• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears LB Danny Trevathan's Hit on Packers WR Davante Adams (Video)

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he meant to hit him like that. But he lowered his crown and drilled it into the other player. That is the sort of hit that really needs to be outlawed.

Definitely unfortunate, but some of these hits in real speed, you can almost determine intention, its gotta be so hard sometimes to make sure you are being "technically" sound in how you tackle

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Romo was wrong in his "the player was already wrapped up". 64 for Green Bay was pushing the pile, whistle had not blown, Travathen had every right to get in there and stop the progression. Looks like Adams was swung into DT by the guy wrapping him up who was being pushed by 64, so it looks to me like 64 is partially responsible for spinning Adams into DT.

Always somebody else's fault, isn't it?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely unfortunate, but some of these hits in real speed, you can almost determine intention, its gotta be so hard sometimes to make sure you are being "technically" sound in how you tackle

I'm sure it is. But if the league really wants to eliminate those types of hits, it can. It may change how the game is played but, IMO, that is unavoidable.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always somebody else's fault, isn't it?
Don't believe it should be a fine. Want to talk about the ferocity of the hit, 64 of Green bay literally pushes Adams into DT by almost a full 2 yards increasing the ferocity. How about this rule, player is wrapped up, his team mates aren't allowed to push the player from behind.

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it is. But if the league really wants to eliminate those types of hits, it can. It may change how the game is played but, IMO, that is unavoidable.
I don't believe you can, not at the pace this game is played. Players will flinch on hits, they will react by avoiding face to helmet by lowering thier own helmets, unless you start telling me RB's aren't allowed to lead with a helmet either. I know, make everyone run backwards.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe you can, not at the pace this game is played. Players will flinch on hits, they will react by avoiding face to helmet by lowering thier own helmets, unless you start telling me RB's aren't allowed to lead with a helmet either. I know, make everyone run backwards.

Of course you can. You are arguing that the game can't change which obviously it can.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you can. You are arguing that the game can't change which obviously it can.
Oh, I agree, I told you what could be done to fix it, take all helmets off, play it rugby style.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty much the definition of targeting right there. I do feel bad for defensive guys because a lot of fouls against them now are ticky tack, but that wasn't cool. Fine to get in on a hit but he looked like he aimed for the head.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe it should be a fine. Want to talk about the ferocity of the hit, 64 of Green bay literally pushes Adams into DT by almost a full 2 yards increasing the ferocity. How about this rule, player is wrapped up, his team mates aren't allowed to push the player from behind.
Actually, that might not be a bad rule. As soon as the runner is stopped and his teammate engages to "push the pile", the whistle goes and forward progress is stopped there. Of course, then we wouldn't have some of those "Beast Mode" plays or the TD play by Dez the other night or a lot of other great plays so what do you do.
To use that as an excuse for the hit is wrong though. It was a careless and dumb play. Not saying intent to injure but careless with the helmet. With what we know of head injuries and so on, it's something we have to put an end to. Too many lives needlessly at risk.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan's hit on Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams:

That was a nasty and a dirty hit plain and simple to a defenseless player. DT came full speed and went crown of his helmet into Adams. Go tell yourself that was a legal hit. I'm not even a Packers fan. I would say the same thing if it was an Eagle doing that to someone. A suspension and fine is warranted here.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody teaches proper tackling anymore. Rarely do you see proper tackling in football anymore, at any level. I don't understand why there is such an uproar about this hit? What are people expecting?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miss Danny Trevathan. I mean, our ILBs are good, but Trevathan is better.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is called a tackle, know it or not, but that "sort of hit" happens all the time, all the time. This time it happened to knock the player out. Notice the flag didn't come out right away? Notice it took a second for the refs to see the player out before they tossed the flag. Had he popped up, guess what... No flag. That "sort of hit" again, happens all the time. Ever see a player hurdle another player, because he lowered his head to make a hit and the player jumped over him? Same attempted "sort of hit".
Leading with the crown of your helmet is not a tackle. Everything you point out after that is a lame attempt to justify him spearing with the crown of his helmet.

If this was turned around and somebody on the Packers laid that hit on Howard, I'm positive your stance would be 100% the opposite of this bullshit.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody teaches proper tackling anymore. Rarely do you see proper tackling in football anymore, at any level. I don't understand why there is such an uproar about this hit? What are people expecting?

I'm not sure where the art of keeping your eyes on your target, running through the ball carrier and wrapping your arms around them went, but I agree that it's disappearing. Nothing is more lame that watching a guy try to blow somebody up without wrapping up and watching the ball carrier continue on his way downfield. Stupid highlight chasers...

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leading with the crown of your helmet is not a tackle. Everything you point out after that is a lame attempt to justify him spearing with the crown of his helmet.

If this was turned around and somebody on the Packers laid that hit on Howard, I'm positive your stance would be 100% the opposite of this bullshit.

I could probably find you a dozen or more hits like that or worse just this year. Not justifying the hit, but this shit happens all the time. The fact that he got knocked out is what distinguishes it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're still twisting my words. Try again.

Adams wasnt exactly being classy all game. He was getting into it with different bears all game. It looked like a shut your damn mouth hit, and it worked. Not saying that I agree with it, but it happens. If it happened to any team in the nfl, I'm glad it was the packers.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it's not how all players tackle. The Seahawks, for instance, make a strong emphasis to tackle properly. Helmet up, warp the player and twist.

Helmet to helmet tackles ARE illegal. They just don't call it very often.

:rockford:

The Seahawks have as many headhunters as any team in the league and more than most.