• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article about Herman's future at UH

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this a pretty balanced view about whether Herman stays at UH for the long term and how things might turn out.

Will Tom Herman Stick It Out With The Cougars? - Texas Monthly

While, the piece addresses the obvious possibility that Herman leaves for a better job before his contract is up, it also discusses the opposite view in this excerpt:

"
Scenario #1: Gazing through Cougar red-tinted glasses
Herman continues to win. He proves to be the one to poke this sleeping giant of a program back to life, the one who finally, as UH athletic director Hunter Yuracheck put it, elevates the school from “stepping stone” to “destination.”

There is a precedent. Given its combo of sultry climate, fertile high school recruiting grounds, cosmopolitan setting, and citywide apathy towards the program, it’s easy to see Houston as very much like the University of Miami in about 1979, when Howard Schnellenberger arrived in Coral Gables.

Schnellenberger inherited a much bigger mess than Herman did at UH; there was open talk of pulling the plug on the program if he couldn’t turn it around, which he answered by winning a national championship in 1983, thus laying the groundwork for 20 years of Hurricane dominance.

UH has faced similar dire scenarios in the not-too-distant past. In 1986, Pardee was given five years to turn the foundering, scandal-ridden program around or preside over its demise, and after that brief run n’ shoot era of relative dominance, the program wandered lost under a succession of coaches. Around the time Briles arrived in 2003, the NCAA was threatening UH with demotion to the sport’s second division, along with all other schools with average attendances of 15,000 or below.

Back to Miami: Unlike Herman’s 2015 squad, the ‘83 Canes were indisputably the ruddy, mustachioed, pipe-chomping Schnellenberger’s team, one he assembled by walling off the “state of Miami” (his term for the three-county metro area) from rival schools, and only then looking further afield for recruits. Going forward, Herman is taking a similar approach: as part of his swagga-riffic “H-Town Takeover” campaign, 13 of 18 of his high school commits are from Greater Houston, and all but one of the remainder is a Texan."

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think UH's biggest goal in the near-term would be to gain entrance to the Big12. That would go a long way in keeping Herman at UH.

If they cannot get into a P5 conference, I wouldn't count on the dude sticking at UH for more than a few years unfortunately...especially if they have success similar to this past year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think UH's biggest goal in the near-term would be to gain entrance to the Big12. That would go a long way in keeping Herman at UH.

If they cannot get into a P5 conference, I wouldn't count on the dude sticking at UH for more than a few years unfortunately...especially if they have success similar to this past year.

I think you are probably right that getting into a P5 conference would best improve the chance that Herman stays at UH. The guy who covers UH for the Houston Chronicle, Josef Duarte, has insinuated a couple of times that he has reason to think that either the PAC or the Big Ten are more likely destinations for UH than is the Big 12.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are probably right that getting into a P5 conference would best improve the chance that Herman stays at UH. The guy who covers UH for the Houston Chronicle, Josef Duarte, has insinuated a couple of times that he has reason to think that either the PAC or the Big Ten are more likely destinations for UH than is the Big 12.

Basically because the Big 12 has 4 Texas schools already in it. 5th school does not add much. I do think Herman will leave, but it maybe longer than many think. He is at a nice position right now and is getting paid. He will wait for a blue blood to come knocking. He isnt going to take a job at a mid-tier P5 school. Those big jobs are not open as much as people think.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically because the Big 12 has 4 Texas schools already in it. 5th school does not add much. I do think Herman will leave, but it maybe longer than many think. He is at a nice position right now and is getting paid. He will wait for a blue blood to come knocking. He isnt going to take a job at a mid-tier P5 school. Those big jobs are not open as much as people think.

I don't see the payoff for the PAC or B1G to take Houston...especially the B1G considering it is already at 14 schools and should be especially choosy if they take on another 2. The B12, sitting at 10 schools, even with so many Texas schools already, kinda has limited choices. The best feasible one out there is BYU, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to join anywhere, so the next 2 best choices would be Memphis and Houston IMO. Both would add to the conference athletically and they would get to have their football CCG.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's waiting on Texas or Texas A&M jobs to come open, and both could be up for grabs this time next year. I highly doubt he turns down 5+ million at either of those schools. Actually I doubt he'd turn down that kind of money from Texas Tech! I think he's waiting on a destination school to come calling......

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's waiting on Texas or Texas A&M jobs to come open, and both could be up for grabs this time next year. I highly doubt he turns down 5+ million at either of those schools. Actually I doubt he'd turn down that kind of money from Texas Tech! I think he's waiting on a destination school to come calling......

Have to be significant additional compensation for moving from Houston to Lubbock!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the payoff for the PAC or B1G to take Houston...especially the B1G considering it is already at 14 schools and should be especially choosy if they take on another 2. The B12, sitting at 10 schools, even with so many Texas schools already, kinda has limited choices. The best feasible one out there is BYU, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to join anywhere, so the next 2 best choices would be Memphis and Houston IMO. Both would add to the conference athletically and they would get to have their football CCG.

BYU wanted in the Big 12 according to random internet stories and opinions. I think they make sense, but the 2nd team is tough. I really hope the Big 12 is just swallowed up. Its at a major population deficit. Recruiting base is basically 1 state. Big 12 is getting everything out of it working capital. Its the opposite of the ACC. I really worry about the viability going forward. Baylor, KSU, and TCU are at historic heights. What happens if Patterson, Briles, and Snyder leave? I dont think the gains are sustainable. Let the Big 10, PAC 12, and SEC carve it up and get to the P4, which makes a lot more sense with a 4 team playoff.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to be significant additional compensation for moving from Houston to Lubbock!

