• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bieniemy new OC

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I submit to you that he won’t have anymore power then turner . Turner ran his offense and EB will run his . Turner can ask for players and he did and so will EB
This is correct.

EB will make more than Turner as he has the title of Assistant HC. Rivera will probably stay out of the way of the offense a little more as well. That being said, I read that Rivera only attended offensive meetings when we are 2-4 early in the season. Rivera is a hands-off coach and appears to leave JDR alone. It appears he did the same with Turner for the most part. I assume the relationship will be the same between Rivera and EB with maybe EB attending more meetings as the Assistant HC. I don't know.

I can see Rivera taking EB's suggestions more seriously and I can see him trying to comply with EB's requests more urgently. Why? Because I feel he is trying to prep EB to be the next HC of the team.

That being said, Skinsdad is correct. EB will NOT be making the offensive picks in the draft and signing offensive free agents. All decisions flow from the GM/HC. For example, if EB says "I got to get Dalton Schultz on this team", Rivera will have to make up his mind if he wants to allocate cap space to Schultz, another TE, wait for the draft, or simply say he is against the idea and ask EB for another recommendation. This is how it should work and hopefully how it WILL work.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can't grasp it b/c EB supposed to have more power on offense here. What you said is what Scott Turner did last year. Turner did not have the power that EB reported will have this year. I see your point, Take it easy.
Having more power doesn't mean GM duties Dean.

What you are saying has NEVER been done in the NFL before and would cause confusion in a front office. How would JDR take this? JDR has 10 times the experience EB has and has been a HC twice. Draft day and free agency would be a disaster. No HC/GM takes marching orders from a coordinator. That is the like the CEO taking orders from the CIO or CMO. It doesn't make ANY sense. There is a chain of command in football like in business and the military.

If I am JDR and I see EB handpicking his own offensive FA and offensive draft picks and getting what he wants, I would have a problem with that. If I am JDR, I would offer my resignation. Think about it. Does it make sense for one coordinator to have roster control and the other one does not?

Why would Rivera cause contention in his coaching staff and also offend Mayhew? It makes no sense for Rivera as the GM/HC to delegate all things personnel related to EB.

You are doing the same thing you did with Wentz for 9 months. You get something in your head and won't listen to reason. You literally keep banging the drum that EB will have GM powers because you read one article.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having more power doesn't mean GM duties Dean.

What you are saying has NEVER been done in the NFL before and would cause confusion in a front office. How would JDR take this? JDR has 10 times the experience EB has and has been a HC twice. Draft day and free agency would be a disaster. No HC/GM takes marching orders from a coordinator. That is the like the CEO taking orders from the CIO or CMO. It doesn't make ANY sense. There is a chain of command in football like in business and the military.

If I am JDR and I see EB handpicking his own offensive FA and offensive draft picks and getting what he wants, I would have a problem with that. If I am JDR, I would offer my resignation. Think about it. Does it make sense for one coordinator to have roster control and the other one does not?

Why would Rivera cause contention in his coaching staff and also offend Mayhew? It makes no sense for Rivera as the GM/HC to delegate all things personnel related to EB.

You are doing the same thing you did with Wentz for 9 months. You get something in your head and won't listen to reason. You literally keep banging the drum that EB will have GM powers because you read one article.

im listening. I wanted to know what skinswizz POV is.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im listening. I wanted to know what skinswizz POV is.
I can see Rivera taking EB taking under his wings and training him on how free agency and the draft is run. However, Rivera makes the final call as he is the one responsible.
We need Rivera to teach EB everything he can as hopefully EB is our next coach. If EB has experience with all things on and off the field, he can work more effectively with the new GM.
I am hoping and praying our new GM will be the chiefs assistant GM once someone buys us. EB is hopefully the bridge between snyder and the new owner.
We need to be the Washington chiefs in my opinion.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Rivera taking EB taking under his wings and training him on how free agency and the draft is run. However, Rivera makes the final call as he is the one responsible.
We need Rivera to teach EB everything he can as hopefully EB is our next coach. If EB has experience with all things on and off the field, he can work more effectively with the new GM.
I am hoping and praying our new GM will be the chiefs assistant GM once someone buys us. EB is hopefully the bridge between snyder and the new owner.
We need to be the Washington chiefs in my opinion.

very true

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I submit to you that he won’t have anymore power then turner . Turner ran his offense and EB will run his . Turner can ask for players and he did and so will EB
I hope that EB literally doesn't have the power to override a head coach a coach and GM. It would add to the circus we currently have already. We are the worst run organization in the nfl, why make it worse?

