• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Trap Game" #9 FCS McNeese St. vs #25 BYU

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e-state.html&usg=AOvVaw0i0mKFP1SeAIaOIUa3XEIX

When McNeese State visits LaVell Edwards Stadium Saturday (4 p.m., MDT, BYUtv), the Cowboys will try to beat the team that beat the Badgers.

“We took the target off Wisconsin and now the target’s on us,” said defensive lineman Corbin Kaufusi. “We believe they’ll be coming full steam ahead after us. We’ve got to be on top of our game this week.”

Truth is, McNeese State (3-0), from Lake Charles, Louisiana, and the Southland Conference, is also ranked — No. 9 in the FCS. The Cowboys have 16 FCS playoff appearances and are coming off a big win over Nicholls State.

BYU offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes, the former offensive line coach at LSU, addressed the danger of “trap games” with his players early in the week. Besides, he knows how athletic and talented McNeese State is.

They’ve got a big offensive line, a tough running back and excellent position players. That’s really typical of FCS and the Southland Conference.
BYU assistant head coach Ed Lamb, on McNeese State

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OR
BYU just really isn't that good.
Trap or not.

Either way, if McNeese St. wins it will be one of the biggest upsets of the year and the biggest win for the program.

Best program win to date is against USF ( still a record for biggest margin of defeat by FBS to FCS) and have come close in other games.

I don’t ever worry about getting our guys up to play. Our guys think they’re going to win. They really do.
McNeese State head coach Lance Guidry

Guidry predicted that BYU coach Kalani Sitake would tell his players about McNeese State losing to 19th-ranked Nebraska in 2014 on a last-second touchdown. In 2008, the Cowboys lost by a touchdown at North Carolina but only after a late 82-yard punt return and a 52-yard touchdown pass. In 2001, McNeese State had a 24-10 lead at Texas A&M before the Aggies rallied for a 38-24 victory.

“I’m smart enough to know that this is lagniappe,” said Guidry, who admitted his team’s season won’t be ruined by a loss in Provo. “It’s extra if we get it done, plus we get a big check.”

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game has a lot of hangover to it. I think I got it pretty close. I don't know if it has the shock that BYU over Wisconsin at Camp Randall or Eastern Michigan over Purdue. I would put it at the same level as SDSU at Arizona State. By the end of the year, it won't be as big.

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game has a lot of hangover to it. I think I got it pretty close. I don't know if it has the shock that BYU over Wisconsin at Camp Randall or Eastern Michigan over Purdue. I would put it at the same level as SDSU at Arizona State. By the end of the year, it won't be as big.

As an alumnus of, and a supporter of all things McNeese St. I hope we get the upset.