• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Actor

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize if this has been done before.

Me and my girl were talking about this last night, who's the best actor of all time. My opinion is actors from the past are best, Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando. I do think some more modern actors are very good Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Willem Dafoe, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks even Leo DiCaprio.

I'm not even gonna mention the guys my girl said.

If I had to choose one I think I would go with Edward G. Robinson, he is so good in movies like Double Indemnity, Key Largo, The Sea Wolf & Five Star Final. Just a brilliant actor IMO.

Although if I did this tomorrow I just might say Humphrey Bogart.

So who do y'all think is the best of all time?

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to separate actors from roles. There are also too many aspects to compare to say who is best.

Jack Nicholson, for example, is really only an amazing character actor. He essentially plays the same person in all his roles.

Spencer Tracy, Bogey, Vincent Price, etc would never be successful today because acting was much more flamboyant "back in he day".

By today's standards, I would have to say Tom Hanks or Daniel Day Lewis are my "favorites" (not that they are necessarily my faves, but for this discussion they prob are). They play different characters every time out and they are complete chameleons. I like "reality" in my acting, not glorified stage performances.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Penn
Daniel Day Lewis

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an interesting argument for Tom Hanks. Take away Forrest Gump and have people list their top 3 Tom Hanks movies and everyone has a different list. That's some impressive versatility.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, his work in Dumb & Dumber was amazing! :clap:

The reason I mention him is because of his range. Does Dumb and Dumber across from Jim Carrey and then turns around and plays a civil war officer in Gettysburg. That is some serious range...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me ...to be in the running to be the best actor (at least for the modern day era) and actor has to at least have the balls to take on a variety of rolls. Just don't sit back and wait for these epic rolls.

And that is what Daniel Day Lewis does. He has only 9 movies since Last of the Redskins. (yea I know)

If I had to pick the best of our time.

I say it's a tie between De Niro & Pacino

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me ...to be in the running to be the best actor (at least for the modern day era) and actor has to at least have the balls to take on a variety of rolls. Just don't sit back and wait for these epic rolls.

And that is what Daniel Day Lewis does. He has only 9 movies since Last of Redskins. (yea I know)

Well played MacReady. :thumb:

But I do have to agree regarding DDL. He's a brilliant actor. In every role he takes on.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is what Daniel Day Lewis does. He has only 9 movies since Last of the Redskins. (yea I know)

If I had to pick the best of our time.

I say it's a tie between De Niro & Pacino

I honestly think Pacino is one of the most overrated actors of all time.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to separate actors from roles. There are also too many aspects to compare to say who is best.

Jack Nicholson, for example, is really only an amazing character actor. He essentially plays the same person in all his roles.

Spencer Tracy, Bogey, Vincent Price, etc would never be successful today because acting was much more flamboyant "back in he day".

By today's standards, I would have to say Tom Hanks or Daniel Day Lewis are my "favorites" (not that they are necessarily my faves, but for this discussion they prob are). They play different characters every time out and they are complete chameleons. I like "reality" in my acting, not glorified stage performances.

Not sure I can agree with that, movies are so different now from what movies were in the 30's and 40's technology has allowed hollywood to do different things not possible 80 years ago.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DiCaprio, Washington, Nicholson, Elba

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it says actor, but I'd like to throw Meryl Streep into the mix. Pretty damn fine, in a ridiculous range of roles. Judi Dench too.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it says actor, but I'd like to throw Meryl Streep into the mix. Pretty damn fine, in a ridiculous range of roles. Judi Dench too.

Agreed, if we did one for Actresses Streep would be right at the top of the list.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tom-hanks-big-gif.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_m8kc85r1l51qcndoio1_250.gif

tumblr_mbl6voH6aA1ql8livo2_500.gif

PRISM_ByTheGraceOfGod.gif

original.gif

original.gif

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch:

Dead Man Walking; Mystic River; I Am Sam; and Sweet and Lowdown - and you gotta at least have Sean Penn in the conversation, imo.