• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Big 10 Preview thread (AKA: "Let's tone it down a little bit, Nebraska fans")

Who will emerge from the Big 10 East as champion?

• Ohio State

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Penn State

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Michigan

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter, Wisconsin will defeat the winner in December anyway.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey anything is possible . O think there's only 2 games on the schedule where you guys should mark down a W. There are 6 imo where you'll be prohibitive underdogs and 4 where I think you'll have a shot although I personally believe your roster won't be as good as 3 of those other 4 teams . If you can get off to a 3-0 start it could snowball in a good way. We shall see

We should beat Akron, Colorado, and Illinois. Troy is a tough one, they beat LSU in Death Valley last year, who knows. I think we get past them though. Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and Michigan St are the only games I am willing to call damn near a certain loss (albeit we seem to have some sort of voodoo over MSU). I think Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, and Northwestern are winnable and COULD go either way. As of right now, I think Iowa and Northwestern are more likely losses than the others though.

Phil Steele believes we'll get to a bowl game...

“In 2016, Nebraska was my No. 2 most improved team, and got to 7-0 before finishing 9-4. Last year, they were No. 126 on my Experience Chart, suffered some injuries, and their four wins were the fest since 1961 and five home losses the most since 1957. The shift to a pass offense failed miserably a second time (04-07 first). Finally the spread option is back and hometown hero Scott Frost comes off an undefeated season at UCF. With 15 starters back and 33 starts lost to injury last year, they move up to No. 86 on the Exp Chart. Nebraska has a Stock Market rating of +3.5 and the Huskers should open 3-0 and have fans and players believing. The only negative is a schedule which has road trips to Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State and Iowa! Nebraska is the only West team to pull three of the four East powers, but should still get back to a bowl.”

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should beat Akron, Colorado, and Illinois. Troy is a tough one, they beat LSU in Death Valley last year, who knows. I think we get past them though. Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and Michigan St are the only games I am willing to call damn near a certain loss (albeit we seem to have some sort of voodoo over MSU). I think Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, and Northwestern are winnable and COULD go either way. As of right now, I think Iowa and Northwestern are more likely losses than the others though.

“In 2016, Nebraska was my No. 2 most improved team, and got to 7-0 before finishing 9-4. Last year, they were No. 126 on my Experience Chart, suffered some injuries, and their four wins were the fest since 1961 and five home losses the most since 1957. The shift to a pass offense failed miserably a second time (04-07 first). Finally the spread option is back and hometown hero Scott Frost comes off an undefeated season at UCF. With 15 starters back and 33 starts lost to injury last year, they move up to No. 86 on the Exp Chart. Nebraska has a Stock Market rating of +3.5 and the Huskers should open 3-0 and have fans and players believing. The only negative is a schedule which has road trips to Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State and Iowa! Nebraska is the only West team to pull three of the four East powers, but should still get back to a bowl.”

I just hope the Zips get a nice paycheck for the ass kicking they'll get in Lincoln.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We actually see things very comparably. I see NW and Iowa as losses because they're road games and I see Troy, Minny and Purdue as having better rosters but not by huge margins and I think nebraska has a slightly better roster than CU but I've got that as a loss because its early in the year and your QB wont have much experience . If somehow you start 3-0 out if conference I could see 4-5 wins . I just think right now the roster especially on defense isn't big 10 ready but we dodht see stuff too differently

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Nebraska at 6-6/7-5. IMO, they will have upgraded at the two most important positions, HC and QB.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue

Preview segment: The Purdue Boilermakers

Last season: So finally, we get some activity going on this thread. And all it took was Nebraska and Iowa fans bitterly poking at each other (and at Illinois too, but that's no fun).
However, you won't be getting any bitterness from the Boilermakers this summer; Purdue fans are over the moon after getting their first winning season since 2011 last season. Oh, and that includes a stunning bowl win over a favored Arizona squad. Proving that (once again) coach Jeff Brohm really CAN coach up anything!

Bad news: One little misnomer for the offensive-minded Brohm, however: Purdue was actually carried by it's defense in 2017. And 8 strong players from that unit have left West Lafayette.

Good news: If some playmakers at WR emerge, that'll only be good news for a offense that's looking to carry the team. And sure, the starting QB spot is a bit muddled, but I'm sure Purdue can win with either Blough or Sindelar at the helm.

Key games:
8/30 vs. Northwestern (More on this game when I preview the Wildcats.)
9/15 vs. Missouri (Purdue has to be careful here, as Missouri will be steaming MAD over that 35-3 insult the Boilermakers gave them last year.)
9/22 vs. Boston College (Oh, and Purdue must deal with a surging Eagles right afterwards, so good luck!)
10/20 vs. Ohio State (Maybe Purdue can take inspiration from the 55-24 beatdown Iowa gave the Buckeyes last year.)
11/3 vs. Iowa (Winning against the Hawkeyes...)
11/24 @ Indiana (...and against the Hoosiers late allowed the Boilermakers to clinch a bowl berth.)

