• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best drummer ever?

Who is the greatest drummer ever?

• Phil Collins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neil Peart (Rush)

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Tommy Lee

• Lars Ulrich

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Vinnie Paul

• Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)

• Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones)

• Joey Kramer (Aerosmith)

• John Bonham (Led Zeppelin, duh!)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Rick Allen (Def Leppard)

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this kid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-e398B5O8Q"]Amir Bresler drum solo. Saulkrasti Jazz Festival 2013, Latvia. - YouTube[/ame]

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, to clear a few things up.....

"Why no Keith Moon"? Simple. He passed out while performing and a kid was brought on stage to take his place. The kid played drummer for his HS band. If you can be replaced that easily...I wont put you on my list.

"Why no Ringo"? Drummer for the Beatles was pretty simple.

"Why is Rick Allen on the list"? Easy, dude has one freakin' arm. He does everything the others do, just with one arm. Degree of difficulty alone puts him on the list.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple question: Who's the best drummer ever?
None of the above.

And seriously, how did Phil Collins make the list, but no Terry Bozzio. Other than Bonham and Peart this list is full of pop tarts who don't do anything a decent garage band drummer can't do. Where is Keith Moon? Where is Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy and the rest of the GREAT drummers!

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Narada Michael Walden
Paul Wertico
Steve Gadd
Alex Acuna
Carl Palmer
Bill Bruford
Chad Wackerman
Buddy Rich
Lenny White
Billy Cobham

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Why no Keith Moon"? Simple. He passed out while performing and a kid was brought on stage to take his place. The kid played drummer for his HS band. If you can be replaced that easily...I wont put you on my list.

"Why is Rick Allen on the list"? Easy, dude has one freakin' arm. He does everything the others do, just with one arm. Degree of difficulty alone puts him on the list.
Q; What has 9 arms and sucks?

A; Def Leppard

BTW, the teenager didn't "replace" Keith Moon, he filled in and the folks who paid money to see the Who got screwed..

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the above.

And seriously, how did Phil Collins make the list, but no Terry Bozzio. Other than Bonham and Peart this list is full of pop tarts who don't do anything a decent garage band drummer can't do. Where is Keith Moon? Where is Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy and the rest of the GREAT drummers!

I literally explained Keith Moon in the post above yours.

He passed out during a concert and a kid in the audience finished his set for him.

If some guy from the audience can do your job, you didn't have mad skills.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the above.

well put

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I literally explained Keith Moon in the post above yours.

He passed out during a concert and a kid in the audience finished his set for him.

If some guy from the audience can do your job, you didn't have mad skills.
Pulling a talented kid out of the audience to keep the beat doesn't constitute doing his job. Moon had a style that few have been able to master since he drank himself to death and without him Pete Townsend has no one else to help him carry the band.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peart and then Danny Carey a close second in the rock/metal category.

Buddy Rich was a huge influence on Peart and he often says that Rich the greatest drummer ever. I tend to believe whatever he says.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy Rich explaining why he uses traditional instead of match...and then tearing shit up.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't vote but Neil peart
I would have thought Danny Carey of tool would have gotten a mention over josh freese of a perfect circle they are two of my favorites though

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like them both but I have to put Danny Carey a step ahead I'll have to find the clip where he kills the double bass and finishes off with the gong

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy Rich was a huge influence on Peart and he often says that Rich the greatest drummer ever..

Hard to find any great drummer say otherwise.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone else played drums that night. He wasn't "replaced". Listen to the drumming on Live at Leeds, Who's Next, Quadrophenia... basically anything he played on before he began to drink himself down the drain. Then listen to any of their albums with Kenny Jones and tell me how easily he was replaced. One was a creative genius and one was a time keeper. Moon wasn't the most technically proficient, but he was a unique innovator who played the drums as a lead instrument. He's easily my fav of the rock guys.

I'll go with Buddy Rich.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to find any great drummer say otherwise.

Thing with Buddy Rich is, he was a complete arrogant asshole and everyone who knew him hated him. Yet as much as they despised him personally, they still couldn't stop raving about his drum skills.

IMO he was the Michael Jordan of drummers. As in that, he was the greatest, he knew he was the greatest, every other drummer knew he was the greatest, but he still felt the necessity to constantly remind everyone, both verbally as well as prove it every time he performed.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing with Buddy Rich is, he was a complete arrogant asshole and everyone who knew him hated him. Yet as much as they despised him personally, they still couldn't stop raving about his drum skills.

IMO he was the Michael Jordan of drummers. As in that, he was the greatest, he knew he was the greatest, every other drummer knew he was the greatest, but he still felt the necessity to constantly remind everyone, both verbally as well as prove it every time he performed.

Yep.

He looked like he was moving in fast-forward when he's really feeling it. Kind of superhuman and untouchable, and he knew it.