• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bochy be Gone... who do you want?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul Ibanez is refusing to interview for managerial jobs, so he appears to be out. Also, Joe Maddon is the strong favorite to take over the Angels' helm (which seemed pretty obvious from the point he became available when the Cubs decided not to bring him back).

Where do you see this?

He might be changing his mind now that the dodgers are out.

This leads into my next question for the peanut gallery, if LA fires Dave Roberts, would you want the Giants to hire him?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you see this?

This leads into my next question for the peanut gallery, if LA fires Dave Roberts, would you want the Giants to hire him?

Only if Noggin can be the bullpen coach by telephone. Roberts is well loved here. He has learned some very painful lessons managing on the big stage. He cannot seem to manage a bullpen, one of Noggin's specialties. And he kept turning to Kerchoke at inopportune times. Still, he seems to be a guy FZ likes. Why not?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you see this?

Raul Ibanez Not Interested In Interviewing For Managerial Posts

I'm not sure I'd want Dave Roberts managing in SF. He seems the opposite of Bochy - cannot get heavily talent laden teams to win it all (versus Bochy, who took a bunch of scrappy players to 3 WS titles).

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you see this?

I don't.

I don't know who I want.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if Noggin can be the bullpen coach by telephone. Roberts is well loved here. He has learned some very painful lessons managing on the big stage. He cannot seem to manage a bullpen, one of Noggin's specialties. And he kept turning to Kerchoke at inopportune times. Still, he seems to be a guy FZ likes. Why not?

Honestly, I don't fault him that much for going to Kershaw. Was it predictable? Yeah probably. He's also your horse and still putting up great numbers.

Bringing Joe Kelly out for a second inning was questionable. Completely avoiding Jansen makes me think something else was going on there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul Ibanez Not Interested In Interviewing For Managerial Posts

I'm not sure I'd want Dave Roberts managing in SF. He seems the opposite of Bochy - cannot get heavily talent laden teams to win it all (versus Bochy, who took a bunch of scrappy players to 3 WS titles).

Thanks.

Playoffs are a crapshoot, but it's undoubtedly a bad look for Roberts with all that talent they had.

I would be okay with him, but at the same time it would feel quite weird to have not one but two former dodgers from their current regime spearheading our new one.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Playoffs are a crapshoot, but it's undoubtedly a bad look for Roberts with all that talent they had.

I would be okay with him, but at the same time it would feel quite weird to have not one but two former dodgers from their current regime spearheading our new one.
Well, Roberts does have some Giants' blood from his playing days.
I do think it would be foolhardy for the Dodgers to jettison Roberts. Sure, he's gone to the playoffs every year he's managed and has yet to win a WS title but it doesn't seem like changing guys who are mostly successful works very often. Usually, when it does, the guy that gets replaced was just starting the winning and the one who replaces him reaps the benefits. Who knows, though. If the Dodgers do fire him, that will make them the 10th MLB team looking for a new manager.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Roberts does have some Giants' blood from his playing days.
I do think it would be foolhardy for the Dodgers to jettison Roberts. Sure, he's gone to the playoffs every year he's managed and has yet to win a WS title but it doesn't seem like changing guys who are mostly successful works very often. Usually, when it does, the guy that gets replaced was just starting the winning and the one who replaces him reaps the benefits. Who knows, though. If the Dodgers do fire him, that will make them the 10th MLB team looking for a new manager.

Looks like a moot point

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors is keeping tabs on all managerial openings. Here is the list they have for the Giants' reported interests:

Giants
Interviewing
  • Pedro Grifol: Royals quality control and catching coach
  • Gabe Kapler: Former Phillies manager, former Dodgers director of player development
  • Mark Kotsay: Athletics quality control coach, former Padres hitting coach & baseball operations special assistant
  • Hensley Meulens: Giants bench coach
  • Ron Wotus: Giants third base coach
  • Matt Quatraro: Rays bench coach, former Indians assistant hitting coach
  • Will Venable: Cubs first base coach
Reportedly Under Consideration
  • Raul Ibanez: Dodgers special assistant
  • Mike Matheny: Former Cardinals manager
  • Joe Espada: Astros bench coach
Grifol is under consideration by the Royals.
Kapler has interviewed with the Cubs.
Kotsay is under consideration by the Pirates.
Venable has interviewed with the Cubs.
Matheny could be considered by the Mets, Padres and Royals.
Espada has interviewed with the Cubs and under consideration by the Pirates.

Meulens, Wotus and Quatraro are not connected to any other searches. Ibanez has publicly stated he is not interested in any managerial openings so I'm not sure why he still shows on this list.