• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops not in the media this week

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob actually had his pre-Spring Practice presser this week.

Good stuff. He sounds confident...COCKY even.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He spoke yesterday.

Said winter workouts haven't been this intense since 1999.
:L

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops is walking around proud as a three-peckered billy goat after the Sooners laid the wood to Alabama. And he's definitely cocky again. But until he can coach a team again that doesn't lay a huge egg at least a couple of times during the season I'm going to take it all with a grain of salt. First he's got to beat Texas and that's no gimme. Then he's got to keep hope alive with an offensive coordinator who has a reputation for brain farts in the second half. And we should all pray Tevor Knight doesn't go down again because, let's face it, he's injury prone and we do not have a second team QB who can carry the team if he is out X number of games. I've heard Stoops run his head for a long time now then his team didn't play well after the season started. I hope they do well this year. We'll see in a few months.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops is walking around proud as a three-peckered billy goat after the Sooners laid the wood to Alabama. And he's definitely cocky again. But until he can coach a team again that doesn't lay a huge egg at least a couple of times during the season I'm going to take it all with a grain of salt. First he's got to beat Texas and that's no gimme. Then he's got to keep hope alive with an offensive coordinator who has a reputation for brain farts in the second half. And we should all pray Tevor Knight doesn't go down again because, let's face it, he's injury prone and we do not have a second team QB who can carry the team if he is out X number of games. I've heard Stoops run his head for a long time now then his team didn't play well after the season started. I hope they do well this year. We'll see in a few months.

Err...

I'd much rather have a coach with a little moxie and attitude than some P.C. simp spouting "...well we'll just have to wait and see..."

That attitude and "swagger" will propagate to the staff and team.

Something this team has sorely lacked for some time.

Anything can happen in a season...so why let the possibilities temper your enthusiasm?

Fuck them all...we're OKLAHOMA.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Err...

I'd much rather have a coach with a little moxie and attitude than some P.C. simp spouting "...well we'll just have to wait and see..."

That attitude and "swagger" will propagate to the staff and team.

Something this team has sorely lacked for some time.

Anything can happen in a season...so why let the possibilities temper your enthusiasm?

Fuck them all...we're OKLAHOMA.

Nothing wrong with moxie IF you produce. Bob Stoops tries to pull it off but he's been a day late and dollar short so many times I don't want to hear another damn word about how great things are going to be. I want to see how great things are. Barry Switzer was full of moxie too and he backed it up 90% of the time. Bob? Maybe 20% of the time since 2004. All I'm saying is he hasn't won a NC for years and I'm tired of waiting. Stop talking and start doing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with moxie IF you produce. Bob Stoops tries to pull it off but he's been a day late and dollar short so many times I don't want to hear another damn word about how great things are going to be. I want to see how great things are. Barry Switzer was full of moxie too and he backed it up 90% of the time. Bob? Maybe 20% of the time since 2004. All I'm saying is he hasn't won a NC for years and I'm tired of waiting. Stop talking and start doing.

Barry was almost let go after a series of 7-8 win seasons. I think you've let time change your perception of the past.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry was almost let go after a series of 7-8 win seasons. I think you've let time change your perception of the past.

Switzer had 1 seven win season and 2 eight win seasons then went back to 11 win seasons and a National Championship. Bob hasn't done that yet.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The early 80's were not kind to Switzer.

Yea, only 1 National Championship in the 80's. A really shitty decade including another couple of 11 win seasons. He did fine on the field; it was in the dorm that the problems were really bad.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switzer had 1 seven win season and 2 eight win seasons then went back to 11 win seasons and a National Championship. Bob hasn't done that yet.

He did go 10 years between the 2nd and 3rd NC though. It's hard to win two in a row as very few teams have done it. Still Bob hasn't done much except get to the title game 4 times and just one win to show for it.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did go 10 years between the 2nd and 3rd NC though. It's hard to win two in a row as very few teams have done it. Still Bob hasn't done much except get to the title game 4 times and just one win to show for it.

I'll take 1 out of 4, rather than none at all...any day.

Dwelling on the foibles of the past really does nothing for today.

If it gets bad enough, change will come. There's no urgency to unload a quality coach I hope.

Change will never come when you're averaging 10-11 games per season.

We're spoiled fans, that's for sure.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take 1 out of 4, rather than none at all...any day.