This scenerio is too stupid to continue the discussion. No coordinator in any professional sport has the authority to override their own head coach...none.

We are taking an opinion piece and assuming it's gospel. Furthermore, it appears some might be advocating for this very thing to happen. And those same people wonder why we haven't won the super bowl since 1991, won a playoff game in 17 years, or had a winning season in 6 years. If EB has GM duties, we will be the laughing stock of the nfl....yet again. Can anyone intelligently tell me why giving EB GM authority is a good thing and makes logical sense? I am happy to reconsider my position if someone can convince me that having 3 GMs and a coordinator who can override a HC is a good football model to embrace.

To advocate a GM offense and a GM defense system is insanity. Why anyone would embrace this or be excited about it is mind-boggling. It is NOT done in the NFL so why should we attempt to do so Since when has this organization been the smartest team in the league?

Last edited:

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is this ESPN article that claims EB will have GM duties? Keim's article says nothing of the sort. Being in the charge of an offense or defense doesn't mean you can override the head coach if you disargree with their final decision. If Rivera doesn't go for it on 4th and 1, EB can't say "Yes we will...I have complete control of the offense".

The sides agreed on a two-year deal that includes a "promotion in title, contractual structure" and a pay raise, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

But he was not the primary playcaller on coach Andy Reid's staff. In Washington, Bieniemy will be in complete charge of the offense and call plays.

It also says he wasn't even under contract from the Chiefs next year. That is NOT good!

Bieniemy was not under contract with the Chiefs for 2023.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is this ESPN article that claims EB will have GM duties? Keim's article says nothing of the sort. Being in the charge of an offense or defense doesn't mean you can override the head coach if you disargree with their final decision. If Rivera doesn't go for it on 4th and 1, EB can't say "Yes we will...I have complete control of the offense".

The sides agreed on a two-year deal that includes a "promotion in title, contractual structure" and a pay raise, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

But he was not the primary playcaller on coach Andy Reid's staff. In Washington, Bieniemy will be in complete charge of the offense and call plays.

It also says he wasn't even under contract from the Chiefs next year. That is NOT good!

Bieniemy was not under contract with the Chiefs for 2023.

it was a SportsCenter report i saw on tv. It mentioned offensive personnel. Thats where i got it from. The other one you have being in completely in charge of the offense.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a SportsCenter report i saw on tv. It mentioned offensive personnel. Thats where i got it from. The other one you have being in completely in charge of the offense.
So it appears the espn report you referenced was complete speculation correct?

Again, in the nfl, having control of the offense doesn't mean you have GM duties. That is what Skinsdad and I are saying. There are defensive bosses if you will in the league, but they are co GMs. Like when Spurrier had Marvin Lewis. Lewis could not over ride Spurrier on defensive matters as he was not the head coach. There is order in the nfl.

Again, if what you have been saying is true, it is madness and we should all be upset...not excited. If it is true, I hope the new owner fires Rivera immediately and puts an end to the circus. No successful team can have 3 GMs with a coordinator undermining the head coach. You also didn't address how this would sit with JDR. Surely he would resign if EB is co GM.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it appears the espn report you referenced was complete speculation correct?

Again, in the nfl, having control of the offense doesn't mean you have GM duties. That is what Skinsdad and I are saying. There are defensive bosses if you will in the league, UT they are co GMs.

Again, if what you have been saying is true, it is madness and we should all be upset...not excited. If it is true, I hope the new owner fires Rivera immediately and puts an end to the circus.

of course, its speculation. I remember hearing he has power in offensive personnel. Of course, it could be bullshit.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course, its speculation. I remember hearing he has power in offensive personnel. Of course, it could be bullshit.
Until proven by Rivera or I see it in writing by a reputable source, I think we should move on.
It's a message board, so you can do what you wish. To me, this is a waste of time as we are entertaining the thought that a dubious report is the gospel.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until proven by Rivera or I see it in writing by a reputable source, I think we should move on.
It's a message board, so you can do what you wish. To me, this is a waste of time as we are entertaining the thought that a dubious report is the gospel.

