• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Simmons formally demands trade

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops. Didn't know that was your post....

You're just messing with us right? You don't actually support this dude...

I support anyone tanking Philly’s season.

They just don’t normally play for Philly….

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just do the mccollum deal and move on.

Stop the circus

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what do they gain by putting him on ice for a year?

Absolutely nothing.

And Simmons trade value isn’t increasing with him sitting either.

Well it all boils down to what they can get for him. Right now they aren't going to get shit for him. Maybe in January it will be more. Maybe not.

But ultimately are they likely to get less value for him next year than right now? Seems unlikely. Although there is a possibility that he simply stops caring about basketball which changes everything.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just do the mccollum deal and move on.

Stop the circus

Personally I would love to see the Sacto deal. I've said this before but I think that deal has the best chance of improving both teams significantly.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that is just it.

I don’t think his trade value is anywhere close to a lowpoint currently.
How low does it get for a 3 time All Star and Rookie of the Year? There’s the rub. What’s more likely is a scenario where 9-11 teams picked up the phone this summer and expressed interest. I can see this scenario though. It may be 2-3 who are still in on the skill set and the idea that this will spark the development. But those teams are still gonna have to come with something that moves Morey to get it done.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How low does it get for a 3 time All Star and Rookie of the Year? There’s the rub. What’s more likely is a scenario where 9-11 teams picked up the phone this summer and expressed interest. I can see this scenario though. It may be 2-3 who are still in on the skill set and the idea that this will spark the development. But those teams are still gonna have to come with something that moves Morey to get it done.

IMO, the longer this plays out with Simmons either not playing, or worse, playing poorly with little effort, the lower his trade value will sink.

Let’s just say hypothetically this plays out for 2 years.

At that point, Simmons could even be a bad contract and they might have to attach assets to move him.

I get not settling for a mediocre return. I even advocated for that a few months ago.

But that was before the situation got so toxic.

The 6ers have further ruined their relationship with the player, and I would be shocked if he ever really rejoins and reinvests with the team at this point.

So if Morey’s only acceptable option is to wait for a deal for a difference maker to become available, that is an option that probably never presents itself.

The days where getting even 80 cents on the dollar in return value are long passed.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the longer this plays out with Simmons either not playing, or worse, playing poorly with little effort, the lower his trade value will sink.

Let’s just say hypothetically this plays out for 2 years.

At that point, Simmons could even be a bad contract and they might have to attach assets to move him.

I get not settling for a mediocre return. I even advocated for that a few months ago.

But that was before the situation got so toxic.

The 6ers have further ruined their relationship with the player, and I would be shocked if he ever really rejoins and reinvests with the team at this point.

So if Morey’s only acceptable option is to wait for a deal for a difference maker to become available, that is an option that probably never presents itself.

The days where getting even 80 cents on the dollar in return value are long passed.
I think it gets done before Christmas. I think somebody is gonna pucker with a bad start to the season and want to shake it up. GM jobs don’t have a long shelf life and those guys are under immense pressure. Time will tell.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it gets done before Christmas. I think somebody is gonna pucker with a bad start to the season and want to shake it up. GM jobs don’t have a long shelf life and those guys are under immense pressure. Time will tell.

Maybe.

But that is your best chance, IMO.

Take the Kawhi Leonard to Toronto trade as an example.

As talented as Kawhi was, nobody was giving close to full value because of the uncertainty around his health and his mental state. And Kawhi was a lot better then than Simmons is now.

I think Simmons is in the same exact boat minus the health issues. Acquiring teams have to question his investment at this time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.

As talented as Kawhi was, nobody was giving close to full value because of the uncertainty around his health and his mental state. And Kawhi was a lot better then than Simmons is now.

I think Simmons is in the same exact boat minus the health issues. Acquiring teams have to question his investment at this time.

The big difference between Kawhi and Simmons' situation is that Kawhi only had a year left on his contract. And he wasn't willing to commit to any team long term.

