• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best College Football Season the Last 20 Years

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 20 years, what rings out as a the best season for college football that you can recall?

Personally, they are all great regardless of how my team does.

I liked 2008 even though my team was rather meaningless.

You had the whole Big 12 controversy of who should be champs in the South? Oklahoma? Texas? Texas Tech? They traded wins and losses with one another, and the voting champ got the nod in OU.

In the SEC, you had the rising power again of Bama meeting head on with Florida in the SEC Championship game. Tebow and Urbs not crying this time rake it home.

And then you had a solid title game with UF vs OU in which the game was tightly contested with a lot of important plays that decided the outcome.

And then on the outside during the entire season after October, you had a great USC team just sitting on the sidelines after their October loss to Oregon State in the upset of the year. They rolled the table impressively from there on out, and were voted out as the only 1 loss power conference team behind UF and OU.

Personally, I thought USC was the best team in 2008 and would have taken down the Tebow-talking Ole Miss losing SEC Champs.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easy answer...(even if the question was 'the last 30 years')

Michigan State University 2013. But for that bitter loss in South Bend earlier in the season, undefeated Michigan State might have been playing undefeated Ohio State - the winner to play FSU for the NC. Even so, Pasadena was sweet.

:suds:

tell ya what, I LIKE this winning stuff!
think we'll keep it.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State University 2013. But for that bitter loss in South Bend earlier in the season, undefeated Michigan State might have been playing undefeated Ohio State - the winner to play FSU for the NC. Even so, Pasadena was sweet.

tell ya what, I LIKE this winning stuff!
think we'll keep it.

Your Spartans sure did have a special year in 2013. Schedule did you a lot of favors, but you took care of business when it really mattered. :suds:

Was looking for a little more than homers in this thread. Probably a worthless and pathetic venture on the Hoop. :doh:

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love em all, but I'll say 2012 b/c its so fresh...that was pretty incredible. The Bama-LSU game (rally in Death Valley), the next week Bama loses to A&M and then the following week Oregon and K. State lose. A couple weeks later Bama-UGA in the SEC Championship game was a classic.

What year was it when Crabtree caught that pass along the sidelines in the final seconds to beat Texas? Was it 08? That was another great year.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2007 was pretty good...top 5 teams falling every single week

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be a little homer and say 2004 season.

That was the year 3 major conference teams went undefeated - USC, Auburn, Oklahoma. Utah was the 4th team that went undefeated. Texas's only loss was to OU in the RRSO and beat Michigan in a fun Rose Bowl game. Right before the Rose Bowl game, Iowa had "The Catch" to beat LSU in the Capitol One Bowl.

I remember senior Aaron Rodgers complaining that season that Texas got the Rose Bowl instead of Cal, then Texas Tech beat them

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your Spartans sure did have a special year in 2013. Schedule did you a lot of favors, but you took care of business when it really mattered.

Was looking for a little more than homers in this thread. Probably a worthless and pathetic venture on the Hoop. :doh:

Pathetic maybe...but certainly not worthless! :lol: please allow me to rephrase my response to fit your thread's well-defined parameters.

I believe the best cfb season in the past 20 years was the 2013 cfb season...where the nation saw a twice-miracle-struck Auburn sitting on the sidelines rooting for a one-loss unheralded MSU team to upset the 24-0 #2 Ohio State Buckeyes.

better?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gonna say 2007 as well.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2007 and 2011. There were some absolutely awesome games and plays in both of those years.

Game of the Century
RG3 Hail Mary
Kirk Cousins Hail Mary
Iowa State upsets Okie Lite
Braxton Miller Hail Mary
Trent's run vs Ole Miss

There are countless others. Great overall season of football.

countless others

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 was a great year too. 3 really classic games off the top of my head. USC vs. Notre Dame the infamous "Bush Push." Texas vs. Ohio State went down to the wire as well. And then the title game USC vs. Texas was an absolute classic.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously 2002
also 1994 1998 2001 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2012 2013

13-7 vs TTUN last 20 years

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 was a great year too. 3 really classic games off the top of my head. USC vs. Notre Dame the infamous "Bush Push." Texas vs. Ohio State went down to the wire as well. And then the title game USC vs. Texas was an absolute classic.

A buddy of mine who is a huge ND fan was at that game. We had been texting smacktalk all game long. I had typed in my "congratulations text" and was about to hit send when Leinart completed the pass to Jarrett.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine who is a huge ND fan was at that game. We had been texting smacktalk all game long. I had typed in my "congratulations text" and was about to hit send when Leinart completed the pass to Jarrett.

Yep. I was on the phone with my girlfriend who was travelling and in between connecting flights. She loves college football. When she touched down at the airport she immediately called me to ask for an update on the game. I said, "It's over. Notre Dame's going to do it!" Then the pass to Jarrett occurred and I yelled, "No, wait USC's gonna do this thing!" Then Leinhart fumbled at the half yard line and it almost looked like it went into the endzone when the play was live and I said, "Leinhart fumbled. Notre Dame's gonna win!" Then the ball was spotted at the one with one play left which was followed by the Bush push and it was back to "USC won!" By the end of it all I think I had her thoroughly confused. What an amazing game. I'll never forget it. That was my favorite season right there too. 2005 even though my team sucked that year, finished with four losses, and got drilled by Georgia in the opener. I mean the NCG alone. What a heavyweight brawl. What a finish to an awesome season.

My girl's the best. When Zabransky threw the pick six against OU the following year in the Fiesta Bowl with barely anytime left in the game I stood up in my seat at the stadium and said to her, "Let's go. We're out of here. I'm not sticking around for this." She grabbed my arm, looked me square in the eye, and said, "Sit down. We're not going anywhere. There's a minute left on that clock and we're not leaving." Man, I love that girl!

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh 2004,2008 2 undefeated season in one Decade. BOOOOOI! :nod:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was the year 3 major conference teams went undefeated - USC, Auburn, Oklahoma. Utah was the 4th team that went undefeated. Texas's only loss was to OU in the RRSO and beat Michigan in a fun Rose Bowl game. Right before the Rose Bowl game, Iowa had "The Catch" to beat LSU in the Capitol One Bowl.

I remember senior Aaron Rodgers complaining that season that Texas got the Rose Bowl instead of Cal, then Texas Tech beat them

I think AP deserved Heisman that year

1 Matt Lienart Jr. USC QB
2 Adrian Peterson Fr. Oklahoma RB
3 Jason White Sr. Oklahoma QB
4 Alex Smith Sr. Utah QB
5 Reggie Bush So. USC TB
6 Cedric Benson Sr. Texas RB
7 Jason Campbell Sr. Auburn QB
8 J. J. Arrington Sr. California RB
9 Aaron Rodgers Jr. California QB
10 Braylon Edwards Sr. Michigan WR

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember senior Aaron Rodgers complaining that season that Texas got the Rose Bowl instead of Cal, then Texas Tech raped and clownstomped them

FIFY......