• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears new TE Jimmy Graham

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham was seldom open and when he was open he'd drop too many passes.

Link?

He caught 38 of 60 targets. That's a 63% target to catch share. With 11.8 Y/R. Which is very good for a TE (Kelce had 12.7).

Numbers demonstrate that when he was thrown to? He did quite a good job.

His name does not appear on any drop leader lists that I can find. Adams and Allison had more for the Packers with 3. NFL leader was Edelman with 9. He had two or less.

I don't think you can corroborate anything you've said here.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched him in Seattle and he dropped passes regularly. I was shocked GB signed him because his play was sub-par. I am not thrilled the Bears signed him but it comes as no surprise.

He only had one season with the drops in Seattle. He was a pro bowler each of his last two seasons in Seattle. He caught 10 TD's his last year (2017) in Seattle which led all TE's. In 2016 he was 3rd in receiving among TE's behind only Olsen and Kelce.

Definitely not sub-par.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really looking to argue. I'd rather have Ebron. Particularly when you add in Graham's contract.

You don't need to respond. I don't care.

That's cool. You asked why I thought that about Ebron. I wasn't looking for a debate. I was only giving the opinion I was pressed on.

:suds:

I would rather have Jimmy at 2/16 and you would rather Ebron at 2/12. Not saying your opinion is dumb or anything. Clearly, many others would agree. I just think people over value Ebron tremendously because of one fluke half season. Possibly, also that Graham is undervalued.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With an addition to our o-line in the draft, adequate play from Foles, we wont be worrying about Jimmy G.........

He averaged 4 targets and 28 yds per game last season........

Thats abysmal!!!!

We signed him to use him.........

Im thinking a 600 yd reciever with 7 tds for him this season.......Ill take that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With an addition to our o-line in the draft, adequate play from Foles, we wont be worrying about Jimmy G.........

He averaged 4 targets and 28 yds per game last season........

Thats abysmal!!!!

We signed him to use him.........

Im thinking a 600 yd reciever with 7 tds for him this season.......Ill take that.

If he has that and Burton has 400 yards with 3 TD's. Suddenly, you have 1,000 yards and 10 TD's out of your TE group.

That's why I'm fine with the signing. We don't need him to be Jimmy Graham of 2013. We just need him to be the best version of what he is now.

There's always bias in sports against old players who used to be superstars and fell off a bit. All people see when they look at them is "Well, that guy used to be a stud. Then he got old." Yeah, but the old version of that guy is still superior to most options and brings solid value to a team.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has that and Burton has 400 yards with 3 TD's. Suddenly, you have 1,000 yards and 10 TD's out of your TE group.

That's why I'm fine with the signing. We don't need him to be Jimmy Graham of 2013. We just need him to be the best version of what he is now.

There's always bias in sports against old players who used to be superstars and fell off a bit. All people see when they look at them is "Well, that guy used to be a stud. Then he got old." Yeah, but the old version of that guy is still superior to most options and brings solid value to a team.

Hopefully Burton stays healthy enough to get that.....hes kinda worrisome........,wtf happened to him..........its like he just fell off the map.

But anyways,i really believe the te position is not of worry as it once was...........

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Burton stays healthy enough to get that.....hes kinda worrisome........,wtf happened to him..........its like he just fell off the map.

But anyways,i really believe the te position is not of worry as it once was...........

Sports hernia surgery last off-season and he says his groin just wouldn't heal properly. A lot of people speculate that he's just soft. I'm willing to give him a shot to have a comeback sort of season. He was good in 2018 before the injury.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another angle being forgotten is that signing Graham will net us a compensatory draft pick. I was just reminded of that while doing some reading on the Bears off-season.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another angle being forgotten is that signing Graham will net us a compensatory draft pick. I was just reminded of that while doing some reading on the Bears off-season.

??

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just as we got a 4th round compensatory pick for Amos this past year. Those players will all net us compensatory picks when they depart. Foles and Graham could be as soon as next season.

