• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Restaurant Dish you have recreated at home...

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not off the top of my head, but I could certainly figure one out :suds: by zip do you mean spicy zip? a vinegary/citrus zip? Both? or something else I'm not thinking of?

I'll actually be working with tilapia at 8am tmrw, so I can test a few things out with it

I definitely like citrus on my fish and I like garlic a bit, unless it is one of my favorite Chinese dishes then I like it a lot.
One thing I forgot to ask before I have a recipe for you, do you have a food processor that you can use to make the crust? You asked for easy, using one of those will make it SUPER easy!!!

I have a blender, lots of cutting boards and cutlery and time. I'll make it happen.

Thanks for the recipes you shared in your next post, I appreciate it and will be trying them out soon.

Cheers :suds:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Rex Racer

Ok, I'm going to give you two ways to do this. Both ways are a little different, one is much easier but not as tasty.

1. Very simple way...

You need:

White flesh fish of your choice
Kosher salt
Fresh Pepper
2 to 3 eggs(depending on how many pieces you make, you may only need 1 egg)
cumin(optional)
cayenne(to taste)
a few limes
Tortilla chips crushed, but not to dust. Still has some texture but not huge pieces.

1. clean the fish and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. squeeze the fresh lime juice all over the fish.
3. sprinkle the salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne all over the fish.
4. Beat the egg/s on a plate or in a bowl, then dip the season fish into it so its coated and the chips will stick
5. dip the fish into the crushed tortilla chips and make sure its nicely coated but not thick.
6. place fish onto a cookie sheet, baking pan, oven proof dish, whatever you like to bake something in.(would be a good idea to spray the bottom of whatever you're using to cook it in with some Pam/non-stick spray)
7. place into a 375-400 degree oven. How long it takes depends on the fish. Something like tilapia would take about 15-18 minutes because its so thin. Halibut would take longer because its thicker.

Note: if you want, at step 3, after squeezing the lime juice. You could add the seasonings to some flour and dip it in there before the egg. Make sure the flour is well seasoned and it would produce a MUCH better crust!!!

2. More difficult(sort of) but more tasty way...

You need:

Same fish
Tortilla chips
A spicy pepper or two(depending how you like it) can use a Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero, up to you
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
Chili powder(optional)
Cumin(optional)
Kosher Salt
Fresh Limes(1 or 2 at least) I love lime juice so I tend to add a bit more than many.
Eggs(1 or 2) broken onto a plate/bowl and mixed up
Flour(optional, same deal as last recipe, can be used if you'd like but make sure you give it some salt and pepper before you put the fish in)
Blender or food processor

Ok, lets get right to it...

First, wash and pat the fish dry just like last time. Not hard running water, gently.

Next part depends on how spicy you like it. Wash the Jalapeno(or whatever you want to use). At this point, some people cut it open and pull out the seeds and all that. Depends on how spicy you like it. Definitely give it a few cuts and add to the blender/processor. give it a few go rounds so its chopped well.

Now add in the cilantro, the lime juice, some salt(but not too much, the chips have salt), the chili pow and cumin(if using) to the processor/blender and get it good and pretty smooth.

Time to add the chips. At this point you don't want to mix it too much, you still want the chips to have some texture. You're adding them last so they keep some crispness to them. You do want the crumbs to be pretty small, but not powder. put the mixture onto a plate or in a bowl.

Now its the same as last recipe. If you want, you can start with seasoned flour(but not necessary) otherwise start with a dip into the eggs and then into the crumb mixture.

Once again, into a baking dish or pan of some sort with nonstick coating or pam/nonstick spray. Place into a 375-400 degree oven. The timing will once again depend on the thickness of the fish.

Any questions, let me know :suds:

Once again, thanks!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, thanks!

No problem :suds: Forgot to add. On that second fish recipe, the amount of cilantro depends on how much you like cilantro, I happen to like it a lot so I used quite a bit. Many people don't like it that much so would want to cut it down quite a bit...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never tried to duplicate a restaurant dish. I always just went there to get it if I liked it.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never tried to duplicate a restaurant dish. I always just went there to get it if I liked it.

I can appreciate that :nod: However, its not always possible if the restaurant/dish is one you tried while travelling, or a at restaurant you can't afford to go to often, things like that :suds:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romano's Macaroni Grill makes a dish called Penne Rustica that may be my favorite Italian dish I've ever had. In fact, I got it the first time I ate at a Romano's and it remains the only thing I've ever eaten there. It has chicken, shrimp, prosciutto, rosemary cream and parmesan.

The nearest Romano's is at least 35 minutes away, so I decided to figure out how to make it. Took me a couple of tries, but I pretty well have it nailed.

Also, the Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter ala Homer from The Old Spaghetti Factory, but that one's really easy.