• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Thread

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't figure out I needed to edit my post until the 10 min time limit had passed. so below is what I would have edited.

So... up to this point, the first 16 games of the conference season, The Gophers faced THREE TIMES AS MANY opponents from the Top Half of the Conf(12 games) compared to the teams from the bottom half(4 games), and among those 12 games vs the Top Half(all of which are rated among the Top 35 of the NET ratings), 6 of those 12 games were road games, and also 7 of those 12 games were vs Top 8 rated teams. I'd challenge anyone to show me another team in the nation who played a tougher more grueling 16 game stretch than the Gophers to this point.

I mean, ROAD games vs #3, #4, #6, #22, #27, #35, #38 & #63. And home games vs #3, #4, #6, #8, #22, #35, #70 & #126.

That is 7 games vs Top 8 ranked teams, ALL 8 road games are Tier One level games with 7 of the 8 being vs Top 40 rated teams. HALF the home games were vs Top 8 rated teams, and 5 of the 8 home games are Tier One level games and we won all but 2 of them.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hard part of their schedule (which they did well in) has nothing to do with their inability back end of schedule.

I like Pitino, he's funny, honest, but after 8 years his BIG record was 40 games under 500

There are challenges in MN, it's not an easy job. Pitino was learning on job after one year of HC experience at age of 31, the B1G is not a conference to learn on the job. I wish him the best
Look at this chart.

First 16 games of conference play, the Gophers played

TOP HALF of conf.
#03 Illinois - TWO GAMES
#04 Michigan - TWO GAMES
#06 Univ Iowa - TWO GAMES
#08 Ohio State - ONE game
#22 Purdue U - TWO GAMES
#27 Wisconsin - ONE game
#35 Maryland - TWO GAMES. -------------- Total TWELVE GAMES.

Bottom half of conf
#38 Rutgers - ONE game
#42 Penn St - ZERO games. ZERO games!!!
#63 Indiana - ONE game
#70 Mich St - ONE game
#77 U Minn - ZERO games. ZERO games!!!
#92 Nwstrn - ZERO games. ZERO games!!!
#126 U Neb - ONE game -------------------- Total FOUR games.

All 8 of their road games were vs Tier One level opponents, 7 of the 8 were vs Top 40 rated teams

If you can't acknowledge the Gophers played a HORRIBLY unfair/uneven schedule, they you are blind.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at this chart.

First 16 games of conference play, the Gophers played

TOP HALF of conf.
#03 Illinois - TWO GAMES
#04 Michigan - TWO GAMES
#06 Univ Iowa - TWO GAMES
#08 Ohio State - ONE game
#22 Purdue U - TWO GAMES
#27 Wisconsin - ONE game
#35 Maryland - TWO GAMES. -------------- Total TWELVE GAMES.

Bottom half of conf
#38 Rutgers - ONE game
#42 Penn St - ZERO games. ZERO games!!!
#63 Indiana - ONE game
#70 Mich St - ONE game
#77 U Minn - ZERO games. ZERO games!!!
#92 Nwstrn - ZERO games. ZERO games!!!
#126 U Neb - ONE game -------------------- Total FOUR games.

All 8 of their road games were vs Tier One level opponents, 7 of the 8 were vs Top 40 rated teams

If you can't acknowledge the Gophers played a HORRIBLY unfair/uneven schedule, they you are blind.
you are what your record says you are, they lost to some terrible teams and it wasn't one year

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even after the last 4 games got played, still 14 games, 70% of their schedule, were played against Top 40 ranked teams.
you are what your record says you are, they lost to some terrible teams and it wasn't one year

I'm not defending Pitino's 8 year career, I'm defending THIS SEASON, and this season alone.

So who were the terrible teams they lost to this year?

While healthy, the Gophers beat ALL COMERS, Top 100 rated Loyola Marymount, twice, #43 rated SLU, #126 Nebraska at home, #70 rated and IN THE BIG DANCE MSU at home, #4 Michigan at home, #6 Iowa at home, #8 OSU at home & #22 Purdue at home.

So who were these terrible teams they lost to?

NW at home and Nebraska on the road? Weren't they down like 3 players, including 2 starters for those 2 games???

ALL other losses would NOT have been considered bad losses by the committee. And had they just pulled off just 2 more wins, the road game vs Rutgers and the tourney game vs OSU, for example, the 4 games they lost to finish the season while saddled with so many injuries ALSO would not have been held against them by the Committee as the Selection Committee, unlike negative nancy gopher fans, DO take injuries into account.

Having the one road win, and an impressive road win, and one more significant Top 10 win while down several players would both have possibly put them into the tourney, as long as at least Liam was going to return to the lineup in time for the 1st round games.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And NO, NO ONE in the Selection Committee judges teams strictly by their win loss record. Are you really THAT retarded to believe as much? lol I'm guessing you are not.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even after the last 4 games got played, still 14 games, 70% of their schedule, were played against Top 40 ranked teams.

I'm not defending Pitino's 8 year career, I'm defending THIS SEASON, and this season alone.

So who were the terrible teams they lost to this year?

While healthy, the Gophers beat ALL COMERS, Top 100 rated Loyola Marymount, twice, #43 rated SLU, #126 Nebraska at home, #70 rated and IN THE BIG DANCE MSU at home, #4 Michigan at home, #6 Iowa at home, #8 OSU at home & #22 Purdue at home.

So who were these terrible teams they lost to?

NW at home and Nebraska on the road? Weren't they down like 3 players, including 2 starters for those 2 games???

ALL other losses would NOT have been considered bad losses by the committee. And had they just pulled off just 2 more wins, the road game vs Rutgers and the tourney game vs OSU, for example, the 4 games they lost to finish the season while saddled with so many injuries ALSO would not have been held against them by the Committee as the Selection Committee, unlike negative nancy gopher fans, DO take injuries into account.

Having the one road win, and an impressive road win, and one more significant Top 10 win while down several players would both have possibly put them into the tourney, as long as at least Liam was going to return to the lineup in time for the 1st round games.
loses to NW and Nebraska were bad losses

NW had lost 13 straight, Nebraska was like 2-31 in their last 33 in the B1G, you can't lose to those guys b2b and be taken seriously.

an injury or two shouldn't derail entire season, and slide started before gabe/robbins were hurt. And it's on pitino that roster didn't have depth to beat out bottom feeders

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NW had lost 13 straight, Nebraska was like 2-31 in their last 33 in the B1G, you can't lose to those guys b2b and be taken seriously.

an injury or two shouldn't derail entire season, and slide started before gabe/robbins were hurt. And it's on pitino that roster didn't have depth to beat out bottom feeders
You are kind of thick in the skull aren't you? What part of "The Selection Committee DOES take injuries into account and does NOT hold losses against teams who had significant injuries affect the result of games".

So YOU can refuse to acknowledge the FACT that multiple injuries contributed to Minnesota losing those back to back games, but the Selection Committee would not have held it against them had they only won 2 more games.

Compare UMn's resume to MSU's. MSU also lost to NW and they lost to Purdue and Iowa at home, something UMn didn't do, UMn beat both of those teams at home. Granted MSU made up for those losses by beating the Illini at home and Indiana on the road. What differentiates MSU and UMn???

UMn had MORE (4 vs 3), wins vs Top 25 ranked teams & UMn also had MORE (10 vs 9) wins vs Top 100 ranked teams. They both had 5 Top 50 wins.

Their resumes were very similar, cept UMn had their big wins early, and MSU had theirs late, MSU had their ugly losses early and UMn had their's late. Only difference, otherwise, EVEN WITH the 4 straight losses to finish the season, between UMn and MSU, favors UMn, slightly. We were not as far from making the tourney as most Gopher fans believed. Current status of our injured players probably had an influence, and being below .500 of course hurt, but MSU was only 15-12, had we simply won those 2 games I mentioned, the Rutgers road game and the OSU 2nd round conf tourney game, even that 4 game skid to finish the season wouldn't have kept us out of the tourney. We would have gotten in instead of MSU.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are kind of thick in the skull aren't you? What part of "The Selection Committee DOES take injuries into account and does NOT hold losses against teams who had significant injuries affect the result of games".

So YOU can refuse to acknowledge the FACT that multiple injuries contributed to Minnesota losing those back to back games, but the Selection Committee would not have held it against them had they only won 2 more games.

Compare UMn's resume to MSU's. MSU also lost to NW and they lost to Purdue and Iowa at home, something UMn didn't do, UMn beat both of those teams at home. Granted MSU made up for those losses by beating the Illini at home and Indiana on the road. What differentiates MSU and UMn???

UMn had MORE (4 vs 3), wins vs Top 25 ranked teams & UMn also had MORE (10 vs 9) wins vs Top 100 ranked teams. They both had 5 Top 50 wins.

Their resumes were very similar, cept UMn had their big wins early, and MSU had theirs late, MSU had their ugly losses early and UMn had their's late. Only difference, otherwise, EVEN WITH the 4 straight losses to finish the season, between UMn and MSU, favors UMn, slightly. We were not as far from making the tourney as most Gopher fans believed. Current status of our injured players probably had an influence, and being below .500 of course hurt, but MSU was only 15-12, had we simply won those 2 games I mentioned, the Rutgers road game and the OSU 2nd round conf tourney game, even that 4 game skid to finish the season wouldn't have kept us out of the tourney. We would have gotten in instead of MSU.
Dogshit program

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, and it WAS NOT an injury or two, it was AT LEAST TWO both starters, if not 3 or 4. And I have seen many times teams totally crumble because of the loss of just ONE player. The most memorable for me specifically, was when Kenyon Martin went down just before the tourney, and highly seeded, (#1 or #2) Cincy went out in the 1st or 2nd round. A more recent example, 2021's Michigan, most do not consider them a legit F4 contender now that they have ONE SINGLE player injured and out of the lineup. The UCLA team that the Gophers beat in the NCAA tourney recently, were down a player, and it was mentioned by many, and recognized as a significant factor. The Gophers best season under Pitino, where they had a LATE season run, was recognized by most, to have been derailed by the loss of just one player, our favorite Pitino(up til that point)Grad transfer. Akeem Springs I believe? Come on man. The Hundreds of examples of ONE player going down derailing entire seasons totally debunks what you are saying.