Bottom line: Hey, Jeff! That was a great opening act in your first year at Purdue. Now, do you have something left for Act II, or will we have to wait for Act III in 2019? Simply put, if Purdue wants to have a happy Act II and make another bowl, the offense might have to carry the whole team while the defense rebuilds.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern

Preview segment: The Northwestern Wildcats

Last season: It's official, ladies and gentlemen. Big 10 fans will have to wait until Pat Fitzgerald either dies or retires from coaching for Northwestern to return to being a conference "bottom-feeder". Why do I say that, you ask?
Because after a tough 2-3 start, coach Pat rode Clayton Thorson to a 8-game winning streak to end the season 10-3 (including 3-straight victories in overtime) with a #17 ranking in the final AP poll. This is Pat's 3rd 10-win season at this school... who before Pat came over had only two 10-win seasons in their ENTIRE HISTORY! That's why I said that.

2018 X-factor: Quarterback- For very obvious reasons. In that Music City Bowl that Northwestern won, Clayton Thorson tore his ACL. We didn't see him at all in spring ball, and there's still no major update on his condition, or if he's gonna be ready for the opener.
And here is the tricky bit: If Clayton isn't ready to play, the Wildcats will have to rely on any one of 3 QB's... who doesn't have too much experience. Big 10 fans will be watching this situation very carefully come summer ball.

Good news: Special teams look set with Solomon Vault staying in Evanston as a returner, and the front 7 on defense looks stout. The rest of the offense looks OK with a good O-line and good depth at RB.

Bad news: However, none of those RB's that the Wildcats have are Justin Jackson, who is now with the NFL Chargers. Replacing some good starters on the secondary might also be a chore.

Key games:
8/30 @ Purdue (This one just OOZES with intrigue. Who will get an early jump up in the Big 10 West; the resurgent Boilermakers or the hopeful Wildcats. And will Clayton be ready in time for this?)
9/29 vs. Michigan (Northwestern's only beaten Michigan twice so far in this century. To beat them here, they gotta break that Michigan D.)
10/27 vs. Wisconsin (Either the Wildcats will take control of the Big 10 West here, or lose the division completely.)
11/3 vs. Notre Dame (Northwestern scored a stunning 43-40 win in South Bend in 2014. However, that means the Irish will be up for this one.)
11/24 @ Illinois (Because it's mandatory to include a game where a team visits their most hated rival on the road... even if that rival is doing very bad.)

Bottom line: No doubt about it; Northwestern is the "wild-card" team in the Big 10 for 2018. With their schedule, it's gonna be hard to imagine another 10-win season. I see at least 7 wins for them.
But if Clayton comes back and doesn't miss a beat, then anything is possible.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where’s all this iowa hate coming from? What have we ever done?

BFF83A6D-FB0A-424A-A4B0-96C40FB10B66.jpeg

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After reading up on the Minnesota problems and that their star JUCO QB recruit quit the team, I like the chances on that game. The Minnesota problems are the same as Nebraska's problems. They lost most of their offensive production, will have a new QB that has never taken a college snap, blah blah blah. But, Nebraska brought in some really good JUCOS that are actually on the team and going to play, and probably start. Nebraska beats Minnesota. Claims the Broken Chair Trophy, which dumbshit milquetoast Shawn Eichorst got rid of, then monetized it, then had his boy Rike Miley Cyrus promptly lose to Minnesota in humiliating fashion.

Minnesota-Nebraska Broken Chair Trophy BACK, sort of

I am upping my prediction to 4-8.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan

Preview segment: The Michigan Wolverines

Last season: OH NO! What a catastrophe for Michigan football! From a Orange Bowl berth in 2016, to only getting 8 stupid, pointless, meaningless wins! And the one that was most shocked and horrified about this was... NOT me.

Seriously, Michigan fans, you need to relax a little bit; after losing all of those players from the 2016 team to the NFL, we were all expecting a little drop-off. But I DO get why you're upset; you wanted the Wolverines to at least entertain you with a good offense in 2017 while Harbaugh retooled the roster. And that you DEFINITELY did not get (they had the 105th-ranked offense last year).

Good news: That Michigan defense is LOOOOAAAAADDDEEEDDD with a powerful D-line, star linebackers, and every big contributor from last year's secondary. I have faith in Shea Patterson being Michigan's new QB, and he'll have some good WR's to throw to.

Bad news: Question marks are on the O-line, specifically at the tackle positions. Plus, Michigan fans are getting restless with Harbaugh's inability to win big games in conference.

Key games:

Big 10 East Gauntlet:

10/20 @ Michigan State (And on that subject, Michigan HAS to derail the train of success that MSU has been enjoying. It's gonna happen this time... right?)
11/3 vs. Penn State (Maybe the worst loss Michigan had in 2017 was their game against Penn State, simply because they were just straight-up outclassed.)
11/24 @ Ohio State (I said MAYBE, because there was losing to the Buckeyes again to deal with. Harbaugh simply CANNOT start 0-4 against the boys of Columbus.)
Other big games:
9/1 @ Notre Dame (Hey! This rivalry is back... to start off the season? Wait, is that wise, Jim Harbaugh?)
10/13 vs. Wisconsin (Wisconsin will most likely be 5-0 by the time they go to Ann Arbor. Will Michigan's offense be strong enough to exploit the holes in the Badger defense?)

