• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Boise State vs BYU

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play them on ESPN2 10:15 ET next Saturday

they had the unfortunate season ending injury to Taysom Hill

but it doesn't help us any, this Tanner Mangum kid seems to be the real deal, he was thrust into action against Nebraska on the road and handled himself well, now he has a full week to prepare as the starter before facing us

We do know he has a big arm, and those BYU receivers are tall and present a difficult matchup for our shorter yet good corners

We definitely have to watch out for the hail mary pass, they are very good at those

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waited all day Saturday to hopefully hear that Finley had eaten some bad seafood for lunch the day before to explain the miserable performance. Story never broke. I feel great about the defense and would not even be concerned about the special teams breakdown, as I think that is workable.

But let's face it, we should have beaten the Huskies on the lines of 40-10 with this team. If Finley doesn't pull it together and the staff can't open up the playbook to help him, we are in big trouble. Remember that team that beat Nebraska gets half it real defense back.

Still hopeful, but not optimistic after that start last week.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waited all day Saturday to hopefully hear that Finley had eaten some bad seafood for lunch the day before to explain the miserable performance. Story never broke. I feel great about the defense and would not even be concerned about the special teams breakdown, as I think that is workable.

But let's face it, we should have beaten the Huskies on the lines of 40-10 with this team. If Finley doesn't pull it together and the staff can't open up the playbook to help him, we are in big trouble. Remember that team that beat Nebraska gets half it real defense back.

Still hopeful, but not optimistic after that start last week.

So far I'm worried too, Finley has to work on handling the blitz, because from what Bronco Mendenhall has been saying so far this week, he basically plans on blitzing us every single play

either we finally hit some of those deep balls we missed to open things up,

or we're in for a real long night

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finley was too quick to pull the ball down and take off running, he needs to trust his O-line and give the receiver time to get open. When he did run he looked good. A lot of the plays reminded me of Prince calling the plays again, If the run up the middle didn't work lets run it until it does. :L NOT!!! we need to put some thought into this.

Mangum was the co-MVP to Winston in the Elite 11 he will test our D for sure.

could be a long night in Provo

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finley was too quick to pull the ball down and take off running, he needs to trust his O-line and give the receiver time to get open. When he did run he looked good. A lot of the plays reminded me of Prince calling the plays again, If the run up the middle didn't work lets run it until it does. :L NOT!!! we need to put some thought into this.

Mangum was the co-MVP to Winston in the Elite 11 he will test our D for sure.

could be a long night in Provo

It really could be, Finley kind of struggled overall, I'm worried he could have had tunnel vision where he basically couldn't see the field, BYU knows it too, Mendenhall has basically said they're going to blitz us and we're not going to hit our deep throws

hitting some deep passes early in the game will loosen up the defense a bit and allow us to run a better offense

I wouldn't call it Prince bad, that was just absolutely horrible, the playcalling in the first half was good I thought, the second half was way too conservative, we definitely can't afford to start doing the whole playing not to lose offense and prevent defense in the second half of games, we've blown so many games in the past doing those, and we saw both on Friday.

Mangum is technically a freshman but he really isn't, our defense won't have the easiest times defending him.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really could be, Finley kind of struggled overall, I'm worried he could have had tunnel vision where he basically couldn't see the field, BYU knows it too, Mendenhall has basically said they're going to blitz us and we're not going to hit our deep throws

hitting some deep passes early in the game will loosen up the defense a bit and allow us to run a better offense

I wouldn't call it Prince bad, that was just absolutely horrible, the playcalling in the first half was good I thought, the second half was way too conservative, we definitely can't afford to start doing the whole playing not to lose offense and prevent defense in the second half of games, we've blown so many games in the past doing those, and we saw both on Friday.

Mangum is technically a freshman but he really isn't, our defense won't have the easiest times defending him.

No not as bad as Prince, first half was good but their DC made great half time adjustments, and we just kept trying the same run play in the second half.
Paper said this week we will see more of Demas in this game, As i said last year he will be one to watch, but Ajayi still the show. Demas ave. 5 yards per carry last week, if we can get him to the out side he has the speed 4.2 to be gone.
Should be a good game

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trio of running backs we have right now

They all each have their own threat

McNichols is the primary back who can do it all

Demas is the speedy back

and Young is the shifty back who will make guys miss, I was impressed at how many Washington players missed tackling him, hopefully the fumbles don't become an issue with him though.