There was an in-depth article about it days ago talking about that being a part of GM's strategies. I just searched for 10 minutes after Wood's reply but I can't find it.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as we got a 4th round compensatory pick for Amos this past year. Those players will all net us compensatory picks when they depart. Foles and Graham could be as soon as next season.

There was an in-depth article about it days ago talking about that being a part of GM's strategies. I just searched for 10 minutes after Wood's reply but I can't find it.
Oh, i gotcha. For some reason i was thinking you were saying that we'd get a pick for signing them. You mean once they leave and/or are cut. Yea, nice. It depends on what they sign for though. If Foles leaves after next year and signs another mega deal then yes, we'd get a good pick. If Graham flames out and someone signs him for the vet min then we'll get barely anything, right?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, i gotcha. For some reason i was thinking you were saying that we'd get a pick for signing them. You mean once they leave and/or are cut. Yea, nice. It depends on what they sign for though. If Foles leaves after next year and signs another mega deal then yes, we'd get a good pick. If Graham flames out and someone signs him for the vet min then we'll get barely anything, right?

Playing time, salary, post-season honors, whether or not you sign back a player to fill the void equal to the players value are mainly the things that impact compensatory picks. However, if both totally flame out, you would be right. That being said - even quality backup or journeymen QB's get expensive contracts relative to the rest of the league. It's hard to envision that Foles won't compensate us nicely.

I wish I could find the F'N article! Gaaaahhh!!! lol

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is soft and has always been overrated ever since Drew Brees forced him the ball.

Foles can get the ball to any TE so may as well have spent the money elsewhere.

Robinson is worth forcing the ball to more than Graham.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing time, salary, post-season honors, whether or not you sign back a player to fill the void equal to the players value are mainly the things that impact compensatory picks. However, if both totally flame out, you would be right. That being said - even quality backup or journeymen QB's get expensive contracts relative to the rest of the league. It's hard to envision that Foles won't compensate us nicely.

I wish I could find the F'N article! Gaaaahhh!!! lol

This has a lot of info.

Projecting The 2020 Compensatory Picks | Over the Cap

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we got a draft pick back for Foles, that would be fantastic. We need them after this year bad.

Gonna riff a little more, buckle up:

Pace is in full blown self-preservation mode at the moment. If you're one that believes in him as a good GM to lead us into the future, 2020 MUST pan out. Everything we are doing is the here and now to buy Pace ANOTHER shot at a real franchise QB. It's obvious (to me) he can build a team around QB, but the QB failures are going to doom him.

That's why it's almost mind-blowing to me that anyone actually believes Trubisky is under center in week 1. He's not good. He HAS to go at least for this season probably forever. If you like the direction Pace is taking the Bears, you would be best not to be under delusion. Trubisky has more than proven he is capable of losing all these mother f*ckers their jobs and have this thing blown up.

Foles was not a proactive move...It was a reactive "we need to plug the hole in this sinking ship" move.

This competition talk is all bullsh*t.

F*ck no to Trubisky in 2020. Yes, his being good/improved IS the absolute best option for our team going forward. But he's not a better QB than Foles. So NOT playing the better QB on the roster is lunacy imo.

Foles is going to save Pace/Nagy their jobs so long as our defense maintains. There's another playoff spot so we SHOULD be dancing next January (assuming there's a season). Do I think we can win it all? I wouldn't bet on us. But we will be in the mix and we won't be f*cking pathetic out there on offense.

Really, with Foles, there's no reason we can't win the North this upcoming season other than Rodgers just going off.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is soft and has always been overrated ever since Drew Brees forced him the ball.

Foles can get the ball to any TE so may as well have spent the money elsewhere.

Robinson is worth forcing the ball to more than Graham.