Bottom line: Again, the Michigan fans need to relax. A great season looks possible with that stout defense and a possible All-Big-10 QB in Shea Patterson. But the Wolverines hasn't won a Big 10 title since 2004, and in order to do that in 2018, Harbaugh's gonna have to win some games that actually MATTER.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois

Preview segment: The Illinois Fighting Illini

Last season: I honestly thought that Illinois was actually going to do something this season after they started 2-0. But they got nothing in the Big 10. Absolutely nothing. So now after a 2-10 season, we're STILL waiting for Illinois to do something.

Good news: Talent is starting to accumulate in Champaign, as evidenced by some good RB's and a salty secondary.

Bad news: Lots of it. There's a new go-go offense that'll require a learning curve, Illinois hasn't settled on a starting QB to run it [and the job might go to a freshmen], they can't run the ball with that awful O-line, they can't stop people running the ball with their awful D-line... I could go on all day.

Key games:
9/15 vs. USF [in Chicago] (Wait... This one looks winnable. USF won't be the same team they were a year ago, and Illinois will get to host the game instead of sweating it out in Tampa.)
10/6 @ Rutgers (It's all about finding wins in the Big 10 for Lovie Smith and company, and this one looks achievable.
10/13 vs. Purdue (Uh oh, Illinois! Purdue's starting to climb out of the Big 10 basement! Better go put them back there!)
11/3 vs. Minnesota (This one also looks winnable.)
11/24 vs. Northwestern (Illinois has lost 5 of their last 6 games against the Wildcats.)

Bottom line: Give Lovie Smith some credit; he could have gone to the Arizona Cardinals or the Tennessee Titans to coach those guys, but he's committed to fixing this program. Some young talent is emerging, so all Illinois fans need to do is hope that all this talent will do... well, SOMETHING good in 2018.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading up on the Minnesota problems and that their star JUCO QB recruit quit the team, I like the chances on that game. The Minnesota problems are the same as Nebraska's problems. They lost most of their offensive production, will have a new QB that has never taken a college snap, blah blah blah. But, Nebraska brought in some really good JUCOS that are actually on the team and going to play, and probably start. Nebraska beats Minnesota. Claims the Broken Chair Trophy, which dumbshit milquetoast Shawn Eichorst got rid of, then monetized it, then had his boy Rike Miley Cyrus promptly lose to Minnesota in humiliating fashion.

Minnesota-Nebraska Broken Chair Trophy BACK, sort of

I am upping my prediction to 4-8.

Just to clarify, the Juco didn't quit the team. It was just apparent he sucked at being a QB in spring practice. He returned to JUCO ranks as LB. He was going to be 3rd string QB in MN, he was beat out by walk on freshman (who albeit did have scholarship offers at Pitt and Illinois)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got rid of Bob Diaco. The defense will be greatly improved. It won't take much. The OL will be just fine. If the frosh QB throws half the int's of the last guy wins will improve.
Bad running backs? Lulz.

You say 2-10. I say 5-7. I'll avy bet you on who is closer at the end of the year.

While getting rid of a defensive coordinator can be an upgrade, you still need talent on that side of the ball to make any big improvements. Nebraska’s defense was ATROCIOUS — they had no pass rush and ranked 2nd to last in all of college football in TFL.

A defensive coordinator can only do so much, but they aren’t miracle workers. When you couple in the fact, Frost will most likely use fast tempo/no huddle type offense and it will expose the defense even more.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Nebraska at 6-6/7-5. IMO, they will have upgraded at the two most important positions, HC and QB.
Yeah — I agree with you. Even with as bad as their defense is/will be — they have talent at skill positions on offense and while they have a new QB, Frost knows how to make an offense work and will simplify the scheme to get the ball in playmakers hands.
That alone should get Nebraska to the .500 mark. I just can’t fathom Nebraska being much worse than .500 with some of the offensive talent they have.
It won’t be pretty, but it should at least be entertaining in a RichRod at UM manner winning games 54-48 and shit like that

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While getting rid of a defensive coordinator can be an upgrade, you still need talent on that side of the ball to make any big improvements. Nebraska’s defense was ATROCIOUS — they had no pass rush and ranked 2nd to last in all of college football in TFL.

A defensive coordinator can only do so much, but they aren’t miracle workers. When you couple in the fact, Frost will most likely use fast tempo/no huddle type offense and it will expose the defense even more.

I don't totally disagree. But getting rid of the DC that was here is an immediate upgrade, even with the talent on hand. The defense will be better. It has to be. There is only one way to go, and that is up.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't totally disagree. But getting rid of the DC that was here is an immediate upgrade, even with the talent on hand. The defense will be better. It has to be. There is only one way to go, and that is up.

Sounds like a Lovie Smith quote.