• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Guitar players

Best Ever

• Total voters

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol well I fucked this one up.

Maybe I should have set some guidelines

I don't think so, I just think there is too much and too many to narrow it down. If you were to include classical guitarists, it would even widen the field. Just everybody has their own tastes in music and what makes that music great. And it is just hard to narrow it down to one person given all the variables.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were so many great guitarists to come out during the 70's it's almost impossible to make a list that is all inclusive. One could argue that Steve Miller, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent and others could even be included for consideration. To pick the best ever is futile because each brought something different, Hendrix though did make the guitar the center piece of the rock band or did he? Maybe that was Buddy Holly who was also a pretty damn good guitar player considering the time period he played.

This is true. Also no one ever mentions bassist. I read one time that The Doors featured Ray Manzarek on the keyboards so much because they couldn't find a good bass player that Morrison and Manzarek were happy with.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even get started on bassists, Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi, Greg Lake (who also played lead guitar sometimes)...

Chris Squire, Stanley Clarke, .....................

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though not one to be considered for a great bass player Leo Lyons on bass for Ten Years After had to be one of the most entertaining bass players to watch live. That guy was almost schizophrenic on stage.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been playing guitar for 30 years, and none of the players on that list are in my top ten.

IMHO, Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, John McClaughlin, Al Dimeola, Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Roy Clark, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, and Paul Gilbert are technically more proficient, and considerably more prolific in talent than any of the folks on that list.

In reality, there is no finish line, no speed limit or other quantitative measure that can honestly discern just who is better when it comes to guitar playing. Just like surfing, the guy having the most fun is the best

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been playing guitar for 30 years, and none of the players on that list are in my top ten.

IMHO, Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, John McClaughlin, Al Dimeola, Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Roy Clark, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, and Paul Gilbert are technically more proficient, and considerably more prolific in talent than any of the folks on that list.

In reality, there is no finish line, no speed limit or other quantitative measure that can honestly discern just who is better when it comes to guitar playing. Just like surfing, the guy having the most fun is the best

Yes. Given the thousands of great guitarists -- any narrow list almost ridiculous. I mean there are so many styles and genres of music over many generations.

Also, who's to say that the famous were ever really the best. The best were likely some crazy unknown geniuses we've never heard...

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite bassist:

Geddy Lee - Rush
Duff McKagan - Guns n Roses
Mel Schachar - Grand Funk

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mentioned Roy Clark a couple of pages back....thought I would be laughed off SportsHoopla. I really liked the guy though.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one has mentioned yngwie malmsteen ??

robert johnson was amazing.. johnny winters as well.. theres a lot of guiartists it boils down to which type of music.. classical, rock, blues, jazz.. roy cooder i think is how you spell it as well.. just popped in my head..

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

robert johnson was amazing.. johnny winters as well.. theres a lot of guiartists it boils down to which type of music.. classical, rock, blues, jazz.. roy cooder i think is how you spell it as well.. just popped in my head..

I love Yngwie. I've seen him at least a dozen times. He was a big inspiration and influence on my early playing...but, he's a one trick pony(it's an amazing trick though), and honestly I would put him in the top 20 based on influence alone.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nono:

I mentioned him a few pages back, but probably not in the context you are looking for.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned Roy Clark a couple of pages back....thought I would be laughed off SportsHoopla. I really liked the guy though.

I grew up watching Hee Haw, and his ability to play electric, acoustic, mandolin, and banjo helped me realize that you don't have to limit yourself in any capacity. You won't hear much of RC's influence in my playing, but he certainly opened my eyes to what a real guitar master was.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Yngwie. I've seen him at least a dozen times. He was a big inspiration and influence on my early playing...but, he's a one trick pony(it's an amazing trick though), and honestly I would put him in the top 20 based on influence alone.

At least you can play. I tried to learn back in the late 60's but just couldn't get the hang of it. So I stuck with the trumpet and learned to pucker up real good, which came in handy with girls. I did take up piano in the late 70's but never got that good at it.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to rank Hendrix at #1. Half the British Invasion wanted to kill themselves when they saw him live for the first time. The other half would follow him around to catch his performances and take notes. Page ripped off a lot of JH. Like the infamous criminal Machine Gun / No Quarter swipe.
Whatta you smokin', man? Page ripped off Hendrix, A LOT???? There might be similarities to the rhythm between the 2 songs but that can said for just about any songs out there.

The last thing Page did was rip off Jimi (or anyone else for that matter) a lot.

There's always something about one song that can be compared to another when it comes to music and sounding similar.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Page DEFINITELY ripped off a lot of folks in the early days, but Jimi wasn't really one of them. You have to consider that at the time, Jimmy Page was the most in-demand studio/session guitarist in England. He played on literally hundreds of popular tunes, jingles, and soundtracks.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Page DEFINITELY ripped off a lot of folks in the early days, but Jimi wasn't really one of them. You have to consider that at the time, Jimmy Page was the most in-demand studio/session guitarist in England. He played on literally hundreds of popular tunes, jingles, and soundtracks.

funny, I do not get so much as a sniff of others styles when I listen to Page

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. Also no one ever mentions bassist. I read one time that The Doors featured Ray Manzarek on the keyboards so much because they couldn't find a good bass player that Morrison and Manzarek were happy with.
Ray usually played bass on a Fender Rhodes Piano but when he discovered the Vox bass organ, that's when The Doors signature sound was founded and Bass player tryout's were over.