision for Franklin.Would love to see him turn Vandy into a big time threat in the SEC but as a Penn State fan I think he's as good as a hire as we can get at this time. If this truly is his dream job than I can't really blame the guy. Coaches suck as a whole any more. Loyalty is nowhere to be found. Buyout clauses suck but you won't find a coach without one.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If PSU's BOT fucks this up there will be serious hell to pay. it should have been done by now.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he does.... for now.

Yeah, that's exactly what he's supposed to say at this point.

Still, I like how all the parties are behaving. Franklin is being straight up with Vandy AND PSU. No Petrino-esque chicanery from him, and the Commodores are doing whatever they can within their limits to keep him there/happy. Nobody should come away with a bad taste after this is over.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just pulled up the weather report for State College and said "Fuck it, I'm stayin'!"

Last edited by a moderator: