• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears LB Danny Trevathan's Hit on Packers WR Davante Adams (Video)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know an offensive player puts his head down or leads with his helmet. Simply to make himself small every time an offensive player does lead with his helmet? You don't so you can't say that with all knowing certainty. Just like I can't say with all knowing certainty that every time a RB or WR knows his QB hung him out to dry or threw a shitty pass he has no chance to catch. If he's lucky some poor SOB of a DB is about to collide with him and if he acts well enough, grabs his face-mask, winces around hard enough on the ground. They have a decent shot at getting a defenseless player flag thrown on the poor SOB defender. I do believe it happens though.

That's another problem with these bullshit protection rules for offensive players. Too many times they just serve to deflate a defense after making a good/great stand only to have an offense be gifted a fresh set of downs.

Because an offensive ball carrier and a defensive player trying to make a tackle have different and diametrically opposing objectives.

The former is trying to avoid and minimize contact while the latter is trying to do the opposite. This is pretty basic stuff and is at the heart of what their roles role.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks Adams got hurt.

I'd bench any player that doesn't come in to finish that play.
I agree but I would also remind him that he needs to be more careful and smarter. You know the league will always come down hard on this stuff when a guy gets hurt. Whether we agree with it or not.
As far as intent, I will never say that because there is no way of knowing. The only guy on the planet who knows the answer to that is Trevathan himself and we know he would never admit it if it were the case. I think it's just in the heat of the action at full speed and somewhat careless but I will never know for sure.
I think if we put emotions and homerism aside and look at these things objectively, we all understand when playing contact sports that you play hard until the whistle. Unfortunately, sometimes bad shit is going to happen. All coaches can do at the instructional level (kids), is try to teach them how to play tough but as clean as possible.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I would also remind him that he needs to be more careful and smarter. You know the league will always come down hard on this stuff when a guy gets hurt. Whether we agree with it or not.
As far as intent, I will never say that because there is no way of knowing. The only guy on the planet who knows the answer to that is Trevathan himself and we know he would never admit it if it were the case. I think it's just in the heat of the action at full speed and somewhat careless but I will never know for sure.
I think if we put emotions and homerism aside and look at these things objectively, we all understand when playing contact sports that you play hard until the whistle. Unfortunately, sometimes bad shit is going to happen. All coaches can do at the instructional level (kids), is try to teach them how to play tough but as clean as possible.
The Bears are my least favorite professional sports franchise.

Wasn't exactly excited when DT followed John Fox there. Kinda the last place Inwanted him to be. Because he's a helluva football player.

And played a great game on Thursday. Dude had 13 tackles and assisted on 7 others. I'm sure he'd try and go lower on that one assist if he had the chance to do it again. But I'd also guess he wouldn't hold up and let Adams work for more yards. That's not how he plays football.

He spoke openly about it post game.

gandog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks Adams got hurt.

I'd bench any player that doesn't come in to finish that play.
Then are you also ready to accept the two game suspension, like he got? The play was totally unnecessary. Adams forward momentum was completely stopped. The only reason to do that hit was to put a hurt on Adams, make him worry about catching one over the middle. Did he mean for the guy to be carted off the field and straight to the hospital? No, I don't think so. Yeah, a hit isn't wrong, but launching yourself and hitting the guy straight in his face using your helmet as a weapon? No, that is NOT right. I would have given him an EIGHT game suspension.

Of course as a Packers fan, I would be a little biased there.

gandog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw it from one angle, but it looked like a good hard hit to me.
I disagree, it was a totally baseless hit, and no need for him to do it like he did. What gets me is the league is supposed to crack down on hits like that, and eject the player. I want it more like the college targeting rules, where he would have been ousted.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, it was a totally baseless hit, and no need for him to do it like he did. What gets me is the league is supposed to crack down on hits like that, and eject the player. I want it more like the college targeting rules, where he would have been ousted.
Okay.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then are you also ready to accept the two game suspension, like he got? The play was totally unnecessary. Adams forward momentum was completely stopped. The only reason to do that hit was to put a hurt on Adams, make him worry about catching one over the middle. Did he mean for the guy to be carted off the field and straight to the hospital? No, I don't think so. Yeah, a hit isn't wrong, but launching yourself and hitting the guy straight in his face using your helmet as a weapon? No, that is NOT right. I would have given him an EIGHT game suspension.

Of course as a Packers fan, I would be a little biased there.
He was tackling a ball carrier. Every hit a defender puts on someone should be to inflict pain imo. But not to injure. There's a difference.

If it was late instead of unfortunately in the face I'd feel better about the suspension.

It wasn't dirty football to me. Just unfortunate.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was tackling a ball carrier. Every hit a defender puts on someone should be to inflict pain imo. But not to injure. There's a difference.

If it was late instead of unfortunately in the face I'd feel better about the suspension.

It wasn't dirty football to me. Just unfortunate.
Causing pain via a clean hit yes all about tgat. Launching and using your helmet no room for that in the game.

2 game suspension down to one what a joke with handing out punishment. As long as you don't buck the system the NFL will decrease the penalty.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's unfortunate that now, whether warranted or not, DT will have the label of "dirty player"

all of his hard hits will be put under a microscope

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Causing pain via a clean hit yes all about tgat. Launching and using your helmet no room for that in the game.

2 game suspension down to one what a joke with handing out punishment. As long as you don't buck the system the NFL will decrease the penalty.
Still lame he's suspended.

It's football.