Granted Lubbock is a shithole but its still in a major conference. I think he wants the Texas job in all honesty. Don't know how I feel about that right now. I love what Charlie Strong is doing.....completely rebuilding the program from the ground up, and the talent he's bringing in.....and I'd like to see him finish the job. Not sure the boosters will give him the time tho.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont see him taking Tech. There is a good chance that LSU, A&M, and Texas will be looking for coaches. I have heard he isnt interested in A&M, but that is probably just white noise. Money talks. I doubt Urban has 5 years in him either. It is possible he has learned the Urban path. I think Urban is a great coach, but he is even better at deciding when to take a job. I have no reason to believe it, but I get the feeling from all the stories and rumors about Herman that he understands that picking the right opportunity is almost as important as coaching

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU wanted in the Big 12 according to random internet stories and opinions. I think they make sense, but the 2nd team is tough. I really hope the Big 12 is just swallowed up. Its at a major population deficit. Recruiting base is basically 1 state. Big 12 is getting everything out of it working capital. Its the opposite of the ACC. I really worry about the viability going forward. Baylor, KSU, and TCU are at historic heights. What happens if Patterson, Briles, and Snyder leave? I dont think the gains are sustainable. Let the Big 10, PAC 12, and SEC carve it up and get to the P4, which makes a lot more sense with a 4 team playoff.

Patterson isn't going anywhere, he's got some side deal with a TCU booster from oil or something. Briles will only leave for the a&m job, if that. Briles has that weird obsession with being the king of Texas. and now he's got Baylor's recruiting rolling. This is why UH isn't getting in the big 12, its hard enough to recruit in this state as it is, the big 12 doesn't want to add another hand in the cookie jar.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.....Snyder is pretty much done as it is, and if Patterson gets the right offer, he's gone. Briles will probably stick around, he seems to love the state that much. However, eventually they'll come back down to the mean.....when you aren't winning anything in your glory years, recruiting will dry up to a degree. Kids won't think you're the hot school anymore, and go back tot he traditional powerhouses. There's no growth really for the conference......the PAC needs schools in this time zone but they'll have to figure out how to work with the LHN.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That reminded me that perhaps the best chance UH has of getting into a "major" conference might require some big realignment shakeup.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.....Snyder is pretty much done as it is, and if Patterson gets the right offer, he's gone. Briles will probably stick around, he seems to love the state that much. However, eventually they'll come back down to the mean.....when you aren't winning anything in your glory years, recruiting will dry up to a degree. Kids won't think you're the hot school anymore, and go back tot he traditional powerhouses. There's no growth really for the conference......the PAC needs schools in this time zone but they'll have to figure out how to work with the LHN.

Briles is 60 years old. Patterson looks like a walking heart attack. He is also very difficult to work with from what I have heard. I dont think either are locks to coach for 5 more years.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see him taking Tech. There is a good chance that LSU, A&M, and Texas will be looking for coaches. I have heard he isnt interested in A&M, but that is probably just white noise. Money talks. I doubt Urban has 5 years in him either. It is possible he has learned the Urban path. I think Urban is a great coach, but he is even better at deciding when to take a job. I have no reason to believe it, but I get the feeling from all the stories and rumors about Herman that he understands that picking the right opportunity is almost as important as coaching

The real problem for A&M is WHERE they will get the money. They are BROKE......I mean really REALLY broke. They can't afford to buy out Sumlin, they aren't making enough revenue to pay for what they owe on the facility upgrades, and they aren't getting enough in from oil revenues. They can't do both.....pay out 20 million in a buyout AND pony up 5+ mill for a new coach. Something has to give.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he stays at Houston long enough for Urban to finish up at OSU, then we can welcome him back with a fat salary and whatever the fuck that smokin hot wife of his wants.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson isn't going anywhere, he's got some side deal with a TCU booster from oil or something. Briles will only leave for the a&m job, if that. Briles has that weird obsession with being the king of Texas. and now he's got Baylor's recruiting rolling. This is why UH isn't getting in the big 12, its hard enough to recruit in this state as it is, the big 12 doesn't want to add another hand in the cookie jar.

That reason is frequently cited for why UH won't get invited to the Big 12. Thing is, though, does it really matter what conference Houston is in as long as it's doing well and recruiting top players from the state? Don't really get how UH goes from "recruiting non-threat" to "recruiting threat" by joining the conference, if it's already recruiting top Texas prospects while an AAC member.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know, but I think he's enjoying this possibility of really building something at Houston. Lord knows, there's enough talent in the Greater Houston area to field an outstanding team.

A big job will eventually open up somewhere in 2-5 years, in the meantime he's just going to see what can be assembled there.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That reason is frequently cited for why UH won't get invited to the Big 12. Thing is, though, does it really matter what conference Houston is in as long as it's doing well and recruiting top players from the state? Don't really get how UH goes from "recruiting non-threat" to "recruiting threat" by joining the conference, if it's already recruiting top Texas prospects while an AAC member.

This is how I see it: what the hell does it matter about conference? It's about the team.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he stays at Houston long enough for Urban to finish up at OSU, then we can welcome him back with a fat salary and whatever the fuck that smokin hot wife of his wants.

LOL Not really clear why that plays a role in your thinking. The internet considerably shortens the distance between Houston and Columbus.

Screen-Shot-2014-11-29-at-6.38.29-PM.png