• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Belichick

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I will be miffed if he doesn't get a one-game suspension

As will I.

I was talking to my college roommate earlier today. He's a Cowboys fan, but has lived in the Boston area on and off for about 10 of the last 14 years. He didn't think this was a very big deal. I totally disagree. It's a huge deal. The officials are a disaster, but as soon as the league says it's ok to grab them, you have to worry about what other coaches - and worse, players - will do. How can you tell the coaches to take it easy on these guys verbally, but not do anything substantive - cause we all know how much Belichick is worried about a fine - when someone crosses the line into physical contact? How can you let a coach grab one and expect players not to? It would be a ridiculous double standard.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs should of given him an explanation. He deserved the right to find out if it was reviewable. He obviously shouldn't grab an official, but it's an intense game and obviously a big play.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The refs should of given him an explanation. He deserved the right to find out if it was reviewable. He obviously shouldn't grab an official, but it's an intense game and obviously a big play.

I agree they should have explained it to him. That said, I don't necessarily buy his excuse. The kick went up, the officials ruled it was good. Game over. The booth reviews are not handled by the new officials, so there is less excuse to be freaking out.

And as said, you just can't lay your hands on an official. Ever.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree they should have explained it to him. That said, I don't necessarily buy his excuse. The kick went up, the officials ruled it was good. Game over. The booth reviews are not handled by the new officials, so there is less excuse to be freaking out.

Also, just in case anyone forgot, Beli couldn't have challenged. Review would have to come from the booth.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Still, the refs should have been available to relay to him that possibility.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Still, the refs should have been available to relay to him that possibility.

I can appreciate giving someone the benefit of the doubt, but he knows the rules. He is a HC with a LOT of experience. I bet he knows the rules better than most of the temps.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As will I.

I was talking to my college roommate earlier today. He's a Cowboys fan, but has lived in the Boston area on and off for about 10 of the last 14 years. He didn't think this was a very big deal. I totally disagree. It's a huge deal. The officials are a disaster, but as soon as the league says it's ok to grab them, you have to worry about what other coaches - and worse, players - will do. How can you tell the coaches to take it easy on these guys verbally, but not do anything substantive - cause we all know how much Belichick is worried about a fine - when someone crosses the line into physical contact? How can you let a coach grab one and expect players not to? It would be a ridiculous double standard.

Yeah, I think your college buddy is looking at this through emotionally clouded lenses and with that perspective one might think it would have been no big deal had Belichick decked the official.

But viewed by the letter of the law - this is a serious infraction. IMO, if the rule for players is mandatory ejection which is tantamount to a suspension then the same or more should apply for HC's.

And, considering the two prior warnings already issued by the league - here is Goodell's opportunity to make a statement - all that remains is to see if he has the spine to follow through.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, I think your college buddy is looking at this through emotionally clouded lenses and with that perspective one might think it would have been no big deal had Belichick decked the official.

But viewed by the letter of the law - this is a serious infraction. IMO, if the rule for players is mandatory ejection which is tantamount to a suspension then the same or more should apply for HC's.

And, considering the two prior warnings already issued by the league - here is Goodell's opportunity to make a statement - all that remains is to see if he has the spine to follow through.

I may have understated my buddy's opinion a bit. He thinks there should definitely be a fine, but thought I was crazy to be pushing for a suspension.

I agree entirely with what you say here, though. I don't see how Goodell can maintain any respect with players and coaches if he doesn't take more action than simply a fine.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming most have seen or are aware of his antics, running after an official and grabbing him by the arm after the game.

I think, bare minimum, he should get a one-game suspension. If a player touches the official during the game, he's gone, even often when the guy doesn't realize he's touching an official (a la Justin Smith a couple years ago). For a coach to go grab an official after the game, especially in a week when coaches have been warned about going after officials is just ridiculous. A fine does nothing. Ban Bill from the games for a week or two and I'll be he doesn't repeat that sort of thing.

The replacement officials have been a disaster, but you simply can't have people touching them in a manner that is even slightly aggressive.

He deserves a suspension but he won't get one because the league realizes that they are the ones responsible for this fiasco.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have understated my buddy's opinion a bit. He thinks there should definitely be a fine, but thought I was crazy to be pushing for a suspension.

I agree entirely with what you say here, though. I don't see how Goodell can maintain any respect with players and coaches if he doesn't take more action than simply a fine.

Agreed! I think Goodell's credibility take's a(nother) serious shot if he does less than a one-game suspension.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The ref should have given him a punch in the mouth.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is forced to apologize after they do something stupid. Hardly anymore really means it.