• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brady to play forever, Arods rehab, and much much more...

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB has approved the trade of Alfonso Soriano to Yankees (& cash changing hands) and Soriano has officially waved no-trade DEAL is OFFICIAL

Still no final word on who the Cubs picked, but it's sounding like Corey Black over Tommy Kahnle.

Black is projected as a starter, Kahnle a reliever, so that makes sense for the Cubs. I like Kahnle's chances at making an impact at the MLB level better.

Wonder how much $$$ the Yanks are taking on?

i heard 7 million of the remaining contract

which is a steal if he produces

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard 7 million of the remaining contract

which is a steal if he produces

They need to pay it all this year, if possible.

Unless they know more about what's going to happen to A-Rod's $$$ then they're letting on.

It is pretty clear they're trying to delay his re-hab until MLB can hand out their penalty.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless they know more about what's going to happen to A-Rod's $$$ then they're letting on.

It is pretty clear they're trying to delay his re-hab until MLB can hand out their penalty.

what i read off a linked twitter feed is Yanks pay most of salary this year and cubs pick up most of salary for next year

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The question is, when do they get charged with insurance fraud?

It's a joke dirt...don't lose you're fucking mind over it...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francesca biggest lowlife in the world

Lord I hate that man

And an Arod apologist

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they are...

Wade's denial of PEDs in NBA hardly believable

Derrick Rose either did or did not say performance-enhancing drugs are a "huge" problem in the NBA. And we're fine with either contention. You have to define "PEDs," "huge" and "problem," of course, but that's just another of those eye-of-the-beholder things.

But the part of the Rose story (see Comrade Berger for further edification) that's fascinating is the response by Dwyane Wade.

"Haven't seen nothing, haven't heard nothing," Wade said. "No. I just don't think there is [a doping problem]. It's nothing I've ever experienced in basketball. Never seen it. It's nothing that I think takes place."

Well, that's exactly the response baseball players had until they started getting caught, and cyclists until they started getting caught, and football players until they started getting caught. "Sure, it's a problem somewhere, but not my sport. It's too specialized, too graceful, too blah-blah-blah-de-blah-blah."

In other words, the NBA is like every other sport. It has skills that drugs can enhance. You just have to find the right drugs.

And just as Charles Barkley said about gays in sports, drugs are there too. They don't avoid the NBA. It's foolish to think otherwise.

And why, you ask? Because not every performance-enhancer makes you musclebound. Some merely restore you to health quicker. Some help enhance your eyesight. Some help with the intricacies of blood doping. There are lots of ways to perform, and lots of ways to enhance those ways.

The myth here, the one Wade is either subscribing to or relying upon for his denial, is that you can spot a drug user a mile away. Well, you can't.

Oh, there's the back acne test, and the enlarged skull test, and the sudden-weight-gain test, and the right-after-retirement weight-loss test, and the hit-the-ball-father-throw-it-faster test, and all the other eyeball tests that sportswriters in particular like to employ to mask the fact that almost none of them are chemists.

But performance enhancing is not an eyeball test sort of thing. Just as there are lots of ways to do it, there are lots of ways to mask it, both internally and externally.

In short, Dwyane Wade's analysis is not all that helpful because: a) he is protecting the logo like any company man would; b) because he isn't up on everything with every team, because nobody can be, and; c) because the best way to suspect PED use is to hear someone deny it.

This is not a categorical "every player in the NBA is on hell-crank" type of rant. We have no good idea, and the league's testing protocols only go so far. In fact, the only way to know is for someone who either uses or distributes to run afoul of the law or turn on his or her fellow conspirators, which is the way almost all the other drug cases have come to light.

But it is naïve to think performance-enhancing drugs haven't intruded on basketball, and denials as strident as Wade's must be taken with a metric ton of salt because they follow so many others just like it, which all turned out to be great steaming whoppers.

The Rose part of the story is that in speaking with ESPN The Magazine and asked to rate PED use in the NBA on a scale of 1 to 10, he responded, "Seven. It's huge and I think we need a level playing field, where nobody has that advantage over the next person."

You can take his subsequent denials and claims that he may not have fully understood the question as posed for what they are worth. We make no judgment either way. For its part, ESPN issued a statement Monday standing firmly behind its characterization of Rose's remarks.

