• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article on OU and recent cases

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, the punishment could be you kick them off the team & if they want to play ball again the punishment is they can only play at either TTECH or Baylor, forcing them to live in Waco or Lubbock. That is a severe punishment right there!

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU ruled that Frank Shannon was a guilty of sexual assault. That is why they suspended him for 1 yr. He comes back and something happens OU is exposed to a lot of risk.

That exposure is already there now. But if the new policy had already been implemented he'd still get to go to school although he wouldn't get to play football. If that policy had been in place before he committed an assault, he would have had time to be taught what happens when any player crosses the line. He would have been told don't do this, or this, or this because if you do you're history. Same goes for any other player who wants to play the fool. In Frank Shannon's situation, he is dead meat if he commits another assault irregardless if he's on the team or not. I would prefer a policy where he would be off the team if he had been told in no uncertain terms what would happen if he did something like that. Losing your eligibility would be a strong deterrent.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU ruled that Frank Shannon was a guilty of sexual assault. That is why they suspended him for 1 yr. He comes back and something happens OU is exposed to a lot of risk.

it's pretty sad when the system, aka the DA, won't file charges, but the school decides to toss the kid out of school. it would be interesting to know what they based their decision on.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's pretty sad when the system, aka the DA, won't file charges, but the school decides to toss the kid out of school. it would be interesting to know what they based their decision on.

He probably did something like this multiple times and the school found out during their investigation. It was on campus, so OUPD was the involved agency. The coeds talked but didn't want to press charges for obvious reasons.

And before you Sooners get upset, I believe that few if any transgressors get caught the first time. The 2 UT players had probably pulled their double team multiple times in the past. smh

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Title IX funding involved.

Partially true. The lion's share of the pressure came from David Boren's insistence on righting a perceived wrong. In Boren's case he's a fan of a liberal social agenda and that spelled doom for Shannon. Right or wrong, Boren forced the issue because of a personal belief system.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Title IX funding involved.

understand that, but what made the university suspend him when the DA wouldn't file charges. it has to be more than just the Title IX.

in a way, it's like OJ being set free in the criminal case and losing the civil case.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understand that, but what made the university suspend him when the DA wouldn't file charges. it has to be more than just the Title IX.

in a way, it's like OJ being set free in the criminal case and losing the civil case.

OJ was guilty. The DA and the detectives screwed up the investigation.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If found to be in violaton of Title IX, the university would lose a good deal of cash.

There isn't a political motive here, it's money pure and simple.

Any theory that it is driven by some liberal agenda in nature would paint that non-liberals are ok with sexual abuse of women... :L

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If found to be in violaton of Title IX, the university would lose a good deal of cash.

There isn't a political motive here, it's money pure and simple.

Any theory that it is driven by some liberal agenda in nature would paint that non-liberals are ok with sexual abuse of women... :L

It is driven by a liberal social agenda. What the hell do you think Title IX is? It's a liberal social agenda that promotes opportunities for women. Surely you understand that! Is it all wrong? No. Is is always right? No. But it sure as hell isn't a conservative agenda. Boren and other social liberals are very sensitive to women's rights. And decent conservatives feel women have rights too. The disagreement comes when either side of the political equation goes to an extreme and ignores common sense.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is driven by a liberal social agenda. What the hell do you think Title IX is? It's a liberal social agenda that promotes opportunities for women. Surely you understand that! Is it all wrong? No. Is is always right? No. But it sure as hell isn't a conservative agenda. Boren and other social liberals are very sensitive to women's rights. And decent conservatives feel women have rights too. The disagreement comes when either side of the political equation goes to an extreme and ignores common sense.

So, this thread has apparently run it's course.

Thank Obama.

*cue Nazi reference in 3...2...1...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oklahoma has a victim protection statute - meaning a victim of a crime cannot be compelled to testify about it against their will. If she wasn't going to testify they cannot subpoena her and force her to. The DA simply cannot make his case. That doesn't mean it did or didn't happen.

What we do know is that OU investigated the allegation and looked at the facts (whatever those are). OU's investigation obviously determined that he had done something wrong.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OJ was guilty. The DA and the detectives screwed up the investigation.

I said kind of and yes OJ was guilty, no doubt, but in this case, we don't know what OU based the punishment on and probably never will.