Hard to say a guy was ever forced the ball unnecessarily when his catch% and yards per reception/target were incredibly high in NO. He was quite prolific.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we got a draft pick back for Foles, that would be fantastic. We need them after this year bad.

Gonna riff a little more, buckle up:

Pace is in full blown self-preservation mode at the moment. If you're one that believes in him as a good GM to lead us into the future, 2020 MUST pan out. Everything we are doing is the here and now to buy Pace ANOTHER shot at a real franchise QB. It's obvious (to me) he can build a team around QB, but the QB failures are going to doom him.

That's why it's almost mind-blowing to me that anyone actually believes Trubisky is under center in week 1. He's not good. He HAS to go at least for this season probably forever. If you like the direction Pace is taking the Bears, you would be best not to be under delusion. Trubisky has more than proven he is capable of losing all these mother f*ckers their jobs and have this thing blown up.

Foles was not a proactive move...It was a reactive "we need to plug the hole in this sinking ship" move.

This competition talk is all bullsh*t.

F*ck no to Trubisky in 2020. Yes, his being good/improved IS the absolute best option for our team going forward. But he's not a better QB than Foles. So NOT playing the better QB on the roster is lunacy imo.

Foles is going to save Pace/Nagy their jobs so long as our defense maintains. There's another playoff spot so we SHOULD be dancing next January (assuming there's a season). Do I think we can win it all? I wouldn't bet on us. But we will be in the mix and we won't be f*cking pathetic out there on offense.

Really, with Foles, there's no reason we can't win the North this upcoming season other than Rodgers just going off.

I think you have disappointment in your future. It's hard to envision Mitch not getting a shot in a camp competition, IMO. He's still the guy they bet it all on, you can bet your ass they still want him to succeed and they're going to give him one last shot.

Trading Mitch would cost us 5 mil in dead cap. So, I think you can rule that out. I struggle MIGHTILY to envision a world where he just goes into camp as the consensus backup.

Bridgewater did not sign here largely because the Bears would not guarantee him the starting job. Why would they do any different with Foles?

Foles has spent as much time as a backup as he has as a starter in the NFL. He's far from a "must-start" QB after what happened in Jacksonville. Even if I don't think it was his fault - it was ugly.

I'm not inside of the Bears FO but this is what common sense dictates.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have disappointment in your future. It's hard to envision Mitch not getting a shot in a camp competition, IMO. He's still the guy they bet it all on, you can bet your ass they still want him to succeed and they're going to give him one last shot.

Trading Mitch would cost us 5 mil in dead cap. So, I think you can rule that out. I struggle MIGHTILY to envision a world where he just goes into camp as the consensus backup.

Bridgewater did not sign here largely because the Bears would not guarantee him the starting job. Why would they do any different with Foles?

Foles has spent as much time as a backup as he has as a starter in the NFL. He's far from a "must-start" QB after what happened in Jacksonville. Even if I don't think it was his fault - it was ugly.

I'm not inside of the Bears FO but this is what common sense dictates.

If you're right, I hope the early part of our schedule has some fairly average to below average defenses then...because if not Trubisky will bury us. A single game swing can be everything in the playoff race. Best out will be that he does his do and we survive it and they get their heads out of their asses and put Foles in before it's too late. Like, we win a few games 13-10 or some sh*t and finally the plug is pulled with at least a 2-1 record while we scored 30-45 total points in the 3 first 3 games.

Seasons are short. Marginal teams don't have the luxury to f*ck around with the win count....or with preseason.

Foles has history with Nagy and the system. He'll come in fairly seamlessly and all he'll need is reps with our guys for timing etc. In your "camp competition" scenario, since Nagy/Pace are "quality people," my bet: Trubisky will get probably equal snaps with Foles first week or two in camp and it will drop like a rock from there. "We tried...Foles is the guy" by the end. It'll be pure acting/facade on their part from the get-go though unless Foles is just absolutely horrendous (Cliffs notes: He won't be...because he isn't). No doubt in my mind.