Dwelling on the foibles of the past really does nothing for today.

If it gets bad enough, change will come. There's no urgency to unload a quality coach I hope.

Change will never come when you're averaging 10-11 games per season.

We're spoiled fans, that's for sure.

We're Oklahoma. We are expected to compete on an elite level. If my best employees were failing on 75% of their biggest transactions I would not consider that to be performance on an elite level. If a guy was striking out 75% of the time he was batting with the bases loaded that would be an abysmal record. If a coach who got to the NC game got curb stomped or soundly beaten 75% of the time he'd be a national joke. Point is: Bob Stoops is a good coach at a great school producing good results and not great results. But he'll be there until he decides to quit taking $5 Million/year or until Boren and Castiglione fall out of love with him. Replace him? No. Venerate him? No effin' way. He's been over paid and under performing since at least 2004. It's time he wins a NC again......but that's assuming he can (a) get back to the Big Game and (b) get his winning percentage in that game up to 40%.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're Oklahoma. We are expected to compete on an elite level. If my best employees were failing on 75% of their biggest transactions I would not consider that to be performance on an elite level. If a guy was striking out 75% of the time he was batting with the bases loaded that would be an abysmal record. If a coach who got to the NC game got curb stomped or soundly beaten 75% of the time he'd be a national joke. Point is: Bob Stoops is a good coach at a great school producing good results and not great results. But he'll be there until he decides to quit taking $5 Million/year or until Boren and Castiglione fall out of love with him. Replace him? No. Venerate him? No effin' way. He's been over paid and under performing since at least 2004. It's time he wins a NC again......but that's assuming he can (a) get back to the Big Game and (b) get his winning percentage in that game up to 40%.

Howard Schellenberger
Garry Gibbs
John Blake
Bob Stoops

I'll take Bob 7 days a week and twice on Saturdays.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A) Bob only got curb stomped in one NC. Sorry, but you're running rampant with hyperbole again.

B) The baseball analogy just doesn't work on any level.

C) You seem to think coaches that deliver 10-11 win seasons and shots at the title game grow on trees. They don't. Again, you seem to have let time make you forget the past and the run of coaches we had before Stoops. Hell, even your perceptions of switzer are inaccurate.

Has Bob under performed at times in the last ten years? Absolutely, but he's still a damn good coach and seems to have built another team potential of contention for the title for a few years. I for one am not so quick to string the man up.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some OU fans just don't like Stoops.

It's pretty sad when you think about it......:noidea:

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's so sad about demanding the guy produce at the level he's being compensated? I pay some hellish salaries and bonuses to people and they earn those based on performance. OU fans who defend Bob Stoops for the way he's failed to win NC's three times is beyond me. He got curb stomped once and in at least one other game the coaching was an embarrassment. Anyone wishing to argue that point is delusional. I'm not claiming the guy is deserving of being fired. I am saying Bob Stoops is NOT going to win another NC at OU unless we catch lightening in a bottle. Why? Look at his record of horrible, horrible losses over the past 10 years. Not losses to teams that were just better than OU (understandable!) but losses to teams that shouldn't have been within 2 touchdowns of the Sooners. Is he better than Charlie Strong? Yes. Briles? Yes. Gundy? Yes. Saban? No. Shaw? No. Meyer? No. He's a good coach...no doubt about it. But he's not the guy to win more NC's even if he still had players like he used to have. Our talent level has fallen off and our coaching staff is weaker than it used to be. One win over Alabama, as nice as it was, doesn't change the trend that has been established over the past 10 years. Fans who claim anything is better than Gibbs, Blake, etc. are ridiculous. That's like saying any coach that doesn't match Bud Wilkinson's record is a loser. BS. Coaches are like women; never judge one by the other one.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think I'm reading that wall of text?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard Schellenberger
Garry Gibbs
John Blake
Bob Stoops

I'll take Bob 7 days a week and twice on Saturdays.

Is that pertinent? All 3 were dealing with the effects of NCAA sanctions. How about comparing to guys like Wilkinson, Fairbanks, and Switzer. Schellenberger was only there 1 yr. He was a very solid coach prior, just didnt work out. Gibbs was a buffoon. Stoops is a solid coach, but I would guess most OU fans place him #3 amongst OU coaches.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldbug I love the passion but IMO you can't count on one hand who'd be better at OU than stoops.