• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blowing up the Big 12

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC didnt even want WVU back in 2010 when the first shift happened, which is how the Big12 got them. The chances that the ACC will even look at WVU before Dame is below 0%.
WVU would be added along with Notre Dame in the ACC's wet dream scenario.

The ACC has looked down on WVU since the day the conference was formed in 1953. Everyone talks about the Big Ten's obsession with AAU, but for a long time the ACC consisted exclusively of schools that were ranked in the top 100 of the US News college rankings. Regardless of how accurate or how trash you feel the US News rankings are, none of the other major conferences were ranked as high on that metric as the ACC schools.. That changed when Maryland left, the ACC was put in survival mode and added Louisville. Academics no longer matter to the ACC, it's all about surviving.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU would be added along with Notre Dame in the ACC's wet dream scenario.
Let's say that ND continues to do the half-ass membership thing. Do you think the ACC should continue to oblige them, or just run with someone like ECU to help get to 16?

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say that ND continues to do the half-ass membership thing. Do you think the ACC should continue to oblige them, or just run with someone like ECU to help get to 16?
I think the ACC should stay at 14 under that scenario. WVU/ECU/Cincy aren't going to increase revenue for the conference and would dilute the amount of money each school would receive. Unless Notre Dame can grant the ACC a hail mary, then the ACC is going to cease to exist in about 10-15 years. Same thing with the Pac-12.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the ACC should tell ND to go fuck themselves.
Tell us how you really feel.

I have no problem with that in principle, but the $ is insane, where the Domers are involved. You just don't get that with Cincinnati, to say the least.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the ACC should stay at 14 under that scenario. WVU/ECU/Cincy aren't going to increase revenue for the conference and would dilute the amount of money each school would receive. Unless Notre Dame can grant the ACC a hail mary, then the ACC is going to cease to exist in about 10-15 years. Same thing with the Pac-12.
If the B1G and and/or another conference (P12, new AAC-hybrid/whatever) go to 16, I think the NCAA will coerce the ACC into getting there, too. Especially if the "pod" (4-per) system becomes the new dominant paradigm. Cause if that happens, I think they'll re-design the playoff calculations to reflect the new structure. The question would be whether they would put the screws to ND, and make it a de facto "join a conference, or you're not eligible for the playoffs". They probably won't, though, as the Domers always seem to get their way.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KU and ISU go to the B1G, Nebraska will be the winner in football. They'll finally have an actual in conference rival that fights at their weight. How sad is that?

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the B1G and and/or another conference (P12, new AAC-hybrid/whatever) go to 16, I think the NCAA will coerce the ACC into getting there, too. Especially if the "pod" (4-per) system becomes the new dominant paradigm. Cause if that happens, I think they'll re-design the playoff calculations to reflect the new structure. The question would be whether they would put the screws to ND, and make it a de facto "join a conference, or you're not eligible for the playoffs". They probably won't, though, as the Domers always seem to get their way.
tbh, I don't think the Big Ten expands unless their commissioner panics and adds teams just to keep the illusion that they're keeping pace with the SEC. There really isn't an attractive option for the Big Ten right now, unless they they pull the trigger and try to court USC and Oregon.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KU and ISU go to the B1G, Nebraska will be the winner in football. They'll finally have an actual in conference rival that fights at their weight. How sad is that?
Nebraska honestly is shocking the hell out of me. Can't believe they can't get themselves put together.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tbh, I don't think the Big Ten expands unless their commissioner panics and adds teams just to keep the illusion that they're keeping pace with the SEC. There really isn't an attractive option for the Big Ten right now, unless they they pull the trigger and try to court USC and Oregon.
They need to have a mob style "sit down" with ND and tell them to get their heads out of their ass and join the B1G............ that is the attractive one to add. and I don't have a problem adding two middle of the pack teams in WVA and OKla St.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA doesn't control conference membership.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The absolute last thing that the four remaining P5 schools need right now is the Big XII collapsing. It gives the G5 conferences the power when it comes to NCAA governance by giving them a 5-4 voting advantage for FBS football issues.

And with the Big XII being an autonomy conference and holding more valuable bowl contracts they should be the poachers, not the poached. They hold numerous more advantages over the G5 conferences, and none of their schools bring enough to the table to increase revenue for any of the other four P5 conferences.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAC will add from the Bxii remnants. Okie lite, TT, K St and maybe TCU.
UCF may end up as a target for the B1G, being at 55k in enrollment is a major plus for them,and opening the Florida market to the B1G.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confident OSU will end up in the PAC and they can compete for that title every year.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In retrospect, I believe you are correct. The Big 10 won't jump on the 16-team bandwagon just because the SEC went there. It would have to be the right fit, and have to be beneficial to the league - monetarily & otherwise. I don't think Kansas & Iowa St. would move the needle that much, and they are the only AAU schools ripe for the picking.

I really don't think the SEC was actively looking to expand, but it's hard to say no when programs like Texas & Oklahoma show up on your doorstep begging to be let in.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confident OSU will end up in the PAC and they can compete for that title every year.
With all the problems the Pac-12 is trying to sort out after getting rid of one of the worst commissioners in collegiate sports history, I doubt if expansion was going to be high on Kliavkov's list of priorities; but that's something they will have to take a look at.

Adding Texas Tech & TCU would get the league into Texas, which could be a boost, recruiting-wise. Adding Oklahoma St. would give them a program that could both help & hurt at the same time. It would help by raising the perception of the Pac's strength in football; but it could also hurt by almost assuring that the conference would rarely have a champion with less than two losses. Having 3 or 4 teams in the Central Time Zone would also assure the league of getting more television exposure in the Eastern & Central U.S.

I'm not sure who the 4th team might be, but they could bite the bullet & add BYU. If that were to happen, the pods might look like this:
North: Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St.
South: Stanford, California, Southern Cal, UCLA
Central: BYU, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St.
East: Colorado, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma St.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In retrospect, I believe you are correct. The Big 10 won't jump on the 16-team bandwagon just because the SEC went there. It would have to be the right fit, and have to be beneficial to the league - monetarily & otherwise. I don't think Kansas & Iowa St. would move the needle that much, and they are the only AAU schools ripe for the picking.

I really don't think the SEC was actively looking to expand, but it's hard to say no when programs like Texas & Oklahoma show up on your doorstep begging to be let in.
Honestly I think this deal has been in the works for a number of years. Had to get closer to the end of the big 12 tv contract.