• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Actor

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 4 favorite actors(not necessarily the greatest):

Tom Hanks
Edward Norton
Daniel day Lewis
Steve buschemi

All four are versatile and can pull off any role given to them.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Robert Duval...he is brilliant. Just look at this list of work and try to remember some of these performances:

Robert Duvall - IMDb

His portrayal of Augustus in Lonesome Dove is amazing,....as is much of his body of work.
There are many great actors, but Duval needs to be near the top of any best actor list.

Duvall has been around forever, and had nice roles in many great films....kudos

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel like perusing the whole thread....but did anyone list..?

Gregory Peck
Alan Ladd
William Holden
Jack Lemmon
James Cagney
Anthony Quinn
Victor Mature
George Raft
Rod Steiger
Lee Marvin
Jason Robards
Broderick Crawford

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Sidney Poitier? My dad always liked him.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listed him earlier....great actor.

My bad, didn't read the entire thread. I agree. I tend to like the actors/actresses my dad likes. Robert Duvall is also one of my all time faves so I agree with you guys. Has James Caan been mentioned?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Caan was listed, but what about....
Ray Milland, Lee J. Cobb, Warren Oates, Ernest Borgnine, Jack Warden, Howard Duff, Cary Grant...or even John Wayne?

Heard of 3 of those actors and liked them. I know more about Wayne and Borgnine but have seen a couple of Grant films. Not sure I'm qualified to judge all time...yet.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robin Williams, Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr. When I see their movies, I see the characters they play not the actor.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised nobody has mentioned Will Smith. He has had some impressive roles and pretty good diversity in his young career....from Comedy to Action to Drama. He was practically the only actor in I Am Legend.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised nobody has mentioned Will Smith. He has had some impressive roles and pretty good diversity in his young career....from Comedy to Action to Drama. He was practically the only actor in I Am Legend.

Yep...there was a thread a while about about actors with the most range, and I listed him for the same reasons you did. When you look at his list of works and the different genres he's done well in (Fresh Prince, MIB, Independence Day, Ali, Pursuit of Happiness, IRobot, I Am Legend, etc), it's quite impressive.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that someone mentioned the Duke but he was never really taken seriously as an actor but it was well deserved him winning the Oscar for True Grit and he probably should have been nominated a few other times.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that someone mentioned the Duke but he was never really taken seriously as an actor but it was well deserved him winning the Oscar for True Grit and he probably should have been nominated a few other times.

I mentioned him...he definitely deserved a nod imho....especially for the many awesome westerns he was in.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, Jack Lemmon, Alec Guinness, James Cagney...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the DDL love. The guy has made one good movie in the last 20 years (Gangs of New York) and he wasn't even the best actor in the movie. He played Lincoln like a fucking buffoonish uncle who everyone seemed to ignore. It was a disgraceful performance outside of one monologue. When he was nominated for that shitshow, I realized that anything he did would be considered "epic," even if it would be disgraceful for other actors. And even his signature performance (There Will Be Blood) is a horrid movie with literally no point. And while he is a talented actor, he's not talented enough to make it remotely entertaining.

What has the guy proven in the last 20 years? That he can give good acting performances when he picks one movie every five years? Okay, I guess.

To each his own I guess - but you are going to be in an extremely small minority on this line of thought. He did exactly what he was supposed to do with Lincoln and nobody could have done it better. Ever seen My Left Foot; Last of the Mohicans; There Will Be Blood (horrible movie, but terrific acting); Lincoln; Gangs of New York (he was incredible in that movie). Dude plays a totally different part in every movie. Him and Penn are in a league of their own, imo.

Also, one name that hasn't been mentioned - Benicio Del Torro.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own I guess - but you are going to be in an extremely small minority on this line of thought. He did exactly what he was supposed to do with Lincoln and nobody could have done it better. Ever seen My Left Foot; Last of the Mohicans; There Will Be Blood (horrible movie, but terrific acting); Lincoln; Gangs of New York (he was incredible in that movie). Dude plays a totally different part in every movie. Him and Penn are in a league of their own, imo.

Also, one name that hasn't been mentioned - Benicio Del Torro.

Not a fan at all. I really don't understand how he is successful. I can never understand what he is trying to say. Maybe he should try taking the marbles out of his mouth.