• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Simmons formally demands trade

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Everyone understands what happened in game 7 and that overall, he had a bad series.

But you seem to forget both Embiid and Doc's comments after game 7, the Sixers not coming to his defense and having Doc walk back what he said, Morey turning down solid offers and now insisting on getting a "difference maker" for what is essentially damaged goods.

No one is excusing Simmons behavior, we're just also pointing out that the Sixers have handled this poorly and that's the reason it has gotten this far.
I still do not understand how they handled it poorly. This is a guy making north of $ 30M a year. They have repeatedly asked him to work on his game, and he doesn't. Is there no accountability in this country anymore. Maybe the NBA should give every player on every team Participation Trophies.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still do not understand how they handled it poorly. This is a guy making north of $ 30M a year. They have repeatedly asked him to work on his game, and he doesn't. Is there no accountability in this country anymore. Maybe the NBA should give every player on every team Participation Trophies.
Then you should be happy to get rid of him.

Can’t have it both ways

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we’re going the benefit of hindsight, the real big miss was not dealing Simmons in the summer of 2019.

It's not really hindsight though. It became obvious fairly early that Simmons and Embiid weren't a great fit. It also became obvious fairly early that Simmons game wasn't improving. A year ago, when they could have traded him for the "difference maker" Morey wants...everyone was saying he should be traded. Then, over the summer, when they still could get a solid return for him, pretty much everyone was saying to move him.

Seems the only hindsight being used is by the Sixers, most of the rest of the basketball world has been saying for awhile that they needed to move him because his value was going to continue to drop.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have repeatedly asked him to work on his game, and he doesn't. Is there no accountability in this country anymore.

This sentence from your post is part of how they handled it poorly. The Sixer never held him accountable. I can remember Shaq, one of the all time greatest players in league history being pulled late in games because he couldn't shoot free throws. I don't remember that happening to Simmons.

Most teams give their players a list of things to work in the offseason...assuming the Sixers did that...what was their response when he would show up to training camp with no improvement?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad is upset at every missed free throw he sees in the NBA, and I always thought his attachment was overblown. Simmons has kind of proven him right. at 35% FT Simmons is almost unplayable, and 65% FT he is a borderline All NBA, and absolute AllStar, at 85% FT he would be one of the true elite players in the league. It seems like such a small thing to have such a massive impact on a player.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad is upset at every missed free throw he sees in the NBA, and I always thought his attachment was overblown. Simmons has kind of proven him right. at 35% FT Simmons is almost unplayable, and 65% FT he is a borderline All NBA, and absolute AllStar, at 85% FT he would be one of the true elite players in the league. It seems like such a small thing to have such a massive impact on a player.

Not being able to hit 65 percent is inexcusable imo. Unless you have like Shaq sized hands but even then you need to figure it out. It's all repetition.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sentence from your post is part of how they handled it poorly. The Sixer never held him accountable. I can remember Shaq, one of the all time greatest players in league history being pulled late in games because he couldn't shoot free throws. I don't remember that happening to Simmons.

Most teams give their players a list of things to work in the offseason...assuming the Sixers did that...what was their response when he would show up to training camp with no improvement?
They covered for him. It was as if he could not improve, that was the spin. He is a grown man, if he wanted to be great, he would have done what other great players did, they practice what they need to improve.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They covered for him. It was as if he could not improve, that was the spin. He is a grown man, if he wanted to be great, he would have done what other great players did, they practice what they need to improve.

Exactly. I don't think anyone is holding Ben blameless. As you point out, great players are always working on their game, that's a big part of what makes them great. Anyone with eyes, knows Ben hasn't improved his game. Which is sad because with how great he is at the rest of his game, if he could just be competent at the free throw line and from outside...he could be an all-time level player, imo.

Folks are just pointing out that plenty of the blame for this falls on the Sixers as well.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I don't think anyone is holding Ben blameless. As you point out, great players are always working on their game, that's a big part of what makes them great. Anyone with eyes, knows Ben hasn't improved his game. Which is sad because with how great he is at the rest of his game, if he could just be competent at the free throw line and from outside...he could be an all-time level player, imo.

Folks are just pointing out that plenty of the blame for this falls on the Sixers as well.
I’m on board with shared blame. I think most are. The debate comes in laying out what percentage parties have for the blame. Is it mostly Simmons? Is it mostly the Sixers? Is it split down the middle? We’ve both coached before. I teach. Where I am on this stuff is two fold. You can lead the horse to water but you can’t make it drink. At the same time, the measure of greatness in a coach or teacher is the ability to get as many horses to drink the water as you can. The GOATs in that realm can attain exceptional buy in.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m on board with shared blame. I think most are. The debate comes in laying out what percentage parties have for the blame. Is it mostly Simmons? Is it mostly the Sixers? Is it split down the middle? We’ve both coached before. I teach. Where I am on this stuff is two fold. You can lead the horse to water but you can’t make it drink. At the same time, the measure of greatness in a coach or teacher is the ability to get as many horses to drink the water as you can. The GOATs in that realm can attain exceptional buy in.

Doc is usually very good at the buy-in

But he has handled this situation horribly

Morey made it worse with his lies and complete lack of good faith

Simmons pulling a harden is obviously also problematic

And embiid keeps pouring kerosene and gasoline on the fire

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc is usually very good at the buy-in

But he has handled this situation horribly

Morey made it worse with his lies and complete lack of good faith

Simmons pulling a harden is obviously also problematic

And embiid keeps pouring kerosene and gasoline on the fire

We can say that Doc or Morey or Embiid or Tobias could have done X or Y or Z but ultimately this is all about Simmons being accountable to himself.

Do you think that Michael Jordan would tolerate any of this crap? Or Lebron?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can say that Doc or Morey or Embiid or Tobias could have done X or Y or Z but ultimately this is all about Simmons being accountable to himself.

No. They’d be traded….which is what they should’ve done

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah sixers fans had a lot of fun making fun of Boston for the kyrie bullshit.

They deserve this

I made fun of Kyrie the entire time he was in Boston. Was disappointed when they signed him and happy when he left. But that doesn't change the fact the 76ers organization completely fucked up this Simmons fiasco. They should have gotten rid him a while ago. Wonder what his trade value is?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made fun of Kyrie the entire time he was in Boston. Was disappointed when they signed him and happy when he left. But that doesn't change the fact the 76ers organization completely fucked up this Simmons fiasco. They should have gotten rid him a while ago. Wonder what his trade value is?

Barnes
Hield
Mitchell

For Simmons and something else for cap filler

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If thybulle dunks it like he should’ve.

The sixers still lose

Are we still having this convo

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thybulle dunks it like he should’ve.

The sixers still lose

Are we still having this convo
Wait…Thybulle is the guy who should have dunked this? He goes to the rack and gets bodied on the way up. Not sure how you hold the opinion that him finishing this was anything close to a certainty. When Simmons gets base line here he is 6’10” vs 6 ft Young. Weird hot take that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.