• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beltran would consider coming back if the Giants improve the offense

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not this good, look at their numbers before they got here. Relievers are as chaotic as they come. If you can get two that had a history of sucking ass to throw up 2 good seasons in a row, you cash in. Doesn't really matter though, they'll both decline arb and get a decent pay day. Our pen is about to get hit like the Rays did last year, because what they'll earn in arb > actual value.

LoMos' fielding percentage in LF is .978, which is around average for the position. Plus, it was his position in college and high school.

Only problem is, he ripped Sabean really badly after his Scott Cousins comments. Dunno if Sabes will be willing to suck up his pride and get the deal done.

I'd pass on LoMo; he's below average defensively and LF isn't a position of need.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I live in NY I have seen Beltran quite a bit before the trade. He struggled when he arrived here but the man can rake. His career stats confirm that. As SFAnthem stated how was he supposed to save this team when everything around him didn't produce either. When he arrived we hit a stretch of games where we had problems getting more than 4 hits in a game. Even if he goes 3-4 (without a HR) in those games it's questionable if we score. Reyes on the other hand always seems to be injuried at some point in any season, but he represents exactly what we need (when healthy). He addresses our two biggest flaws. A SS and a lead-off man.

Crisp also addresses two of our biggest needs, and will cost a fraction of what Reyes will.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way does the team acquire both Beltran and Reyes. I'm not 100% that the Giants will make any real effort to sign a big bat...period. I can see management thinking that with Posey back...Sandoval hitting...Sanchez back...Belt developing....and Huff bouncing back the offense will be good enough with our pitching.

Unfortunately, I can see this case being made...

+1. They will try to upgrade CF and maybe SS with cheaper pieces (Crisp, etc) and hope for rebounds/health from Huff, Franchez, and Posey, and Belt turning into something.

:tsk:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crisp also addresses two of our biggest needs, and will cost a fraction of what Reyes will.

+1. This is definitely the way management will go. As fans of course we want it all, but we're big boys here and we know what they will do.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way does the team acquire both Beltran and Reyes. I'm not 100% that the Giants will make any real effort to sign a big bat...period. I can see management thinking that with Posey back...Sandoval hitting...Sanchez back...Belt developing....and Huff bouncing back the offense will be good enough with our pitching.

That's what they said about our offense this year with Pablo coming back, "he's our big free agent acquisition". That went well :L

I know Posey and Franchez going down hurt a lot, but then you have to think what's stopping injuries from putting us in the same exact position again next year?

I hope they don't take that approach, but unfortunately but I agree, they probably will. Beltran doesn't think that'll be enough either.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what they said about our offense this year with Pablo coming back, "he's our big free agent acquisition". That went well :L

I know Posey and Franchez going down hurt a lot, but then you have to think what's stopping injuries from putting us in the same exact position again next year?
I hope they don't take that approach, but unfortunately but I agree, they probably will. Beltran doesn't think that'll be enough either.

The answer is we had a historically unprecedented run of injuries this year, not just the usual couple every team gets. And not just in sheer number of players getting hurt (which was ridiculously high), it was ALL of the best hitters, and many for major lengths of time or season ending. So you kind of have to assume we go back to normal injuries next year, or the baseball gods really do hate us.

Beltran might be right, but I've got little love for the guy. He seems to rake only when unpressured. Only his postseason run with the Astros that 1 year says otherwise, 7 long years ago. And they didn't even get to the WS with him.
Meanwhile, he's was a big part of that epic Mets collapse from I think it was 2008, and he was here for our epic collapse. Coincidence? Maybe....maybe not.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im just not thrilled about Crisp. His range isn't the same and he has a noodle of an arm. And he still only has a .326 OBP, not gonna cut it for a leadoff hitter. If Torres hit's a little better, he would already be a comparable player to Crisp and he's a much better defender.

I'm just having a hard time getting to excited about Coco.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did I read Beltran's comments correctly? He said the Giants need a lead-off man more than they do him. I agree.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im just not thrilled about Crisp. His range isn't the same and he has a noodle of an arm. And he still only has a .326 OBP, not gonna cut it for a leadoff hitter. If Torres hit's a little better, he would already be a comparable player to Crisp and he's a much better defender.

I'm just having a hard time getting to excited about Coco.

Same here.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Meanwhile....Zack Wheeler raised his SO/BB ratio from the 2's with the Giants to over 6 with the Mets. Cut way down on his walk rate.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Injuries can happen...we could go out and land Pujols and Reyes and they both can go down with injuries. Try to make the lineup as good and deep as you can...the season will tell what happens.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile....Zack Wheeler raised his SO/BB ratio from the 2's with the Giants to over 6 with the Mets. Cut way down on his walk rate.

I agree that it adds extra pain to see Wheeler develop into a stud.

However, I still "like" the trade, given the info at the time. We may have over paid, but that was the price of doing business.

20/20 hindsight is only good for kicking one's own butt.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, I still "like" the trade, given the info at the time. We may have over paid, but that was the price of doing business.

Repped for this pithy quote.

Also, I agree the trade was the right move regardless of how Wheeler does, only 'wrong' in hindsight.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB
2011 31 133 125 11 40 5 4 5 14 1 0 8 20 .320 .361 .544 .905 152 68

These are Beltran's stats since joining us. They are solid but they weren't clutch. At this point Beltran is a proven commodity. Wheeler is/has a lot of potential. But it is nothing more than potential at the moment. I seem to remember pitchers called Ainsworth, Foppert and Williams. These were also top prospects that had tons of potential. Sometimes things just don't go the way you plan. I'd still make that trade. We got a very good bat and gave up a lot of potential. Wheeler is still not a lock. I don't believe he's another Timmy in the making. For our sake I hope he's not!

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said, cal

i hope fans will remeber that 3 years down the road.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, cal

i hope fans will remeber that 3 years down the road.

I will whine, moan, and bitch with the best of them once Wheeler wins a CY while the Giants are going through pitcher injuries.

That is my JOB as a fan.

Even the AJ trade was not a bad trade at the time. It is only through the 20/20 hindsight glasses that it turns into a horrible deal for the Giants.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will whine, moan, and bitch with the best of them once Wheeler wins a CY while the Giants are going through pitcher injuries.

That is my JOB as a fan.

Even the AJ trade was not a bad trade at the time. It is only through the 20/20 hindsight glasses that it turns into a horrible deal for the Giants.

Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight is more like 50/50.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the most likely scenerio I believe (unfortunately), along with some minor tinkering to the bench and perhaps CF.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
+1. They will try to upgrade CF and maybe SS with cheaper pieces (Crisp, etc) and hope for rebounds/health from Huff, Franchez, and Posey, and Belt turning into something.

:tsk:

I'm praying to God Sabean doesn't make a trade for Stubbs, Upton, Span or some other high upside, yet still not producing like they should guys.