• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Actor

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogart and Fonda among the earlier actors. After that Nicholson, Scott, Washington, Penn, Hoffman, Hanks, Day Lewis, and DiCaprio

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said before that I think Michael Shannon is the most talented actor I've ever seen. I'm not sure I can think of anyone who's even close.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the DDL love. The guy has made one good movie in the last 20 years (Gangs of New York) and he wasn't even the best actor in the movie. He played Lincoln like a fucking buffoonish uncle who everyone seemed to ignore. It was a disgraceful performance outside of one monologue. When he was nominated for that shitshow, I realized that anything he did would be considered "epic," even if it would be disgraceful for other actors. And even his signature performance (There Will Be Blood) is a horrid movie with literally no point. And while he is a talented actor, he's not talented enough to make it remotely entertaining.

What has the guy proven in the last 20 years? That he can give good acting performances when he picks one movie every five years? Okay, I guess.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No much of a Lincoln scholar are ya kiddo?

Lincoln was one of the best debaters of all-time and would speak for hours on end to hundreds of witnesses. If you watched that movie, you'd think he was Captain Jack Sparrow on drugs, incapable of forming a complete thought outside of one scene.

That's why you saw all the compliments about how he "physically embodied Lincoln," which is a bizarre compliment when it is bequeathed to a person imitating someone never caught on video camera. I guess a lot of the movie critics are 175 years old. Either that, or they are full of shit. Yes, it's one of those two.

Last edited by a moderator:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said before that I think Michael Shannon is the most talented actor I've ever seen. I'm not sure I can think of anyone who's even close.

Seriously, who is Michael Shannon?

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, probably an age difference between us. I once liked the 3 Stooges.

I still like the 3 stooges and am a huge fan of Laurel & Hardy. You can be silly at any age Oscar...

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Cooper - Sergeant York, The Pride Of The Yankees, High Noon, A Farewell To Arms
Robert Shaw- Jaws, The Sting, Force 10 From Navarone, The Deep, Battle of The Buldge
Richard Dreyfuss- Close Encounters, Jaws, The Goodbeye Girl, American Graffiti
Dustin Hoffman- Tootsie, Papillon, Outbreak, Marathon Man, Rain Man
Robert Downey, Jr.- Chaplain, Iron Man, The Avengers, Sherlock Holmes
Denzel Washington- Glory, The Book of Eli, Training Day, A Soldier's Story, Remember The Titans
Paul Newman- Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,
Steve McQueen- Bullitt, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Papillon, Tom Horn, Hell Is For Heroes

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln was one of the best debaters of all-time and would speak for hours on end to hundreds of witnesses. If you watched that movie, you'd think he was Captain Jack Sparrow on drugs, incapable of forming a complete thought outside of one scene.

That's why you saw all the compliments about how he "physically embodied Lincoln," which is a bizarre compliment when it is bequeathed to a person imitating someone never caught on video camera. I guess a lot of the movie critics are 175 years old. Either that, or they are full of shit. Yes, it's one of those two.
In Bumblefuck, Illinois. To crowds of illiterate yokels. In DC, those closest to him (His cabinet, Congressmen, Senators, Generals, local slaves, etc.) constantly complained, whined, pissed, moaned and bitched about not knowing what in the blue hell it was Ol' Abe was whispering aboot.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Bale(Screw you if your mind went to Batman) has been one of my favorites since Empire of the Sun. Same goes for Malkovich. Also a big fan of Gary Sinise, despite the fact he might actually think he's Lieutenant Dan. Could be the only person I know that's sick of Denzel. Aside from Glory, there isn't much of his work that I want to see for a fifth, sixth or seventh time. (Maybe Crimson Tide, maybe.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Bale(Screw you if your mind went to Batman) has been one of my favorites since Empire of the Sun. Same goes for Malkovich. Also a big fan of Gary Sinise, despite the fact he might actually think he's Lieutenant Dan. Could be the only person I know that's sick of Denzel. Aside from Glory, there isn't much of his work that I want to see for a fifth, sixth or seventh time. (Maybe Crimson Tide, maybe.)

Sitting in the living room watching a movie I thought of Gary Sinise, I have liked him in just about everything I've seen him in.

I gotta say i'm surprised not one other person has mentioned Willem Dafoe, freakin' love that guy!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting in the living room watching a movie I thought of Gary Sinise, I have liked him in just about everything I've seen him in.

I gotta say i'm surprised not one other person has mentioned Willem Dafoe, freakin' love that guy!

Willem creeps me out. I don't know why, or even in what way, but Im uneasy when he's on screen. Not even sure if that's a bad thing or not.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robin Williams in Good Will hunting, then when he was the psycopath..shocked me how pretty good he was out of his normal characters.

John Malkovic-maybe the most underated actor
Richard Dryfus
Penn
Hanks
Robert Duval-just great
Hackman
Depp
Day Lewis, Deniro - both phenominal

Sneaking up is Matt Damon if he takes a few more bad guy roles and Mark Wahlburg.

Yup, Robert Duval...he is brilliant. Just look at this list of work and try to remember some of these performances:

Robert Duvall - IMDb

His portrayal of Augustus in Lonesome Dove is amazing,....as is much of his body of work.
There are many great actors, but Duval needs to be near the top of any best actor list.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christoph Waltz is up there for me already. So is Michael Fassbender. As far as all timers it's a matter of opinion. I haven't seen Robert Redford mentioned. I'm not sure of his range but of the roles he's played, I've pretty much liked them all.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bluebonnet Spearman. Might be my favorite Duval role. Cezero might not agree, but to me, a lot of actors are at their best opposite Costner.