And no, the slide did NOT happen before Gabe/Robbins were hurt, you just had too high of expectations, the teams you thought the Gophers shouldn't have lost to, were not bad losses, they were highly ranked teams defending their home courts for the most part, or better ranked teams than any other conference ever in history has had to contend with week in and week out.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and it WAS NOT an injury or two, it was AT LEAST TWO both starters, if not 3 or 4. And I have seen many times teams totally crumble because of the loss of just ONE player. The most memorable for me specifically, was when Kenyon Martin went down just before the tourney, and highly seeded, (#1 or #2) Cincy went out in the 1st or 2nd round. A more recent example, 2021's Michigan, most do not consider them a legit F4 contender now that they have ONE SINGLE player injured and out of the lineup. The UCLA team that the Gophers beat in the NCAA tourney recently, were down a player, and it was mentioned by many, and recognized as a significant factor. The Gophers best season under Pitino, where they had a LATE season run, was recognized by most, to have been derailed by the loss of just one player, our favorite Pitino(up til that point)Grad transfer. Akeem Springs I believe? Come on man. The Hundreds of examples of ONE player going down derailing entire seasons totally debunks what you are saying.

And no, the slide did NOT happen before Gabe/Robbins were hurt, you just had too high of expectations, the teams you thought the Gophers shouldn't have lost to, were not bad losses, they were highly ranked teams defending their home courts for the most part, or better ranked teams than any other conference ever in history has had to contend with week in and week out.
8 years ago

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh? And Iowa has made a single Sweet 16 in the 21st Century??? LOL Didn't think so!
MN's last trip to Sweet 16 was 1990. Let me guess, that's considered "recent" too

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dogshit program
Iowa has NEVER won a Natl title in cbb. UMn has 3 titles.

Iowa has only made the FF once in the last 64 years. Only twice has made the E8 in that time. Hardly the stuff of a NON-dog shit program.

In the last 50 years, Iowa's only gotten to one more Sweet 16 than UMn has, so if UMn is a dogsh1t program, I'd say Iowa is not much better. They better not crap their pants in this year's dance, lol.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa has NEVER won a Natl title in cbb. UMn has 3 titles.

Iowa has only made the FF once in the last 64 years. Only twice has made the E8 in that time. Hardly the stuff of a NON-dog shit program.

In the last 50 years, Iowa's only gotten to one more Sweet 16 than UMn has, so if UMn is a dogsh1t program, I'd say Iowa is not much better. They better not crap their pants in this year's dance, lol.
The next time I vomit 1000 words on a message board post excusing a failed coaching tenure will be my first. You've done it like 4x in the last 4 pages of this thread.

MN high schools has produced 5-6 NBA first round picks in the last 5 years, none of them chose the Gophs.......for a reason

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MN's last trip to Sweet 16 was 1990. Let me guess, that's considered "recent" too
Well, until your Hawkeyes actually deliver this post season, as of right now, when looking back at the last 50 years, lets compare Iowa and UMn, since you have already declared UMN a dogshit program, lets see how Iowa compares???

Sweet 16s - Ia = 5, UMn = 4. (80, 83, 87, 88 & 99 vs 72, 82, 89, & 90)
Elite 8s - Ia = 2, UMn =1. (80 & 87 vs 90.)
Final 4s - Ia = 1, UMn 1 vacated. (80 vs 97*)

Hardly a difference. And I am 100% sure you don't want to compare the # of Hall of Famers each program has, and the # of All-Americans each program has, and the # of NBAers each program has, because I know for A FACT, that UMn dominates each of those categories, and it's probably not even close.

And I also won't mention the FACT that UMn has 3 titles and Iowa has ZERO.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next time I vomit 1000 words on a message board post excusing a failed coaching tenure will be my first. You've done it like 4x in the last 4 pages of this thread.

MN high schools has produced 5-6 NBA first round picks in the last 5 years, none of them chose the Gophs.......for a reason
They also did NOT pick the Hawkeyes, either, go figure, lol.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also did NOT pick the Hawkeyes, either, go figure, lol.
Don't be an idiot. The point is MN does a terrible job of keeping their top players in state. Even their 2nd tier players choose Wisc and others over MN.