Kind of sucks, really.....

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said kind of and yes OJ was guilty, no doubt, but in this case, we don't know what OU based the punishment on and probably never will.

Kind of sucks, really.....
The fact that the Shannon situation is remaining within OU means we will never find out. However, we can make assumptions due to Shannon not taking it to court. If it went to court, his student records would then be public record and we would find out.
More than likely there are multiple incidences. Within school systems students are given multiple chances to change their behavior. The only times when a single episode results in expulsion is when a felony occurs.
His suspension has nothing to do with Title IX.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah well thanks for clearing that up for us.

I guess it was due to his being charged with a crime then.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the Shannon situation is remaining within OU means we will never find out. However, we can make assumptions due to Shannon not taking it to court. If it went to court, his student records would then be public record and we would find out.
More than likely there are multiple incidences. Within school systems students are given multiple chances to change their behavior. The only times when a single episode results in expulsion is when a felony occurs.

What!?!? It has everything to do with Title IX. OU football: Sooners linebacker Frank Shannon accused of sexual assault | News OK

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah well thanks for clearing that up for us.

I guess it was due to his being charged with a crime then.
Okay, it looks OU's Title IX Office was involved, because they do the investigating.
Oklahoma football: Where's Frank Shannon? A look into the Title IX appeals process | News OK

If Title IX did not require it, I would hope that OU would have had another OU Dept. investigate sexual misconduct charges. You seem to imply that OU only investigated the complaint because federal law required it and are trying to blame the Federal Gov. for Shannon being suspended.

So, do you really think Obama is behind Shannon getting suspended? I'd really like to read your response to this question.
The University of Oklahoma’s Title IX office outlines the process for investigating and ruling on sexual misconduct charges on its website.
When a complaint is received, the sexual misconduct office begins an investigation, which is completely independent of any criminal proceedings. In Shannon’s case, Cleveland County District Attorney Greg Mashburn declined to file charges. Under federal law, though, a university is still obligated to conduct its own investigation.
After all parties are interviewed, if it is determined that a violation of OU’s Sexual Misconduct, Discrimination and Harassment Policy has occurred, the student conduct office meets with the accused student to discuss sanctions.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attorneys for Frank Shannon, OU meet with state Supreme Court referee - Tulsa World: Sportshomepage2

and I think this is rather interesting.....

“The attorneys for Franklin Shannon will keep this matter confidential, as we have striven to do during this entire matter,” she told reporters. “But if we see more discussion of this matter in the papers or in the press by the university, we are going to ask the court to unseal the record so that my client will be able to vindicate himself in the public media like the university has done.”

That appeared to be a swipe at a statement put out by OU President David Boren on Aug. 11, one that confirmed both Shannon’s suspension and the fight he was putting up in response.

The statement read: “The University is unable to enforce its process at this time. The University has and is taking every legal step possible to move this process forward. The University is currently seeking to enforce its decision so that it may be in compliance with federal law requiring responses by institutions to such matters in a timely manner.”

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attorneys for Frank Shannon, OU meet with state Supreme Court referee - Tulsa World: Sportshomepage2

and I think this is rather interesting.....

“The attorneys for Franklin Shannon will keep this matter confidential, as we have striven to do during this entire matter,” she told reporters. “But if we see more discussion of this matter in the papers or in the press by the university, we are going to ask the court to unseal the record so that my client will be able to vindicate himself in the public media like the university has done.”

That appeared to be a swipe at a statement put out by OU President David Boren on Aug. 11, one that confirmed both Shannon’s suspension and the fight he was putting up in response.

The statement read: “The University is unable to enforce its process at this time. The University has and is taking every legal step possible to move this process forward. The University is currently seeking to enforce its decision so that it may be in compliance with federal law requiring responses by institutions to such matters in a timely manner.”

The difference between OU's actions and a court's is that a court allows Shannon's lawyers to confront his accusers and OU's informal investigation doesn't allow this. If the record ever gets out, I have no doubt that there will be multiple coed's(whose names will be redacted) accusing Shannon of improper behavior.

I just can't believe that OU would suspend a player for a year because of one incident.

I also don't believe that the Fed's would take away OU's Title IX money because of one incident. re: FSU and Winston.