• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

breaking down OREGON vs michigan state

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when has the PAC ever had dominating defenses? It's not a conference known for defense.
USC had a dominating defense 10 years ago, but yes you're right, not nowadays. Actually no conference nowadays, has a "dominating defense".

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC had a dominating defense 10 years ago, but yes you're right, not nowadays. Actually no conference nowadays, has a "dominating defense".
Sir, as if this thread wasn't already crowded. You've just opened the gates to SEC outlash.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sir, as if this thread wasn't already crowded. You've just opened the gates to SEC outlash.
Yeah I know, but the SEC hasn't had "dominating defense" for the last two years. Bring the SEC fans on!!!!!

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all will doubt Oregon this game. Oregon will once again prove you all wrong...

next time you'll doubt Oregon like this is the month off between the CCG and the first playoff game. Ponder over it during Christmas, thinking Oregon cant get it done.

Then playoffs come, Oregon wins.

dejavu
What the shit are you talking about?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, Stanford did that twice....

two times.
How do you not have multiple championships if all that's happened is Stanford figuring it out twice?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take current success and relevance than having something to point to in a text book from 1960.
That is still not tradition. He was responding to you talking about some mysterious or nonexistant oregon 'tradition.'

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you OD.

I just wish Yeo was here to appreciate it.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Michigan State's performance in Kalamazoo was disappointing.
  • Western Michigan only racked up 18 net rushing yards (on 23 attempts) but passed for 365 totally unacceptable yards...even so
  • At no point, ever, during the game was there any question as to the eventual winner.
  • Narduzzi is a defensive genius and will be missed; comforting thought, though, is that Dantonio taught him everything he knows.
  • MSU is at least as talent-rich as Oregon is - in all positions (QB Cook is backed-up by two guys who would be starting for most teams.)
  • AP thinks MSU is the better team...Vegas thinks MSU is the likely winner...and fans across the fuckn country are so tired of bloviating blowhards like the OP that MSU is heavily favored by default.
  • How important is this game? Reminds me of this scene from KINGDOM OF HEAVEN:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon can simply outscore almost every team in the nation and not care about their own defense. They are built like that. When they find a team that can frustrate them from the defensive side it shows.

So, what you're saying is, Oregon is the Air Coryell Chargers or the Mike D'Antoni Suns?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon dismantled USC and Pete Carrolls defenses.

Really?!? Dismantled?

Oregon played USC 7 times in the Pete Carroll era and averaged 23 points per game. The most points they scored in any one of those games was 47 in his last season.

Outside of that, they scored 33 once in a loss to USC. They scored 24 twice, 13 once and 10 twice. If that's your definition of "dismantling," I'd like to suggest a new dictionary.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Michigan State's performance in Kalamazoo was disappointing.
  • Western Michigan only racked up 18 net rushing yards (on 23 attempts) but passed for 365 totally unacceptable yards...even so
  • At no point, ever, during the game was there any question as to the eventual winner.
  • Narduzzi is a defensive genius and will be missed; comforting thought, though, is that Dantonio taught him everything he knows.
  • MSU is at least as talent-rich as Oregon is - in all positions (QB Cook is backed-up by two guys who would be starting for most teams.)
  • AP thinks MSU is the better team...Vegas thinks MSU is the likely winner...and fans across the fuckn country are so tired of bloviating blowhards like the OP that MSU is heavily favored by default.
  • How important is this game? Reminds me of this scene from KINGDOM OF HEAVEN:

I disagree with your take on the MSU-WMU game. MSU was up 27-7 in the 2nd quarter and 34-10 in the 3rd. That is pretty safe IMO. Oregon had the same thing. EWU scored most of their points after Oregon had a huge lead.

I agree with everything else.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? Dismantled?

Oregon played USC 7 times in the Pete Carroll era and averaged 23 points per game. The most points they scored in any one of those games was 47 in his last season.

Outside of that, they scored 33 once in a loss to USC. They scored 24 twice, 13 once and 10 twice. If that's your definition of "dismantling," I'd like to suggest a new dictionary.

Iowa led 7-0 in their game against USC in 2002 (Iowa returned the opening kick off for TD). That could count as dominating USC...right?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams have questionable secondaries, and I believe we will see lots of passing yards produced by both offenses.

The deciding factor should be in the trenches.. this is where Michigan State should prevail. The Spartans arguably have one of the top three D-lines in the nation as well as one of the top three O-lines in the nation... remember this come the 4th quarter. The MSU line play should eventually wear down the Ducks on both sides of the ball.

The first half of the game should be very close, with Oregon possibly even having the lead at halftime. But the superior Spartans O & D lines should take control of the game in the late stages of the contest. I would not be surprised at all if the Spartans have possession of the ball 10 minutes or more of the 4th quarter... and this will mean Oregon won't be able to score if the Ducks offense doesn't have the ball in the 4th quarter due to the Ducks defense being totally worn out by the relentless pounding by the Spartans offensive line.

The Spartans O line should be able to pass protect Cook better than the Ducks O line is able to pass protect Vernon Adams... the Spartans pass rush led by Shilique Calhoun should be able to put more heat on Adams than the Ducks pass rush on Cook due to the Spartans top-notch O line.

Again, the superior Spartans line play should make the difference in this game. I say should, because turnovers can change everything, and I believe this will be a close game which could be decided by turnovers or special teams play. It should be a very entertaining game.

If I had to pick a winner, I guess I'll go along with Vegas and say the Spartans will prevail by 3 or 4 points.

Last edited: