• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G might have late fall football season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe football in October now!

Report: Big Ten considering October start date for football

@Wolverine830872 It is all Trumps fault if it happens

This report comes just a few hours after news broke regarding President Donald Trump and Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren having a conversation to possibly bring football back. The President has been pushing recently on social media to have the Big Ten play this year.

"I think it was very productive about getting Big Ten playing again, immediately," President Trump told reporters before a flight to Wisconsin. "Let's see what happens. (Warren is) a great guy, it's a great conference. Tremendous teams. We're pushing very hard."

After the news of their conversation broke, the Big Ten put out a statement in regards to the news.

“A White House representative reached out to Big Ten Conference commissioner Kevin Warren on Monday, August 31, 2020, to facilitate a phone call between President Donald J. Trump and Commissioner Warren,” the Big Ten said in a statement. “On Tuesday, September 1, 2020, Commissioner Warren and the President had a productive conversation.

“The Big Ten Conference and its Return to Competition Task Force, on behalf of the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C), are exhausting every resource to help student-athletes get back to playing the sports they love, at the appropriate time, in the safest and healthiest way possible.”

If this plan were to come through and workout...wonder if they would have a CFP, including the Big Ten, interesting.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I somewhat agree but Michigan State didn't even feel comfortable having students on campus. So how are they going to justify athletics? Other schools probably wanted the best shot at having kids stay in person, which would be impacted by guaranteed tailgating off campus if football was played.

I always thought it made more sense to have athletics, and not have kids on campus. From my understanding, the athletes from all the schools were being tested several times a week, checked for fevers and other COVID symptoms, and separated even if they showed some symptoms, but hadn't tested positive yet. From what I've seen, the students on campus don't have nearly the same protocol.

To me, it feels backwards to cancel sports and allow kids to come back to campus...if the concern in the spread of COVID.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought it made more sense to have athletics, and not have kids on campus. From my understanding, the athletes from all the schools were being tested several times a week, checked for fevers and other COVID symptoms, and separated even if they showed some symptoms, but hadn't tested positive yet. From what I've seen, the students on campus don't have nearly the same protocol.

To me, it feels backwards to cancel sports and allow kids to come back to campus...if the concern in the spread of COVID.
Except that education is more of a necessity than playing a game, no? In person instruction is more valuable to their education and to their future prospects, to the broader range of students attending the university.

But that's also why playing after thanksgiving makes sense. Many of the B10 schools have limited in-person academic calendars this year. Michigan's ends at Thanksgiving. Meaning they could get the in-person classes in, send those kids online and have athletes stick around on campus to compete in sports on relatively empty campuses.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TBH though, I think the dumbest thing about all of this is that they stopped the football games but kept the athletes on campus and they're still practicing like they're going to play football games. So if they're still on campus, still practicing together, still having team meeting ect. then I can't imagine playing a game on Saturday would be dramatically more dangerous.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that education is more of a necessity than playing a game, no? In person instruction is more valuable to their education and to their future prospects, to the broader range of students attending the university.

But that's also why playing after thanksgiving makes sense. Many of the B10 schools have limited in-person academic calendars this year. Michigan's ends at Thanksgiving. Meaning they could get the in-person classes in, send those kids online and have athletes stick around on campus to compete in sports on relatively empty campuses.

If we are talking COVID safety, and they believe that the athletes pose too much of a danger, then students on campus doesn't make sense either. Most classes can be done remotely (I believe the Ivy league is doing this option). Student athletes are monitored like they live in the Big Brother house. They are tested, tested, and tested again. It would make more sense to me to do the classes remotely, because they cannot monitor and test 10's of thousands of students multiple times a week. They can do that for athletes, and could have a MUCH safer environment for those athletes to compete compared to those going to classes in person.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF
They put out a revised "Conference Only" schedule.
2 days later they cancel the season
Then they talk about starting at Thanksgiving.
Now it's October.

What a clusterfuck the B1G is

Fire Warren!

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF
Now it's October.

As a Michigan fan (I wouldn't call myself a B10 fan, as I root for every team outside of Michigan to lose...unless a win helps Michigan), I've always loved that the B10 schools are often ranked highly among universities in terms of their level of education. They are head and shoulders above every other Power 5 conference in that regard (last I had checked). This whole situation makes them look so dumb. I want them to play badly, but they haven't played this whole thing very well. I can respect their concern, but they should have waited it out...in my opinion. This flip flop and the excuse of getting bad info just makes them look aloof. Super smart on one side, but lacking common sense on the other.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF
Now it's October.

I guess the words of Trump have power :pound::pound::pound:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just do Sept 26 if you're doing Oct 10? No sense is not giving yourself any wiggle room

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just do Sept 26 if you're doing Oct 10? No sense is not giving yourself any wiggle room

That would make sense since they've still been practicing this whole time, but I guess 3 weeks just isn't enough time in the eyes of those who make that decision.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make sense since they've still been practicing this whole time, but I guess 3 weeks just isn't enough time in the eyes of those who make that decision.
Imo what happened is Warren knew a few days after postponing that he screwed up and instead of owning it he's slowly trying to move back to fall without outright admitting it. If he goes to Sept thats a tacit admission so he's trying to get as close as he can and still save face

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo what happened is Warren knew a few days after postponing that he screwed up and instead of owning it he's slowly trying to move back to fall without outright admitting it. If he goes to Sept thats a tacit admission so he's trying to get as close as he can and still save face

Do you think this was a Warren call? Do you think he had the influence that caused the school presidents to vote against having fall sports?

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 game season! and would it really be that bad if Rutgers, Maryland, NW, and Illinois don’t go along?)

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 game season! and would it really be that bad if Rutgers, Maryland, NW, and Illinois don’t go along?)

That would put them 2 weeks behind the SEC in starting up, but might be close enough for them to qualify for playoff inclusion.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think this was a Warren call? Do you think he had the influence that caused the school presidents to vote against having fall sports?
Yep. I think he convinced them everyone would follow suit

Acrux.v2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems less than ideal in trying to convince the B10 leadership to reconsider:

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

Why do people get stuck on Myocarditis ...

Myocarditis - Harvard Health

Everyone who's ever had chickenpox has entered the chat, along with numerous other known virus/bacteria, etc..

It is a Harvard link so who knows if they have any clue what they are talking about, maybe UM has something on it? They actually have a decent medical program.. Michigan still blows though. :D:finger: