• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 10 Preview Thread 2019 (AKA: 11 teams trying to kill each other)

Be honest. Do you think Michigan will beat Ohio State THIS time?

• Yes

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 69.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, the 3 teams not involved in the Big 10 equation this year will be Maryland, Illinois, and Rutgers.

OK! So for everybody else, sound off on your favorite teams while my previews cut straight to the bone of your rosters. Maybe I'll let Michigan go first, eh? :dhd:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While not a B1G fan, I've always pulled for Iowa and Sparty. Haden Fry is an old Eastland/Odessa, TX boy and a good friend in EP played for Duffy in East Lansing. The rest of the B1G can put on their little red tennis shoes, grease their shoulders and jump up my ass...aka lace, lube and leap.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While not a B1G fan, I've always pulled for Iowa and Sparty. Haden Fry is an old Eastland/Odessa, TX boy and a good friend in EP played for Duffy in East Lansing. The rest of the B1G can put on their little red tennis shoes, grease their shoulders and jump up my ass...aka lace, lube and leap.
I too liked to see MSU win, before that weirdness with Nassar. Kind of taking a good long break just like so many did with PSU.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 is really fucking stacked this year. Their will be some damn good teams going 7-5 this year.

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Penn State wins the B1G Championship.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woo, another year of getting my hopes up only to get crushed after Thanksgiving

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested in the hype surrounding incoming Wisconsin Freshman QB Graham Mertz out of Kansas. Is Mertz going to play this year or will he take a redshirt? He is an early enrollee at Wisconsin.

Graham Mertz is Wisconsin's most-hyped QB since Russell Wilson

Wisconsin recruit Graham Mertz named 2019 All-American Bowl MVP

Graham Mertz, Blue Valley North, Pro-Style Quarterback
I doubt he'll redshirt. This will be a good season for him to play early, without a lot of pressure. Whisky will lean heavily on their stud in the running game.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Penn State wins the B1G Championship.
This would be a huge surprise IMO. All-everything QB who was there for 8 years is gone and his replacement is nowhere near the athlete, so he's not gonna be a threat to break of 40-50 yards runs. I think their offense takes a little while to get off the ground.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan

The first preview segment for the Big 10 Conference: The Michigan Wolverines

Last season: Last May, I said I was gonna get my preview of Michigan over and done with as quickly as possible, and I'm living up to my word. Because I KNOW that it's very tense over in Ann Arbor right now.
It's kind of a shame, really. Michigan had a REALLY good thing going in the 2018 season; they started 10-1 and were #4 in the playoff rankings entering the Ohio State game. Which they lost (again). That wouldn't be so terrible if the Wolverines hadn't laid an egg in that Peach Bowl against Florida.

2019 X-factor: New offensive coordinator Josh Gattis- All throughout the offseason, Wolverine fans have been telling Jim Harbaugh "You know, it's OK to pass the ball on first down". I guess Jim listened as Josh Gattis and his no-huddle spread is now in Ann Arbor, trying to get those passing numbers up.

Good news: The offensive line Michigan has may be one of the nation's best, which will help Shea Patterson get more completions. The new no-huddle should help the WR's (like Nico Collins and Tarik Black) show off their talents more.

Bad news: Wait... Now Michigan's defense is having the big problems?! Yep, the Wolverines' D will be replacing 4 NFL Draft picks and depth along the D-line is not great.

Key games:

Big 10 East Gauntlet:

10/19 @ Penn State (In "Happy Valley", expect a closer game than the 42-7 blowout we got between these two last year; Penn State should have a starting QB by this point.)
11/16 vs. Michigan State (This may be the latest that these 2 rivals are meeting.)
11/30 vs. Ohio State (No more Urban Mayer on the sidelines for the Buckeyes! Harbaugh is gonna do it this time! ...Right?)
Other big games:
9/21 @ Wisconsin (The last 4 visits that Michigan took to Madison haven't gone so well.)
10/5 vs. Iowa (Iowa looks loaded and ready for a title push, so this should be a good one.)
10/26 vs. Notre Dame (The Irish was a playoff team last season, but I don't think Michigan will take solace in that fact; they want revenge for last year's 24-17 loss.)

Bottom line: Excitement is at a peak for the Wolverines in Jim Harbaugh's 5th year. But so is the tension, and the apprehension, and the offensive optimism, and the defensive worries, and the pressure to win the Big 10.
Look. Jim will be fine. He has an excellent team; all it has to do in 2019 is not crack under the pressure and solve this Ohio State problem.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested in the hype surrounding incoming Wisconsin Freshman QB Graham Mertz out of Kansas. Is Mertz going to play this year or will he take a redshirt? He is an early enrollee at Wisconsin.

Graham Mertz is Wisconsin's most-hyped QB since Russell Wilson

Wisconsin recruit Graham Mertz named 2019 All-American Bowl MVP

Graham Mertz, Blue Valley North, Pro-Style Quarterback

Throw him to the wolves. If he's as good as advertised he probably leaves his jr year anyway.

With how good Wiscy is up front and in the running game, this could be the piece of the puzzle they've been needing to get to the next level. Does he have someone to throw it to?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it not surprise me you want something up your ass...

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i know is tejas schedule just got easier w/o maryland on it

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michigan finally gets tOSU this year. The problem is that they will have 2 losses by then.

Wisconsin is kind of a mystery to me yet. A new OL(only the center returning), an unproven D and unless Mertz shows big a huge problem at QB. If it plays out well, a 10-2 team, but I see us more likely an 8-4.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict OSU wins the conference, and beats michigan...again.