• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest Concerns over your team

Rodgers_Cobb_Nelson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Packers I'm worried once again over the offensive line. With Bulaga out for the season now the left side is looking pretty weak and I don't want to see Rodgers taking 50+ sacks again. I'm still not convinced the running game with make that big of a difference this year so I'm relying on Rodgers to carry the load on Off and need him healthy all year. I'm also curious to see how the front 7 on defense looks in a real game together. A lot of question marks on this team to me, but if everyone plays to their ability I wouldn't doubt another super bowl appearance.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oline is still our biggest concern. We have taken steps to improve it but only time will tell. I feel real good about the rest of the team, both on O and D. Then there is that pesky QB question, but until the Oline is playing well we won't be able to grade Jay fairly.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like Cali, I think it is our D-line. I think the o-line will be better then last year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dline? I just don't get that. D line has depth and is full of young talent. D line looks like a strength IMO, what is it about the D line that has you and Cali worried. And there is no way you should be more worried about the D line then the Oline. Clue me in.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be O-line for the Bears until they prove otherwise.

The defense will still be very good. No one is expecting them to be as dominant as they were the first half of last season, but they'll still be very very good. IMO

It really comes down to the offensive line and Cutler finally taking a step forward and playing consistently.

C

cubzzzfanincali

while I sort of agree with the "until the O line proves it they are the suspect position group" notion, I'll tell you why I am more worried about D line than O line. I think the Bushrod signing is a fundamentally altering kind of move. It takes the worst spot on the line and, in theory at least, fixes it. We also have an offense that now is specifically based on more quick timing routes. That should help too. The O line, on paper at least, should be a little better at worst. Yes that's just paper, but that's why I am prematurely cutting them some slack.

The D line, on paper, I don't agree with you at all Noon. I think we are definitely thinner. I look and see 6 solid guys for the rotation (Peppers, Melton, Paea, Wooton, McLellin, and Collins I guess). Unlike O line, you need a deep rotation of guys during a game for them to remain effective. Julius Peppers is an animal, but one of these years he is going to suffer a serious injury. If he does, I have to be honest, our D line suddenly looks extremely vulnerable. Now, even if he is healthy, it is a somewhat short deck, and that assumes no other injuries to the other guys. Idonije didn't just relieve one position, he allowed flex for the whole line. He was also a great run defender, and neither Shea nor Wootton has yet really proven they are great run defenders. I expect a lot of teams with strong right side run blockers to be calling a lot of right tackle runs. We shall see. Not having Okoye, while not a huge loss in and of itself, also ups the pressure on the top 6.

Maybe one of the rooks or other castoffs can slide into the rotation. But if we are playing the "until they show it they can't be counted on" game, then we have to play that with the D line also. So yeah, I'm more worried about D line than anything else.

C

cubzzzfanincali

let me put this another way. If you are playing 4-3 base defense like the Bears, you typically need 7 or 8 guys in the D line rotation. We have 6 proven guys. I think McBride and Ellis were supposed to be the depth, with rookies and scrubs to come in if there were injuries, and they are gone. So now the rookies and scrubs have to step up. Maybe they will. Until they do, I'm going to be concerned about it. And now we have zero injury wiggle room on that line. None.

OK done beating the dead horse.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali I can follow your line of thought. But for me it's still far and away the Oline. One injury there and the season is over. And that's if Bushrod is any good anyway. The more I read on him the less impressed I am.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some food for thought there, if not totally valid points.
Let me point out though, that if your analysis is correct, you are probably understating it.

I look and see 6 solid guys for the rotation (Peppers, Melton, Paea, Wooton, McLellin, and Collins I guess).

McLellin is part of the "6 solid guys" grouping?
He hasn't proven himself in my opinion, he has shown a few "flashes" -but really no more than a ton of guys that have come and gone. Let me play devil's advocate, and say; take him out of the already deficient "solid guys" grouping, and.... oh boy... we're in real trouble.

Personally, I'll stick with the O-line as being the group that NEEDS to show considerable improvement before I place my concerns elsewhere. As long as we can rotate a couple fresh bodies in and get the impact D players some wind recovery time, -then we still have our impact guys rotating back into the game to do what they do -make an impact. Every single guy in the rotation can't be expected to be a monster, every play.

If you are playing 4-3 base defense like the Bears, you typically need 7 or 8 guys in the D line rotation.
So, ...4 impact guys on the line to start, 1 impact guy waiting to rotate in for relief, and 2-3 Mclellin types also waiting to provide relief.
Seems like you have four impact guys out there for most of the game, rotating in a Mclellin type only one at a time, sparingly. -You always have at least one impact guy "recovering" on the sideline, and at least three -usually four out there playing. Play your strength to the run side, if you're up against a run-strong team.

Nope.
O-line still the biggest liability until it can prove otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-line,Cutler and then the defense for me................

C

cubzzzfanincali

Some food for thought there, if not totally valid points.
Let me point out though, that if your analysis is correct, you are probably understating it.

McLellin is part of the "6 solid guys" grouping?
He hasn't proven himself in my opinion, he has shown a few "flashes" -but really no more than a ton of guys that have come and gone. Let me play devil's advocate, and say; take him out of the already deficient "solid guys" grouping, and.... oh boy... we're in real trouble.

Yeah, true enough, I am taking it for granted that a second year first rounder will be a significant contributor. If nothing else he should be in on plenty of longer yardage downs. But you're right, at one level that's just a hope. Of course, the same can be said for many other position groups, including O line.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repent Cali. Admit the errors of your ways, admit the Oline is our biggest concern. :gaah:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just can't believe the shit I'm reading. D-line ? give me a break . We have potentially 4 pro bowlers starting . Wooton had 7.5 sacks in limited action. And he is being given Izzys' role this yr. Starting DE & moving to DT in passing downs. Paea is finally healthy , and proved he can be a force. Depth ? Yeah we lost Izzy, Okoye, &Toena. As far as BUs, Collins has looked just fine. Irvin & Minter both showed promise @ DT. @ DE Ozougwu & Moore will battle for a spot. To go along w/ Shea.
Seems the D-line is pretty well set.
More than I can say for the O-Line. They're going to try 2 rooks there in the next game. I like what Long has showed . Mills? Garza ? Who will be the 7 or 8 they dress game day?
The answer to the OP's ? , has to be O-line w/out a doubt.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Just can't believe the shit I'm reading. D-line ? give me a break . We have potentially 4 pro bowlers starting .

Dude, you don't have to agree with me, but potentially 4 Pro Bowlers? Lay off the crack.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My second biggest concern is TE. One injury there and I don't know what we will do.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im intrigued by Kyle Adams.

I have seen so little of him. I know I don't want him starting right now, but the future looks bright. A season or two learning and refining his game and he may be a good starter. But then I don't want him starting here in two years because I'm hoping Bennett will shine the next 5+. How about you, would you feel OK if we had to start him this season due to say injury?