• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Patriots

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mixon is going to have a career year. I think with the passing threat they have in Houston, and the really good run blocking offensive line, Mixon is going to probably wind up with 1400+ yards this year I bet.
I have a sense that Week 1 was a bit of a fluke. He had 30 carries and his longest rush of the day was 13 yards - So, he still doesn't show any explosion. I think he's in a better spot for the type of back he is, but I don't think he'll continue to shine.... I think those advanced stats that showed decline will continue to show up this season.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a sense that Week 1 was a bit of a fluke. He had 30 carries and his longest rush of the day was 13 yards - So, he still doesn't show any explosion. I think he's in a better spot for the type of back he is, but I don't think he'll continue to shine.... I think those advanced stats that showed decline will continue to show up this season.
I can respect that point of view. Here is t he difference, Mixon appears to be running harder also. Of his 159 yards, 115 were after initial contact. He is running through tackles. He didn't do much of that here.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can respect that point of view. Here is t he difference, Mixon appears to be running harder also. Of his 159 yards, 115 were after initial contact. He is running through tackles. He didn't do much of that here.
Sometimes getting dumped makes you up your game a little...we'll see where he lands at the end of the season. Won't surprise me if his surface numbers are better, but I think in the end his advanced metrics won't be greatly improved, but as you gain confidence anything can happen....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed tackles aren't exclusive to the Bengals. None of these teams hit each other enough in the preseason and conditioning is an issue. I know that most of Mixon's yards came in the second half and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most of his broken tackles did as well. I never thought of him as someone that didn't run with effort here in Cincinnati - I just thought his strength and explosion were eroding with age. This is what I think will happen as the season wears on. I'd be happy to be wrong..... I appreciate what Mixon did for the Bengals - He had a positive attitude when he could have complained and he was a major part of the winning culture here. So, I'm happy if he does well.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reader. best run stuffer they ever had. Extremely important to overall defense. Hard to replace him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a little side note from the another point of reference................

Every Patriot player played in every preseason game. Except David Andrews the starting center.

New head coach Mayo wanted to fairly evaluate every player at every position. He said after the final preseason game that he will do the same every year. 2 reasons.....................

1. He will be able to keep the best players at every spot.

2. Every player will have had game experience against other players playing for a spot on their team.

Not playing starters for fear of injuries can be injurious to a team's performance.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a little side note from the another point of reference................

Every Patriot player played in every preseason game. Except David Andrews the starting center.

New head coach Mayo wanted to fairly evaluate every player at every position. He said after the final preseason game that he will do the same every year. 2 reasons.....................

1. He will be able to keep the best players at every spot.

2. Every player will have had game experience against other players playing for a spot on their team.

Not playing starters for fear of injuries can be injurious to a team's performance.
Already have a better coach after one preseason.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might. I don't think he's advanced metrics will improve a ton from when he was here, but with that OL and their play-calling, that can be mitigated to a good degree. He had some really good games here, too. It can happen.

The issue is that Taylor wants to throw it, he has Burrow, and refuses to acknowledge by way of action the importance of having a balanced attack and a solid running threat.

Again, this is another thing Taylor continues to TALK about, but rarely puts into practice.

Just like his 4th down play - how many times have we heard in the past about how he laments going horizonal on 4th down, but then continues to call screens and end-arounds?
sometimes going to a scheme that better suits your skills helps. our offense is built around Joe Burrow's preferences, and he's not playing so well, so we're gonna suck. and of course, they felt Joe Mixon was a good fit for their offense, so yes, he's going to do much better there. hell, he may make the pro bowl this year. sucks to be a bengal fan this year I guess.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes going to a scheme that better suits your skills helps. our offense is built around Joe Burrow's preferences, and he's not playing so well, so we're gonna suck. and of course, they felt Joe Mixon was a good fit for their offense, so yes, he's going to do much better there. hell, he may make the pro bowl this year. sucks to be a bengal fan this year I guess.
Part of the issue is that you also have to be dedicated to a point to a balanced attack

In a game that was never out of reach, the Bengals ran it 12 times while Burrow dropped back 33 times (29 passes, but 4 scrambles, IIRC)...

That's a 73/26 pass-run ratio ... in a game that was never to a point where they had to absolutely pass-pass-pass...(well, maybe the last drive)...

That's....terrible.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow was pressured on just 6 of his 35 dropbacks, the 3rd lowest pressure rate he has faced in his career (17.1%).

Per ZebraTechnology & NextGenStats
Sunday was definitely a Burrow problem. Wasn't seeing the D, looked indecisive, and just didn't get it done. He's been down before - I'm anxious to see how he responds.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the issue is that you also have to be dedicated to a point to a balanced attack

In a game that was never out of reach, the Bengals ran it 12 times while Burrow dropped back 33 times (29 passes, but 4 scrambles, IIRC)...

That's a 73/26 pass-run ratio ... in a game that was never to a point where they had to absolutely pass-pass-pass...(well, maybe the last drive)...

That's....terrible.
frank pollack is our run game coordinator.... why do we even need a run game coordinator?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac Taylor tossing grenades into the room

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woohoo!! Go Zac!

Stop me if you've heard me say this before...

No one gets less out of more than Zach Taylor with this offense. Imagine if dude from Miami was calling plays like they do down there for Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Gesicki, All, Brown, Moss, Burton......

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner somewhere....

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m going into hibernation this week. That game is gonna be so toxic.

Our idiot fanbase is gonna be obnoxious on Twitter with the “3-1 Burrow” and “Burrowhead” BS. I’m sure Chase or some backup DB will make a comment this week that the Chiefs will use as bulletin board material.

The Chiefs will curbstomp us by 24 and shine their rings while Taylor Swift calls the plays.
Called this one.

Ja’Marr declared us the the team to beat in the AFC.

CTB called Xavier Worthy a one trick pony.

This should end well.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Called this one.

Ja’Marr declared us the the team to beat in the AFC.

CTB called Xavier Worthy a one trick pony.

This should end well.
Xavier Worthy outperformed Marvin Harrison Jr last week. people need to think about that. everything a player does in college suddenly doesn't matter when the kickoff happens.