• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest Western Conference Threat to GS in 2017-18?

Biggest Wetern Conference threat to the Warriors?

• Spurs

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Rockets

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Thunder

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Trail Blazers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timberwolves

• Nuggets

• Total voters

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the second straight year, I have to say Houston is the team that matches up the best with the Warriors.

Some may argue that the Spurs were without Kawhi when they faced them, but they still got swept and one player don't make that great a difference. If Kawhi played, maybe last year's series goes six, and that's being generous.

Even the historically great sports franchises have down years (see the St. Louis Cardinals this year), and I think this could be that year for the Spurs. Pau, LaMarcus, and Manu are another year older, and they lost some key free agents. And frankly, I don't think Rudy Gay is as good as his brand name suggests. He's coming off a major injury, and he certainly don't fit the Spurs mold for defense.

Unless Dejounte Murray and/or Derrick White are better than we think they are, I could see this team struggling just to win 50. Green/Manu is not an adequate SG tandem anymore, and this backcourt leaves a lot to be desired.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the second straight year, I have to say Houston is the team that matches up the best with the Warriors.

Some may argue that the Spurs were without Kawhi when they faced them, but they still got swept and one player don't make that great a difference. If Kawhi played, maybe last year's series goes six, and that's being generous.

Even the historically great sports franchises have down years (see the St. Louis Cardinals this year), and I think this could be that year for the Spurs. Pau, LaMarcus, and Manu are another year older, and they lost some key free agents. And frankly, I don't think Rudy Gay is as good as his brand name suggests. He's coming off a major injury, and he certainly don't fit the Spurs mold for defense.

Unless Dejounte Murray and/or Derrick White are better than we think they are, I could see this team struggling just to win 50. Green/Manu is not an adequate SG tandem anymore, and this backcourt leaves a lot to be desired.
Spurs- unless Pachulia cheap shots Kawhi again.

than Houston.

than Twolves

than OKC

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs.

I forget who said it, one of the NBA analysts on ESPN.

You aren't going to win a beauty pageant against the Warriors. Rockets can't touch them.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs.

I forget who said it, one of the NBA analysts on ESPN.

You aren't going to win a beauty pageant against the Warriors. Rockets can't touch them.
i wouldnt say the Rockets "cant touch them"--- esp. before we see if they make another move and how they play together.

I just htink the Spurs style is better against the Warriors- and Kawhi can do some things. Spurs need to make a move though too---- Id trade them Isiah in order to secure Conley or Bledsoe and a little sumtin sumtin exta

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldnt say the Rockets "cant touch them"--- esp. before we see if they make another move and how they play together.

I just htink the Spurs style is better against the Warriors- and Kawhi can do some things. Spurs need to make a move though too---- Id trade them Isiah in order to secure Conley or Bledsoe and a little sumtin sumtin exta

What move would they make to get them there though? Can't think of a single realistic possibility. This year, anyway. Unless they are trading for LeBron or Kawhi.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but they still got swept and one player don't make that great a difference.

Seriously?!? Have you ever watched an actual basketball game? It's the literally the one sport where 1 player can make all the difference.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? Have you ever watched an actual basketball game? It's the literally the one sport where 1 player can make all the difference.

Not the difference between a sweep and winning a series, though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Generally speaking, true. It just depends on how far a team can push a series with that one player. I agree with your assessment that, with a healthy Kawhi, the Spurs push the series to 6 games.

But, if they are able to "steal one" and push it to 7 games...

I'd sure hate to have to face a Pop coached team in a 7th game.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally speaking, true. It just depends on how far a team can push a series with that one player. I agree with your assessment that, with a healthy Kawhi, the Spurs push the series to 6 games.

But, if they are able to "steal one" and push it to 7 games...

I'd sure hate to have to face a Pop coached team in a 7th game.

I agree with this, but there are going to be plenty of flaws on this year's Spurs roster that I'm not sure even Pop could fix.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In 2016, if you take Lebron off the Cavs, the Warriors would've swept that series hands down. Lebron is the main reason the Cavs won in 7. So in theory, you're wrong. One players can sway a series.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this, but there are going to be plenty of flaws on this year's Spurs roster that I'm not sure even Pop could fix.

Yeah, probably true. To start with, they are going to need more out of LA than they got last year. I think a lot will depend on what Pau has left as well. If he and Aldridge can play well together, that can be real trouble for the Warriors.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked Houston. I might be underestimating my own team, but I feel as if this is one of the weakest rosters Pop has had to work with since I began watching in 08. LA/Pau aren't stopping anyone inside and their only current rim protector is Joffrey Lauvergne...not to mention they're absolutely overloaded with guards. I give any team with Pop/Kawhi/Manu/Tony a chance to win a ton of games, but this could be the start of a downward slide for them.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets, but the Thunder are fascinating and should go all in to get Cousins later on at the TD.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs. Always the Spurs because of the way they play and Pop's ability to game plan. Rockets cannot outscore the Warriors. Thunder are really talented but it's always a matter of them putting it all together for 7 consecutive games and I think it'll still be the case even with the addition of PG.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball is in fact the one sport where a single player makes all the diffrence.
One player can make a team go from a lottery team to a deep playoff run.

Easily one player can cause a likely 4-2 series to end up 4-0.
To say otherwise is ignoring the entire history of the game.

The Cavs get swept if Lebron does not play in the finals.

As for the question, the SPURS are the only team with a punchers chance because of their size.
The frontcourt of Leonard, Gasol, Aldridge, and Gay can actually do some serious damage to the Warriors front.
The only possible way to beat the Warriors is to be BIGGER than them....like cleveland in 2016.

The Rockets have 0.0000% chance.
They play the same small uptempo game, but they are worse at it.
They dont have a single advantage over GSW.