• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 Oscars / 90th Academy Awards

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Picture Noms

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I have only seen Dinkirk and Get Out. Only Dunkirk had a “Best Pic” feel, but I don’t think it wins. Based on reviews and whatnot, I would guess Billboards wins. Although Call Me and Post have the political edge.

Best Actor

Daniel Day Lewis
Daniel Kaluuya
Denzel Washington
Gary Oldman
Timothee Chalamet

3 heavy weights. I haven’t seen Darkest Hours, but Oldman is getting lots of praise. At this point, I think he wins.

Best Actress

Frances McDormand
Margot Robbie
Meryl Streep
Sally Hawkins
Saoirse Ronan

I haven’t seen any of these. McDormand is getting a lot of buzz...

Supporting Actor

Christopher Plummer
Richard Jenkins
Sam Rockwell
Willem Dafoe
Woody Harrelson

Haven’t seen any of these. Plummer has the political story to push him over the edge, IMHO.

Supporting Actress

Allison Janney
Laurie Metcalf
Leslie Manville
Mary J Blige
Octavia Spencer

I have only seen Mudbound, and I thought Blige was incredibly bland. WAY overrated performance. But the movie tells the right story, so she may get the nod. But Metcalf is getting a lot of buzz as well. My guess is Metcalf gets the win.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen every movie nominated in all these categories besides Mudbound.

Best Picture: Get Out is the best of the nine (Blade Runner 2049 was the best movie I saw all year but not nominated). Shape of Water and Three Billboards are the co-favorite, with Shape maybe inching ahead after Three Billboards was snubbed on Best Director. Lady Bird is the clear number three. It would be a shock if anything else won.

Best Actor: Gary Oldman. Not really close either.

Best Actress: Frances McDormand. Her and Ronan were excellent and I think both would be extremely deserving. I think, though, that her performance went outside normal human behavior, and that impressed me more than Ronans authenticity.

Best Supporting: Sam Rockwell should win and will win. The best supporting performance in several years.

Best Supporting Actress: Janney and Metcalf were a few cuts above the other few. Janney was a great villain and will win, but Metcalf was better because her performance was more nuanced and heartfelt.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Billboards was the best picture I've seen this year. Oldman is a lock and Frances McDormand is my pick for best actress. Haven't seen I Tonya yet, but Allison Janney I hear is almost a lock. Sam Rockwell was really great.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen only 3 Billboards, Get Out & Mudbound of the pics with any nominations. I didn't like Mudbound and agree about Blige's performance. I thought she just walked through the part. But the critics are calling it "stoic", so whatever.

The other 2 were thoroughly enjoyable. McDormand was brilliant. I haven't seen the others but she's won every award so far this season, so call her a lock. Sam Rockwell & Woody Harrelson were both very good in it also and Rockwell has been winning most of the early awards. But Christopher Plummer has never won one and he's pushing 90 so maybe him. Oldham seems to be the odds on fav for best actor. For best supporting actress, I've always liked Janney's work and Metcalf always got on my nerves for some reason. But I haven't seen either and plan on seeing both flics. Probably one of them.

I wouldn't mind seeing Get Out take best pic though that's not likely. Horror & comedy rarely win and it's a bit of both. But it was very entertaining and none of the nominees are being touted as all time great flics, so why not.

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they'll move the Oscar telecast to HBO next year.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Award shows are boring.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise. Hollywood is just trying to pat itself on the back by spewing all this political bullshit and nobody wants to hear it. A bunch of rich/wealthy athletes and celebs with a bunch of hearsay talking about race, sexual assault, etc. before going home to their 10,000 square foot mansions and sports cars while doing absolutely nothing to really solve the issue except randomly spew shit out to try and convince America their farts don't stink.

It's the reason nobody wanted to watch this shit, NFL ratings dropped, and Trump got elected.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That what happens when politics get involved
They actually generally did a good job keeping politics out of it (though I fast forwarded through most speeches). The Common song was the biggest exception. I'm guessing they told Kimmel to keep it down.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost as if people view their entertainment differently these days.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching tOscars has always seemed gay.

I don't care if it's on a TV, a laptop or in person.

Reactions: GNG

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That what happens when politics get involved

Yep, you defend a ********* in Roman Polanksi, yet "oppose" sexual harassment and not to mention never give Alfred Hitchcock an Oscar but you give Kobe Bryant one. And we are suppose to take your opinions seriously.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually watch them with my wife. I don't know who half of those people are anymore. This year's were more boring than usual.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first hour only (beginning at 8:00pm eastern), then switched over to The Walking Dead and then Talking Dead.... I imagine lots of other folks did that too.