But generally speaking it is almost certain that the Sixers are going to get a pretty huge hair cut in his deal. They were never going to get full value for him but Simmons' antics have assured the Sixers that they will need to accept a pretty steep discount.

What that ultimately means remains to be seen.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.

Part of the difference is also 1 year vs 4 years left on the contract.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would love to see the Sacto deal. I've said this before but I think that deal has the best chance of improving both teams significantly.

I agree that’s a good deal.

Mitchell also works

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big difference between Kawhi and Simmons' situation is that Kawhi only had a year left on his contract. And he wasn't willing to commit to any team long term.

But generally speaking it is almost certain that the Sixers are going to get a pretty huge hair cut in his deal. They were never going to get full value for him but Simmons' antics have assured the Sixers that they will need to accept a pretty steep discount.

What that ultimately means remains to be seen.

Getting harden for him last year would’ve.

That’s probably the big miss.

But I also understood it

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of you that think the 6ers screwed this up seem to forget game 7 against the Hawks. He was terrible for most of the series. The fans have never done anything but support Ben S.
Simmons never got better. He did not get better at 3's, at FT, or even develop a jumper. I saw him play at LSU and he always seemed bored or not caring about the game. Amazing talent, but needs a heart.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting harden for him last year would’ve.

That’s probably the big miss.

But I also understood it
If we’re going the benefit of hindsight, the real big miss was not dealing Simmons in the summer of 2019. They keep Jimmy Butler and re-sign him to play with Embiid. They re-sign Harris and they ship Simmons for picks or players or both. Simmons value was much higher at that time. From what I read, the Sixers chances at Harden were non-existent. The Rockets front office still holds a grudge with Morey and therefore the report was that they were never going to send Harden to the Sixers and make Morey look like a hero.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we’re going the benefit of hindsight, the real big miss was not dealing Simmons in the summer of 2019. They keep Jimmy Butler and re-sign him to play with Embiid. They re-sign Harris and they ship Simmons for picks or players or both. Simmons value was much higher at that time. From what I read, the Sixers chances at Harden were non-existent. The Rockets front office still holds a grudge with Morey and therefore the report was that they were never going to send Harden to the Sixers and make Morey look like a hero.

Simmons for Kawhi would’ve been wild

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No question, that was a critical moment in the history of the franchise and they royally fucked it up.

I am puzzled by why some people think this situation hurts the reputation of the franchise. Why? Do any other players seem upset? I think it seems pretty well understood around the league by players that Ben Simmons is a bitch and in the wrong here. Has ANYONE expressed support for him at this point?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question, that was a critical moment in the history of the franchise and they royally fucked it up.

I am puzzled by why some people think this situation hurts the reputation of the franchise. Why? Do any other players seem upset? I think it seems pretty well understood around the league by players that Ben Simmons is a bitch and in the wrong here. Has ANYONE expressed support for him at this point?
Again, I blame Adam Silver for interfering with the Sixers. It’s why they inherited old man Colangelo, who used nepotism to hire his incompetent kid who then brought us burner gate and the ill suited Brett Brown to be defacto GM. It was a mess that didn’t need to be.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of you that think the 6ers screwed this up seem to forget game 7 against the Hawks. He was terrible for most of the series. The fans have never done anything but support Ben S.
Simmons never got better. He did not get better at 3's, at FT, or even develop a jumper. I saw him play at LSU and he always seemed bored or not caring about the game. Amazing talent, but needs a heart.

Not really. Everyone understands what happened in game 7 and that overall, he had a bad series.

But you seem to forget both Embiid and Doc's comments after game 7, the Sixers not coming to his defense and having Doc walk back what he said, Morey turning down solid offers and now insisting on getting a "difference maker" for what is essentially damaged goods.

No one is excusing Simmons behavior, we're just also pointing out that the Sixers have handled this poorly and that's the reason it has gotten this far.