• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Guitar players

Best Ever

• Total voters

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to respect the inventors, that shared no peer, during their time.

But we are not talking about respecting the man. I think we all have mad props for Hendrix anyone that say's they do not are likely looking for a rise out of us. We all know what Jimi brought to the table and what he meant to rock and roll and how he influenced rock, does not equate to him being the best guitar player ever.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it does. Just as I think the Wright Brother's plane, is the greatest plane ever.

50 years from now, who will be spoken of more, the Wright Brothers or the guy that invented the Boeing?

I'm with Bill Burr 100% There are people that transcend their respective careers, and become immortalized icons. None of the mentioned guitarists fit that bill, except for Jimi.

Like the video says....you can go to any neighborhood in America, and find a 13 year old who can play Voodoo Child....does that mean they are better than Hendrix?! Of course not.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it does. Just as I think the Wright Brother's plane, is the greatest plane ever.

50 years from now, who will be spoken of more, the Wright Brothers or the guy that invented the Boeing?

I'm with Bill Burr 100% There are people that transcend their respective careers, and become immortalized icons. None of the mentioned guitarists fit that bill, except for Jimi.

Like the video says....you can go to any neighborhood in America, and find a 13 year old who can play Voodoo Child....does that mean they are better than Hendrix?! Of course not.[/QUOTE

But the question is not who is the biggest ICONIC guitar player, if it were I would agree with you. The question is who the greatest guitar player. Are you missing this or trying to change the conversation? I agree that Hendrix is more iconic have no issues at all with that. And I am pretty sure the F-22 is a better plane the the one Orval flew

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if that's the case, then why isn't the list composed of Yngwie Malmsteen, Satriani and the likes?

The question was "Best Ever". Not the most technically skilled, or the best Blues or Prog Rock player, it's whose the GOAT. Whose criteria IMO, includes iconic status just as much as technical skill, especially since we're comparing a trade that spans 50 years!?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad...I thought it said best EVER just says best...still.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh...wait, the poll does say EVER...phew...thought I was losing it there for a sec:happy:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of Stevie Ray Vaughn till the man died in the helo crash. Since, I've grown to like a lot of his stuff. But to me, all his music is the same. I was stuck between Eric Clapton and Jimmie Page and went with Page after a bit.

Both are diverse as hell. I'm a zep freak from the day and just had to go with em.

So that brings me around to saying....like music, there is no one brand better than the other....it's all eargasams to the person that loves it.

Still.....f'n page man.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zep's the greatest rock band fo sho, and Page is right there IMO, but for the splash of time that he was there, Jimi flipped the shit upside down. No peers, for that brief but historic moment in time.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm takin' it old school on ya...

Robert Johnson.

Thirty years after his death, Keith Richards was listening to one of his old songs and said, "Robert's not bad but who's the other guy playing with him"?

There was no other guy - that's how good Robert was.

People were still trying to figure out how he played 30 years after he died. And think about how many people he influenced.

Behind him I have Jimi and Eddie Van Halen, BB, and Clapton in that order.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just for convo...

I saw Paul McCartney in concert last year and he was talking bout Jimi. (Them old guys are charmers man...he coulda just talked the whole time, and I woulda listened) any way, he says that they had just released what they believed to be their masterpiece, Sgt. Peppers...came out on a Friday. Like a day later, they watched Hendrix perform the whole album in some club in Greenwich Village(I believe?) He said that the four of them (the Beatles) were mortified. Blew all their minds. He said, we worked our butts off for that album, and he did it two nites night after it came out, and it was better.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few serious notables missing from this list:
- Mark Knopfler
- Steve Vai
- Joe Satriani
- Stanley Jordan
- Rik Emmett
- Chris Whitley

No disrespect to the original listing--as they are all great (especially SRV)---but there are way too many guitarists who are missing from what appears to be a "main stream list".

Carlos Santana, one of my personal favorites

Santana....for sure a legend and still going strong. And I would add in Roy Clark....yep...pickin n a grinnin

There is so much music out there. I think everyone is right on this one.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think, that if yer going GOAT, said person must transcend their respective careers.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get the love for Van Halen. Saw them right after the first album came out and in my opinion both Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) and Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult) were better. Still think that way and Leslie West was no slouch when I saw him.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
straight talent....can't even argue...there too many....too many that didn't blow up....too many unheard. But certain dudes just transcend their trade. Become immortalized. Does that mean they were the most skilled, or best at the time? Not necessarily. Popular culture is deemed from idiots in most cases. But it's hard to deny what Jimi did at the time. When you got Clapton willfully stepping down from the throne for him? He flipped the script a bit. And 50 years from now, he will still be argued as the GOAT.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hendricks but I voted for Page.

(David Gilmour should be on the list)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a pretty good piece, Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover also selected one of the hardest songs to play.

[YOUTUBE]VnqpOFcBiMM&list=FLPDO74NA_NJFiiG8-ADGhTw&index=88[/YOUTUBE]

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hendricks but I voted for Page.

(David Gilmour should be on the list)

There were so many great guitarists to come out during the 70's it's almost impossible to make a list that is all inclusive. One could argue that Steve Miller, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent and others could even be included for consideration. To pick the best ever is futile because each brought something different, Hendrix though did make the guitar the center piece of the rock band or did he? Maybe that was Buddy Holly who was also a pretty damn good guitar player considering the time period he played.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kPQLLLYAc]Johnny Winter - Woodstock 1969.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Winter and Alvin Lee were scheduled to play together in Paris when Alvin passed away. That would have been one great show to see, but...well evidently they had a tribute show to Alvin Lee instead but since everybody was so bummed out it wasn't a good show.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol well I fucked this one up.

Maybe I should have set some guidelines