no worries. I just put an what if example on the TE's in the draft.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no worries. I just put an what if example on the TE's in the draft.
The fact does remain, we need a pass catching tight end. I hope it is Dalton Schultz, but at this point, just get somebody who can get the job done. I would rather not use a high draft pick on it unless we completely build the oline via free agency. I dont see that happening, nor would I want it to. Always build thru the draft when you can.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to rank the conferences and how they play defense, the ACC would be 3rd behind the SEC and Big 10. There is better defense in the ACC than in the Big 12 or Pack 12. There is generally 4 to 5 teams that play pretty good defense and usually 2 are up there nationally. Clemson and NC State has been those 2 teams the last few years

UNC played from behind more in Howell's last year. They had to throw more. They didn't have a problem scoring, they just couldn't stop teams from scoring either. UNC had the same problem this year. They played a weak schedule and they lost their final 4 games when they finally went against teams that played good defense.

When reading the comments from Kiper, keep in mind that was after the disappointing season. See if you can find the preseason comments when he was projected as the #1 pick. The height will be the biggest thing to overcome, again another comparison to Wilson. He will have to find his throwing lanes. It wouldn't suprise me one bit if Howell threw 15 picks in his 1st season, but a lot of those will be because he gives his receivers a chance to make a play (more Heinicke, less Wentz in that regard). Batted balls will be something he has to work on.

Howell will only add to the run game. I bet you anything, you will see a similar game plan for Howell as what the Eagles use for Hurts and we will have some designed runs every game. It also depends on how well our line blocks for him.

I see all these same things with Bryce Young. He is also 6 feet. But he is rail thin and I don't know if he can handle the physicality of the NFL. I don't have that concern with Howell. I could be completely wrong on this. But the success of a QB is tied to the luck of what team they go to. There have been some really good QB's drafted early that have a bad career because of where they were drafted

If I had to rank the conferences and how they play defense, the ACC would be 3rd behind the SEC and Big 10. There is better defense in the ACC than in the Big 12 or Pack 12. There is generally 4 to 5 teams that play pretty good defense and usually 2 are up there nationally. Clemson and NC State has been those 2 teams the last few years

UNC played from behind more in Howell's last year. They had to throw more. They didn't have a problem scoring, they just couldn't stop teams from scoring either. UNC had the same problem this year. They played a weak schedule and they lost their final 4 games when they finally went against teams that played good defense.

When reading the comments from Kiper, keep in mind that was after the disappointing season. See if you can find the preseason comments when he was projected as the #1 pick. The height will be the biggest thing to overcome, again another comparison to Wilson. He will have to find his throwing lanes. It wouldn't suprise me one bit if Howell threw 15 picks in his 1st season, but a lot of those will be because he gives his receivers a chance to make a play (more Heinicke, less Wentz in that regard). Batted balls will be something he has to work on.

Howell will only add to the run game. I bet you anything, you will see a similar game plan for Howell as what the Eagles use for Hurts and we will have some designed runs every game. It also depends on how well our line blocks for him.

I see all these same things with Bryce Young. He is also 6 feet. But he is rail thin and I don't know if he can h

andle the physicality of the NFL. I don't have that concern with Howell. I could be completely wrong on this. But the success of a QB is tied to the luck of what team they go to. There have been some really good QB's drafted early that have a bad career because of where they were drafted.

You have an interesting pov and even though we differ, let's get to where I believe the conversation is taking us. Here's my question... Based upon everything you believe to be true of him, how do you see him finishing with respect to QB ranking this season using a typical 3 tier system? ( Top ten, middle ten, or bottom 12)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see all these same things with Bryce Young. He is also 6 feet. But he is rail thin and I don't know if he can handle the physicality of the NFL. I don't have that concern with Howell. I could be completely wrong on this. But the success of a QB is tied to the luck of what team they go to. There have been some really good QB's drafted early that have a bad career because of where they were drafted.
I have no idea how my original response was spread out, so I'm reposting it.

