• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Better Infield?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Gary and Larry, but they have been talking about a really interesting topic today...

Posey / Belt / Panik / Crawford / Duffy

or...

Manwaring / Clark / Thompson / Clayton / Williams

??

The Clark/Williams infield was only together for 2 seasons (92 and 93). The current infield is going into its second season, but Duffy replaced Sandoval who was also home-grown, so the argument could be said that this infield is entering its third season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher (Manwaring vs Posey)
Manwaring was better defensively. But he was an all-glove, no-bat catcher. Posey has a legit middle-of-the-order bat and his glove is becoming one of the best in the game.

Posey wins in a run-away.

1B (Clark vs Belt)
Defensively, this is probably a wash. Clark, while no Snow, was a solid corner-man. He was also one of the top 1B in the game during his Giants years. Belt is very under-rated with his glove (nationally, at least) and is under-rated with the bat. But he is not an elite 1B the way Clark was.

Clark wins this one.

2B (Thompson vs Panik)
Panik is still awfully early in his career, and he has to prove this year that his back is not going to be an issue. Thompson may not have been the best 2B in the game at any point (which Panik is in the conversation for), but he was a near-allstar 2B for a long time.

Right now, I will edge towards Thompson, but Panik has the opportunity to make this one a laugher.

SS (Clayton vs Crawford)
Clayton was a solid, all around SS. Crawford is the best SS in the game (arguably).

No contest - Crawford wins.

3B (Williams vs Duffy/Sandoval)
Williams takes this one defensively. Sandoval showed flashes of brilliance, but he also turned into an immovable blob at times. Duffy just finished his first year there, so his story is still unwritten. Sandoval and Williams were both very streaky with the bat. Duffy seems to be the model of consistency, but let's see what he does in his sophomore season.

I will take Williams for now

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher (Manwaring vs Posey)
Manwaring was better defensively. But he was an all-glove, no-bat catcher. Posey has a legit middle-of-the-order bat and his glove is becoming one of the best in the game.

Posey wins in a run-away.

1B (Clark vs Belt)
Defensively, this is probably a wash. Clark, while no Snow, was a solid corner-man. He was also one of the top 1B in the game during his Giants years. Belt is very under-rated with his glove (nationally, at least) and is under-rated with the bat. But he is not an elite 1B the way Clark was.

Clark wins this one.

2B (Thompson vs Panik)
Panik is still awfully early in his career, and he has to prove this year that his back is not going to be an issue. Thompson may not have been the best 2B in the game at any point (which Panik is in the conversation for), but he was a near-allstar 2B for a long time.

Right now, I will edge towards Thompson, but Panik has the opportunity to make this one a laugher.

SS (Clayton vs Crawford)
Clayton was a solid, all around SS. Crawford is the best SS in the game (arguably).

No contest - Crawford wins.

3B (Williams vs Duffy/Sandoval)
Williams takes this one defensively. Sandoval showed flashes of brilliance, but he also turned into an immovable blob at times. Duffy just finished his first year there, so his story is still unwritten. Sandoval and Williams were both very streaky with the bat. Duffy seams to be the model of consistency, but let's see what he does in his sophomore season.

I will take Williams for now

I don't know if Manwaring was better; it's pretty arguable. If you include pitch framing, Posey might even be better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Manwaring was better; it's pretty arguable. If you include pitch framing, Posey might even be better.
You may be right, but I am not sure. Manwaring was a near-elite defensive catcher for almost 10 years. Posey has improved his D each year to the point where he is now recognized as one of the better ones, but I doubt he will have the defensive longevity of Manwaring.

Ignoring the bat and handling of a pitching staff, I think Manwaring was better. Posey CLEARLY has the better bat, and he is the unquestioned captain of the team and is reported to be very good working with his pitchers.

As a whole, this isnt a debate, though. Posey is an all-time catcher. Manwaring was just a decent stating-level catcher.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The elder one inspired one of ESPN's Chris Berman's best nicknames: Kirt "What Is That" Manwaring.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The elder one inspired one of ESPN's Chris Berman's best nicknames: Kirt "What Is That" Manwaring.
If we are going by nicknames, then we've got a whole new thread to start (maybe). Of course, The Thrill would still beat Baby Giraffe.