• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bledsoe and the Suns reach agreement on 5yr deal

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No creativity at all, just self-promotional build up. And yes, in my book,

*plagiarism*:clap:

Where's Heatles at to babysit and shield his lover this time around?

Claims posters stalk him, then starts threads about other posters. :L

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are forgeting that with the new TV deal, the cap is likely to get bumped up by $10 mil in the next few seasons. The Suns had $20 mil in space before this deal.

It will increase a few million again for next season. I've read that it will take a significant jump up following the new TV deal.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns have been adamant about being willing to negotiate with Bledsoe's camp. They compromised and reached the 14 million per year figure. The only thing that surprises me is the 5th year.

Dragic will get a bigger deal next offseason. The Suns front office values him as their franchise player.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Bledsoe To Re-Sign With Suns

The Suns and Eric Bledsoe have come to terms on a five-year, $70MM extension, Brian "<strongWindhorst of ESPN.com reports (Twitter link). The deal is fully-guaranteed and contains no options, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports notes. The max that the Suns could have given Bledsoe over five seasons is $84,789,500, so it appears he’s taking significantly less than that, given the reported $70MM figure. Still, it’s more total money than the $62,965,420 over four years that Bledsoe could have received in an offer sheet from another team, so Bledsoe can claim that victory

He signed for $14.8 mil below the max. In my book, it's win-win for both parties.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns have been adamant about being willing to negotiate with Bledsoe's camp. They compromised and reached the 14 million per year figure. The only thing that surprises me is the 5th year.

Dragic will get a bigger deal next offseason. The Suns front office values him as their franchise player.

While they made a good deal keeping him, like another poster mentioned, if they offer Dragic a similar/better deal they'll have more than half their cap on just three PGs.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is the suns end goal here? I don't get giving pgs all your money? No offense but I think best case scenario is eliminated in the first round.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While they made a good deal keeping him, like another poster mentioned, if they offer Dragic a similar/better deal they'll have more than half their cap on just three PGs.

Yeah doesn't make much sense to me.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not an issue since we play 2 PG(s) at a time. So you have more than half your cap spent on your top 2 starters & #1 bench guy. I don't see an issue.

With Bledsoe missing a large stretch of the season, the Suns still managed to win 48 games with a young roster last season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an issue since we play 2 PG(s) at a time. So you have more than half your cap spent on your top 2 starters & #1 bench guy. I don't see an issue.

With Bledsoe missing a large stretch of the season, the Suns still managed to win 48 games with a young roster last season.

The issue is you'll end up with 2 or 3 good to great players and below than average fillers at the other positions (eg the Lakers last year). Then, god forbid, one gets injured and you're left with one great player and below than average fillers. Next thing you know you're looking at guys like Kendall Marshall and Chris Kaman to fill starting roles.

Teams like that don't go very far.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is you'll end up with 2 or 3 good to great players and below than average fillers at the other positions (eg the Lakers last year). Then, god forbid, one gets injured and you're left with one great player and below than average fillers. Next thing you know you're looking at guys like Kendall Marshall and Chris Kaman to fill starting roles.

Teams like that don't go very far.

Not really an issue when you consider that the Suns are a young team with much of the roster on rookie contracts for the next 3 years & an influx of first round picks over the next 2 years. With 4/5 of the starting lineup under contract for the foreseeable future, how is this an issue?

The Suns situation & the Lakers situation couldn't be farther apart.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Kaman's a decent player worthy of a rotation spot. It's clear that D'Antoni hated him and rarely ever utilized his size. It was a wasted year for him.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth isn't a problem. Goodwin, Ennis, Len and Plumlee are all still cheap for a while. Plus our 3 incoming picks next year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're making the same mistakes the Lakers did under D'antoni. Give high contracts to the stars and just hope the young guys pan out.

Look, I agree signing Bledsoe to an extension was a good move. If they resign Dragic next year it's an even better move. But from the looks of it you guys are going to get hurt in the paint and without any decent cap space for the foreseeable future you're not going to get any big men who can make a difference soon.

And yes the draft picks are good assets but the 2015 and 2016 draft class looks extremely weak.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, guess we can't rag on Rich Paul that much anymore. It took awhile but the Suns blinked and he got his guy paid. It's not the max, but its still a higher number than he's worth. I'm not quite sure why the Suns caved since they basically had all the leverage. They'll still have flexibility once the cap goes up but they'd have even more if they got Bledsoe in at a lower number.

Personally, if I were them, I would have dealt him for interior players or a SF and picks and then focused all my attention on locking up Goran Dragic.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 million per year more than we originally offered. Really not a big deal, it's just the extra year that makes it seem like a lot more.

As for Dragic, this signing has nothing to do with them moving on with him. Hornacek's system works very well with 2 PG's on the court. Depth at the guard spot is solidified for years to come so now we can focus our attention to big men in the trade market, draft and free agency. Even after we re-sign Dragic to a max deal we'll have enough to keep the Twins and go after another solid FA.