• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Simmons formally demands trade

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

But don’t say you always supported him.

Because you didn’t.

He didn’t quit on the 6ers until AFTER 6er fans quit on him.
They mostly certainly stood behind Ben Simmons throughout the near entirety of his time here.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm exceptionally perplexed at why people make so many excuses for this dude. I actually happen to agree Philly equally contributed to his wanting out....where I part ways is with a guy who insisted it was a mental thing...then when it could have came down to him not getting paid the old back injury flares up...and then he is ready to play, but oh no me back hurts so im out for the rest of the year.

But yea...still have mental issues and oh...did you guys actually expect me to work out or stay in shape while I was out?
If he was the qb of your favorite football team I doubt any of you would be so sympathetic. But because for some ungodly reason a former number one with all star talent is not seen as a leader in any way shape or form despite a 100 million dollar plus price tag.

Had he stuck with the mental narrative all year I could maybe see it. But the dude pussyfooted all year long wirh coming back.
I'll still say he should have been killed not traded.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right.

With near being the key word there.

And that was the problem.
Chicken and egg tlance. They were very supportive of a soft, mentally weak, problematic player for many years. If he's different even before the last playoff series maybe he gets more support. Their reaction at the end isn't just about the end.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right.

With near being the key word there.

And that was the problem.
That’s not a problem unless you want to reduce the NBA to everybody gets a trophy Rec league where we all stand and cheer voraciously for the 7th place team as they crush pizza and pick up their trophies. Ben Simmons wasn’t criticized for his failure. He’s criticized by a blue collar town because he won the genetic lottery when it comes to god given ability and from the time he set foot in the league he was a 16/8/8 guy who never shot and what is he still? A 16/8/8 guy who will never shoot the basketball. All day every day a guy like that is going to be criticized in a sports media in a town that actually cares about sports. I’ll say it again, Simmons would fair best in a town that has a wishy washy fan base that doesn’t care.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken and egg tlance. They were very supportive of a soft, mentally weak, problematic player for many years. If he's different even before the last playoff series maybe he gets more support. Their reaction at the end isn't just about the end.

But they shouldn’t be surprised at the result when they stop supporting him.

Philly fans got what they wanted.

They just devalued the hell out of their asset before they did it.

And that is fine, let’s call Simmons the chicken. Well, the egg that chicken hatched from was 6er fans saying they were done with him.

Right or wrong, it is unfair to say Simmons quit on them first. Because that isn’t how it played out.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is fine, let’s call Simmons the chicken. Well, the egg that chicken hatched from was 6er fans saying they were done with him.

Right or wrong, it is unfair to say Simmons quit on them first. Because that isn’t how it played out.
They don't seem surprised to me. This is who they knew he was. He didn't "quit" on them "first". He was soft and mentally weak first though. And Philly isn't the place for that...even though they were very supportive for years, the limit was reached. And sure they devalued the asset by not pretending. Seems like it's worth it to most of them.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't seem surprised to me. This is who they knew he was. He didn't "quit" on them "first". He was soft and mentally weak first though. And Philly isn't the place for that...even though they were very supportive for years, the limit was reached. And sure they devalued the asset by not pretending. Seems like it's worth it to most of them.

They definitely hurt his value. Doc and Joel should've kept their mouth shut

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why it’s so hard to respect a good poster with these takes. Did you just say that the fans of Philadelphia are responsible for tanking the value of Ben Simmons the asset? Philly fans are responsible for him not adding to his game? Philly fans are responsible for him having zero role in the half court come playoff time? Philly fans are responsible for him flaking out and quitting on his team at LSU? Philly fans are responsible for his Eff U stubbornness in refusing to take outside shots when his coach was on record as saying he wants at least one 3 pt attempt a game from him? Ben Simmons tanked his value with his actions and his refusal to add to his game. Did you have this same energy in saying that Ben Simmons got Brett Brown fired? Brown bent over backwards for him and chose Simmons over Jimmy Butler. Brown defended Simmons repeatedly in the press. Part of why Brown was fired was because of Simmons inability to add to his game. Why didn’t you hold Simmons accountable for that? Or how about Seth Curry and Andre Drummond? They were both in two great spots and because of Ben Simmons were ripped off of a contender and shipped out. Shit, how about what he does to Doc Rivers Seth and Seth’s wife and Doc’s daughter? That had to be very uncomfortable. And that’s Ben Simmons fault. At what point does Simmons have to take ownership here?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be noted as multiple people say the Sixers tanked the value of the Simmons asset that James Harden is exactly the type of player Sixers fans were told all summer that they would never land for Ben Simmons. People on this site were saying the Sixers should settle for players like Malcolm Brogdan and picks.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why it’s so hard to respect a good poster with these takes. Did you just say that the fans of Philadelphia are responsible for tanking the value of Ben Simmons the asset? Philly fans are responsible for him not adding to his game? Philly fans are responsible for him having zero role in the half court come playoff time? Philly fans are responsible for him flaking out and quitting on his team at LSU? Philly fans are responsible for his Eff U stubbornness in refusing to take outside shots when his coach was on record as saying he wants at least one 3 pt attempt a game from him? Ben Simmons tanked his value with his actions and his refusal to add to his game. Did you have this same energy in saying that Ben Simmons got Brett Brown fired? Brown bent over backwards for him and chose Simmons over Jimmy Butler. Brown defended Simmons repeatedly in the press. Part of why Brown was fired was because of Simmons inability to add to his game. Why didn’t you hold Simmons accountable for that? Or how about Seth Curry and Andre Drummond? They were both in two great spots and because of Ben Simmons were ripped off of a contender and shipped out. Shit, how about what he does to Doc Rivers Seth and Seth’s wife and Doc’s daughter? That had to be very uncomfortable. And that’s Ben Simmons fault. At what point does Simmons have to take ownership here?

