• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stability.
That's funny. The Big 12 hasn't been stable since it was formed IMHO. It is the only one of the power 5s that isn't the original conference. None of the other four are a hybrid of two separate conferences.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. The Big 12 hasn't been stable since it was formed IMHO. It is the only one of the power 5s that isn't the original conference. None of the other four are a hybrid of two separate conferences.
Haven't you read the thread? Everything is just fine.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't you read the thread? Everything is just fine.
Bullshit. It hasn't been stable since inception. Think about it. The original Big 8 lost two of their marquee teams to the south division. They were only left with the six non Oklahoma teams. No way they wanted that. And the Oklahoma schools got stuck with four Texas schools...two of which were Baylor and Tech. Not real great for them either.

Now, I'll agree the money is fine. In fact, about 1/2 the schools are doing pretty damned well with their 3rd tier money....even not counting OU and Texas. The Kansas schools and West Virginia are doing well with tier 3 money. Who'd have ever thought that? The other can just pound sand...cept Okie Lite. T Boone can just write a check any time.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. It hasn't been stable since inception. Think about it. The original Big 8 lost two of their marquee teams to the south division. They were only left with the six non Oklahoma teams. No way they wanted that. And the Oklahoma schools got stuck with four Texas schools...two of which were Baylor and Tech. Not real great for them either.

Now, I'll agree the money is fine. In fact, about 1/2 the schools are doing pretty damned well with their 3rd tier money....even not counting OU and Texas. The Kansas schools and West Virginia are doing well with tier 3 money. Who'd have ever thought that? The other can just pound sand...cept Okie Lite. T Boone can just write a check any time.

I wouldn't be shocked if the ACC digital network is a success the big 12 takes a similar approach. ESPN already owns the tier 3 rights to Texas and Kansas, so having a Big 12 network app could be done.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was being sarcastic :wink:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked if the ACC digital network is a success the big 12 takes a similar approach. ESPN already owns the tier 3 rights to Texas and Kansas, so having a Big 12 network app could be done.
I could see that happening as well.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
told you someone at Epsins and Fox are going to lose their jobs over the Big12 tv contract they approved back when. They DO NOT want to pay out the full amount to newcomers, whomever they may be...

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile..... in Fort Collins, Colorado.
The new Colorado State University on-campus stadium which broke ground Sept. 12, 2015 is progressing on-time, and on budget!

Construction Cam | Colorado State Stadium

The new CSU stadium should be ready for kick-off 2017.

Hmmmm..... could the Rams possibly become the #1 college football program in the state of Colorado, surpassing the Buffaloes and Falcons? Methinks that's not such a crazy concept.

Come on Big XII, it's time to get back into the Colorado/Denver market.... and at the same time, acquire a good travel partner for BYU if/when the Mormons are invited to the conference. Then also add Cincinnati and Houston, and you could have an EAST-WEST alignment something like this:

new members in BOLD CAPS

WEST

BYU
COLORADO STATE

K-State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

EAST
Baylor
CINCINNATI
HOUSTON

Iowa State
Kansas
TCU
West Virginia

The above east-west alignment ensures/guarantees annual Texas exposure to non-Texas member schools in both divisions (IMO, placing all 5 Texas schools in the same division would be a bad idea, and would probably piss-off the members in the division without any Texas schools).

Don't worry about Memphis, they will probably have a good shot of hitching a ride as member #16 of the ACC if/when Notre Dame finally/eventually becomes a full member.

And then....... if more power conferences eventually increase to 16 members in the future, the Big XII could possibly add both UCF & USF, and then simply slide Kansas over to the West Division in my example alignment above.

:thumb:

Last edited:

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Finebaum says Oklahoma Sooners better off leaving Big 12
Big 12 expansion talk has dominated the offseason conversation, but what about the teams who are better off leaving the conference?

SEC Network analyst Paul Finebaum said this week that Oklahoma should weigh its option elsewhere while the league looks at smaller programs, like BYU and Memphis, to add.

“There are rumors all over the place about other leagues poaching," Finebaum said on ESPN's College Football Live. "I believe Oklahoma would probably rather be in the SEC or the Big Ten than the Big 12.

"I think the bigger question is will the Big 12 survive when all this is over."

Oklahoma president David Boren has been one of the league's biggest advocates for expansion.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, the Big12 has a GOR, GOR's are iron clad, there is no buying out, there is no exit fee ect.. No 1 or 2 schools leaving that CANT happen. The only realistic option is to dissolve the Big 12 and that takes 60% of the members leaving at the same time.
You start seeing those types of reports then perk up and listen but until then, it's all just click bait.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is stuck in this shitty conference for now. But to make things worse by adding a bunch of crappy schools just for a few extra bucks is downright stupid. Boren needs to go back into the closet and just let this thing ride out. Then we might have some decent choices in a few years. I will never attend games against some of the schools they are talking about. And you can bet your sweet bippy a lot of other fans wouldn't shell out what they are asking for tickets these days to see games like those........especially on the road. It won't work, David.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is stuck in this shitty conference for now. But to make things worse by adding a bunch of crappy schools just for a few extra bucks is downright stupid. Boren needs to go back into the closet and just let this thing ride out. Then we might have some decent choices in a few years. I will never attend games against some of the schools they are talking about. And you can bet your sweet bippy a lot of other fans wouldn't shell out what they are asking for tickets these days to see games like those........especially on the road. It won't work, David.

So you're not excited about your home opener this season?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're not excited about your home opener this season?

If we can't beat Houston we have no business talking smack about being #3 in the country or somewhere even close to that ranking. Houston is a flash in the pan. If we are the mighty, mighty Sooners we should roll them by three touchdowns so to answer your question, no I'm not that excited about playing Cougar High. Houston would add nothing to the Big 12 beyond another hog at the trough. Most Texas fans are able to see that. You guys are playing a real team in your opener.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't beat Houston we have no business talking smack about being #3 in the country or somewhere even close to that ranking. Houston is a flash in the pan. If we are the mighty, mighty Sooners we should roll them by three touchdowns so to answer your question, no I'm not that excited about playing Cougar High. Houston would add nothing to the Big 12 beyond another hog at the trough. Most Texas fans are able to see that. You guys are playing a real team in your opener.

Oh I agree, although I think Herman at UH as a member of the Big 12 would be scary. Once he left though not sure how good they'd be, but I think right off the bat they'd be the new Baylor of the big 12, without all the bad stuff. BYU is a good pick up, another school you guys have opened with in an NFL stadium in the past. Anything beyond those 2 schools is just really watering down the Big 12.