You have an interesting pov and even though we differ, let's get to where I believe the conversation is taking us. Here's my question... Based upon everything you believe to be true of him, how do you see him finishing with respect to QB ranking this season using a typical 3-tier system? ( Top ten, middle ten, or bottom 12)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little while ago I posted a response on this board regarding my ability to fix the organizational dysfunction in Ashburn. In it, I alluded to a rather quirky habit that I have, stating that I habitually take time to re-read all of the posts that I've written from time to time. I do this because over time things can be better stated than originally expressed and there's no better way to know this than a complete self-examination of previously made points of view.

Now how does this relate to our new OC and what he apparently brings to the team?... Well... He stated that "Comfort is the enemy of success," and he is 100% on point with a comment like that because if you're willing to self-correct then mistakes of the past won't happen again. We often talk about and engage in ongoing debates over who the greatest players are, who's very good, pretty good, average, and not as good as others in comparison. Such debates/conversations are the life's blood of sports entertainment and the primary reason why we want or should want our respective teams to have as many great players in our colors as possible. We do this not because they're great but because, unlike all others, even at the height of their greatness... they self-correct.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact does remain, we need a pass catching tight end. I hope it is Dalton Schultz, but at this point, just get somebody who can get the job done. I would rather not use a high draft pick on it unless we completely build the oline via free agency. I dont see that happening, nor would I want it to. Always build thru the draft when you can.

Are we sure that TE is a need? Thomas is the oldest among our current group at 31, everyone else is 25 or under. EB stated that his offense will be fast, I'm not sure what that means but if it's foot speed then the current player who is the fastest of all is Rogers. He's a former QB, credited with the longest from scrimmage by an NCAA QB. Speaking of QBs converting to TE Rogers has converted just like Thomas. Now if he can become a healthier version or better than Thomas...

Logan Thomas, 6' 6", 250 lbs 7/1/1991 (31) Virginia Tech 2014: Rd 4, Pk 120 (ARI) 40-Yard Dash 4.61 Seconds

John Bates, 6' 6", 259 lbs 11/6/1997 (25) Boise St. 2021: Rd 4, Pk 124 (WSH) 40 yard Dash 4.84 Seconds

Cole Turner 6' 6", 240 lbs 3/16/2000 (22) Nevada 2022: Rd 5, Pk 149 (WSH) 40-Yard Dash 4.76 Seconds

Curtis Hodges 6' 8" 257 lbs 7/3/1999 (23) Arizona State Undrafted 40-Yard Dash 4.85 Seconds

Armani Rogers 6' 5", 225 lbs12/4/1997 (25) Undrafted 2022 40-yard Dash 4.56 Seconds

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we sure that TE is a need? Thomas is the oldest among our current group at 31, everyone else is 25 or under. EB stated that his offense will be fast, I'm not sure what that means but if it's foot speed then the current player who is the fastest of all is Rogers. He's a former QB, credited with the longest from scrimmage by an NCAA QB. Speaking of QBs converting to TE Rogers has converted just like Thomas. Now if he can become a healthier version or better than Thomas...

Logan Thomas, 6' 6", 250 lbs 7/1/1991 (31) Virginia Tech 2014: Rd 4, Pk 120 (ARI) 40-Yard Dash 4.61 Seconds

John Bates, 6' 6", 259 lbs 11/6/1997 (25) Boise St. 2021: Rd 4, Pk 124 (WSH) 40 yard Dash 4.84 Seconds

Cole Turner 6' 6", 240 lbs 3/16/2000 (22) Nevada 2022: Rd 5, Pk 149 (WSH) 40-Yard Dash 4.76 Seconds

Curtis Hodges 6' 8" 257 lbs 7/3/1999 (23) Arizona State Undrafted 40-Yard Dash 4.85 Seconds

Armani Rogers 6' 5", 225 lbs12/4/1997 (25) Undrafted 2022 40-yard Dash 4.56 Seconds
I am not a big fan of Thomas because he simply cannot stay on the field. I think he was a one-year wonder and he needs to go. He is not fast at all and I think injuries have caught up to him.

I like Turner and Rogers but the jury is still out on them. Bates continues to develop but seems best suited for blocking. Turner seems to me to be the best option at developing into a pass-catching TE.

That being said, I believe Howell needs an above-average TE out of the gate. A solid TE is a rookie's best friend. IMO, Howell doesn't have that right now.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i am not counting TE as a huge need turner is what we need if healthy as is rogers and i like hodges as well . now a te in the mid rou ds wouldnt hurt