Ben Simmons deserves blame for a lot. He will never live up to his potential and he has to live with that.

Philly also horribly screwed up the aftermath of that series.

Horribly.

Can’t control the fan reaction, but the organization 100% had to come out strong in support of their player. And they didn’t.

Had they done that, they surely could have traded him quietly over the summer without the drama.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be noted as multiple people say the Sixers tanked the value of the Simmons asset that James Harden is exactly the type of player Sixers fans were told all summer that they would never land for Ben Simmons. People on this site were saying the Sixers should settle for players like Malcolm Brogdan and picks.

James Harden is a bad contract now.

Last summer that wasn’t the case.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My take on Harden was that it would cost too much depth and that he was on the back side of his career. I dont see a Chris Paul kind of ending with Harden.

I thought the Kings offer was exceptional and it's arguable that next year Haliburton will already be a better player.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Harden is a bad contract now.

Last summer that wasn’t the case.
No it’s not. It’s a player option for next year when Tyrese Maxey is still cheap and as the number 2 attendance draw in the entire NBA the Sixers can afford to be a luxury tax team. There is no present commitment to Harden beyond 22-23. For Harden to get a max deal he will have to perform to that level next year. If he opts out now he would get something in the range of 4 years and $100 million because he hasn’t shown he’s a max player anymore. Harden isn’t a bad contract situation at all.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on Harden was that it would cost too much depth and that he was on the back side of his career. I dont see a Chris Paul kind of ending with Harden.

I thought the Kings offer was exceptional and it's arguable that next year Haliburton will already be a better player.
I also liked the Kings deal and have said as much. But at the same time, there’s been conflicting info on what that Kings deal was. If the Sixers had to take Bagley? Bad deal. If the Sixers had to take Hield and not Harrison Barnes? Bad deal.

And I would also add, Harden as a Sixer judgment won’t be completed until this time next year. Because of his hamstring he did little in the way of real basketball last summer. Let’s see what he does to add to his bag. If he adds a willingness to take the mid range jumper on a percentage of his drives, he makes his ability to turn the corner and his step back game better than what it is now. His impact on the Sixers half court offense can not be questioned. Maxey isn’t a true PG. Since the trade, the Embiid Harden pairing has one of the best net ratings in the NBA.

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also liked the Kings deal and have said as much. But at the same time, there’s been conflicting info on what that Kings deal was. If the Sixers had to take Bagley? Bad deal. If the Sixers had to take Hield and not Harrison Barnes? Bad deal.

And I would also add, Harden as a Sixer judgment won’t be completed until this time next year. Because of his hamstring he did little in the way of real basketball last summer. Let’s see what he does to add to his bag. If he adds a willingness to take the mid range jumper on a percentage of his drives, he makes his ability to turn the corner and his step back game better than what it is now. His impact on the Sixers half court offense can not be questioned. Maxey isn’t a true PG. Since the trade, the Embiid Harden pairing has one of the best net ratings in the NBA.

Those first 2 games of the Raptors series i was thinking they figured it out. Offense looked very crisp.

Still a chance they can come back and win this one. I don't love their chances against Boston or Milwaukee though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it’s not. It’s a player option for next year when Tyrese Maxey is still cheap and as the number 2 attendance draw in the entire NBA the Sixers can afford to be a luxury tax team. There is no present commitment to Harden beyond 22-23. For Harden to get a max deal he will have to perform to that level next year. If he opts out now he would get something in the range of 4 years and $100 million because he hasn’t shown he’s a max player anymore. Harden isn’t a bad contract situation at all.

In terms of valuing him as a trade asset?

Yes.

At the time of the Simmons trade he was a Bad contract.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those first 2 games of the Raptors series i was thinking they figured it out. Offense looked very crisp.

Still a chance they can come back and win this one. I don't love their chances against Boston or Milwaukee though.
I agree on Celts/Bucks. I do think they have a better than 50/50 shot of advancing past Miami though. I don’t think Embiid will be 100% but even at 100% those matchups aren’t great. Sixers got their guy in Harden and shed Simmons. Morey needs to do his work rounding out the roster this off season.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully if Kyrie could put away his bullshit for a year he's just about the best player in the league to be paired with Ben. He used to playing off the ball with all those years with Lebron.

But then that also requires Ben to pull shit together.

Pure talent...Brooklyn is clearly the best team.