But the absurdity of thinking the NBA is drug-free is a lot like the absurdity of thinking it is gay-free, to go back to Barkley's comments on the subject last week. It is, as we said, where you decide to define "huge" and "problem" that leaves the rest of us hanging.

The NBA hasn't had a major PED scandal, so it's no problem for David Stern. Nobody has pointed an accusatory finger at LeBron James or Kobe Bryant or Kevin Durant or Dirk Nowitzki or, yes, Rose. Or Wade, for that matter. So it's not a problem for them, either.

But problems tend to announce themselves at their own time, so let's go easy on the "It's nothing I think takes place" stuff. It surely does. It may be isolated, and it may be miniscule, but it's there because nobody at this level of income and revenue can assume that it isn't. That would be madness.

And, given the new Lance Armstrong revelations/claims, madness is where you find it.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfonso Soriano on the biogenesis list

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is, when do they get charged with insurance fraud?

It's a joke dirt...don't lose you're fucking mind over it...

LOL

What a fiasco this whole things has become.

I mean, even in the 70s', Bronx Zoo days, Reggie had his supporters in the FO.

A-Rod is on an island.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francesca biggest lowlife in the world

Lord I hate that man

And an Arod apologist

Yeah...pretty much a total fuckstick....him falling asleep on the air was, however, priceless...

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

What a fiasco this whole things has become.

I mean, even in the 70s', Bronx Zoo days, Reggie had his supporters in the FO.

A-Rod is on an island.

The question becomes, what happens if he's not banned for life (which I don't believe he will be) and they can't get the contract voided (I think they'll try but it'll be tough)...what the fuck do the yankees do if he chooses not to retire? Do they just buy him out? $86m guaranteed remaining? Think they'd almost have too...and then he'll get the bonds treatment and complain owners are colluding against him to keep him out of baseball...

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...pretty much a total fuckstick....him falling asleep on the air was, however, priceless...

Try to find the call he took right before the 2011 ALDS, where he ridiculed a caller for suggesting the Tigers had a reliever named Al Albuquerque.

He never heard of him, so the caller must be pulling a prank.

:L

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question becomes, what happens if he's not banned for life (which I don't believe he will be) and they can't get the contract voided (I think they'll try but it'll be tough)...what the fuck do the yankees do if he chooses not to retire? Do they just buy him out? $86m guaranteed remaining? Think they'd almost have too...and then he'll get the bonds treatment and complain owners are colluding against him to keep him out of baseball...

hes going to make bobby bonilla look like a poor financial planner by comparison

deal wont be voided, yankees will have to pay him off

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's facing a long ban, no matter how you look at it. At least a season I would imagine. So they'll save at least that much $$$, which isn't insignificant.

Yanks win big clearly, if he's perma-banned, but any lengthy unpaid suspension is going to be a good thing.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you haven't checked out this site before...do so...they've got some pretty hysterical bits...

Falcons Coach Uses Phrase, "Yes, Seriously" 17 Times While Announcing Matt Ryan Contract - ProFootballMock.com - ProFootballMock.com

Home / Time Capsule / Falcons Coach Uses Phrase, “Yes, Seriously” 17 Times While Announcing Matt Ryan Contract
Falcons Coach Uses Phrase, “Yes, Seriously” 17 Times While Announcing Matt Ryan Contract

"We're paying him $103.75 million. Yes, seriously!" says GM

ATLANTA – Falcons head coach Mike Smith, during a press conference to announce the signing of QB Matt Ryan to a five-year, $103.75 million contract extension, used the phrase “yes, seriously” seventeen times while answering questions from skeptical reporters regarding the deal.

“All of us in the Falcons organization feel that Matt is fully deserving of this contract that makes him the second highest paid player in the entire league, and we’re very excited… what? Yes, seriously,” said Smith, in response to a nearby reporter. “Moreover, we’ve guaranteed him a $63 million, three-year payout that is the most in league history and… yes, seriously. Fellas, can you just let me get through this please?”

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you haven't checked out this site before...do so...they've got some pretty hysterical bits...

Falcons Coach Uses Phrase, "Yes, Seriously" 17 Times While Announcing Matt Ryan Contract - ProFootballMock.com - ProFootballMock.com

Sportschic response:

Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up! Crack me up!