• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bills pregame

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is there they just don’t want to face it and it’s not offensive football

I was in the tv ratings business and there are several reasons why NFL ratings are down on the tv networks. Politics plays a big part in the lower ratings which we are not allowed to discuss here.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I discussed our overrated defense on another thread recently and I forgot to mention something. Since the NFL has put so much focus on scoring with rules that are going to be pass interference almost every time when a corner or a safety even brushes a receiver maybe WTF should have been built for offense rather than defense with big name players over the last few years. So, we have no defense and give up 99 points per game. That's not a problem as long as we score 100 points per game.

The point I'm trying to make is that the time might come that we will have to trade some of our big time defensive guys for some big time offensive guys.
You are right, defense today is not 85 Bears or Ravens of the turn of the century and having a good offense is great if you have the QB. I think good defense these days is still important but it doesn't look exactly the same as the old days. Remember last year, the Bucs D got hot during the playoffs. All that said it is an offense driven league now.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what the taunting rule has to do with the defense ( strictly). But I guess it depends on what you think the viewer wants as far as the rule . It’s hard to legislate emotion our of an emotional game though
Nothing necessarily to do with defense but I introduced it to further support my theme which is the game is difficult to watch because defense is no longer allowed AND with the introduction of the taunting rule it becomes even less watchable.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right, defense today is not 85 Bears or Ravens of the turn of the century and having a good offense is great if you have the QB. I think good defense these days is still important but it doesn't look exactly the same as the old days. Remember last year, the Bucs D got hot during the playoffs. All that said it is an offense driven league now.

I still like to see great defense like the defense the Bucs had for the Chiefs in the last Super Bowl when they kept Mahomes totally confused.

I think most major sports have become more offensive driven. An extra inning game in baseball gets an automatic ghost runner on 2nd base to start the 10th inning which produces more offense. More points are being scored in the NBA because of the way it is being officiated. You would know much better than me if hockey has been affected because don't follow it.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

falco film, it also clearly shows dean was right about the read
On the play dude says could've been huge that was an extremely shitty job at blocking by Gibson. Very shitty. At the same time, if influencing the safety towards the LOS is the intent. Heiney should've at least looked at Brown. He looks totally fopcused on Terry Mac though.

I keep hearing about all this speed these youngsters have . If so, the Skins have haven't taken advantage of it.

Heh. Its funny. I thought the Skins could win double digit games, as many as 12 games this year, but I also thought the defense was pretty overrated. As long as they keep playing Collins and the LBs the Skins have in pass coverage they will have problems in that area. Especially if the DL can't get any pressure. on anyone

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the tv ratings business and there are several reasons why NFL ratings are down on the tv networks. Politics plays a big part in the lower ratings which we are not allowed to discuss here.
Without getting into politics the reason we don’t discuss it is because over 1/2 the posters don’t want it in their “escape “ . Now let’s say that’s skewed here on SportsHoopla but nationally it’s say 30% of the audience doesn’t want politics in the game . Out of that 30% , 25% say we will reduce viewership and maybe 5% of that just walks away . That affects numbers. Fantasy football also is having an effect on rules as well

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'm curious about this board and their viewership so...

On average how many NFL games per week do our membership watch?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Skins game, Redzone, SNF and depending on matchup MNF and Thurs less frequently.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without getting into politics the reason we don’t discuss it is because over 1/2 the posters don’t want it in their “escape “ . Now let’s say that’s skewed here on SportsHoopla but nationally it’s say 30% of the audience doesn’t want politics in the game . Out of that 30% , 25% say we will reduce viewership and maybe 5% of that just walks away . That affects numbers. Fantasy football also is having an effect on rules as well

All I am saying is that an open and honest discussion on why NFL ratings are down would be impossible to have without including politics. Therefore we will not be having this discussion.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there is a live NFL game taking place I'm either watching it, listening to it, or tracking the score.

As for college football I can take it or leave it although I do enjoy watching all the games I can among ranked teams.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

falco presser

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Skins game, Redzone, SNF and depending on matchup MNF and Thurs less frequently.
Yeah Redzone is a watch changer but does that count as it would in the ratings like a single event does?

Beyond that, I believe that, NFL games are primarily regionally watched with the networks determining which game will be the primetime, nationwide one. Viewers then can determine if they are interested in watching those and I believe that beyond an occasional Ravens/Chiefs type game, viewership drops. (Note that I'm avoiding politics.)

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WFT games, MNF, THUR night game & SUN night game. (4)