• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Art Briles Statement: I Made Mistakes

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor Nation,

My heart goes out to the victims for the pain that they have endured. Sexual assault has no place on our campus or in our society. As a father of two daughters, a grandfather, and a husband, my prayers are with the victims of this type of abuse, wherever they are. After 38 years of coaching, I have certainly made mistakes and, in hindsight, I would have done certain things differently. I always strive to be a better coach, a better father and husband, and a better person.

Keep in mind, the complete scope of what happened here has not been disclosed and unfortunately at this time I am contractually obligated to remain silent on the matter. The report prepared by Pepper Hamilton, the law firm hired and paid for by Baylor's Board of Regents, has not been shared with me directly, despite my full cooperation with the investigation. I can only assume that the report, which is not independent, supports the conclusions that the Board has already drawn. I hope to share with you what I was aware of as soon as I can so Baylor Nation can begin the healing process.

I have the utmost admiration for Baylor University, its community, and its important mission. I am truly grateful for having had the chance to coach hundreds of young student-athletes at this University. I am deeply humbled for having had the opportunity to be a part of Baylor Nation.

Coach Art Briles

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistakes like letting your football players r*pe a bunch of women and then actively ensuring that those women were silenced? Are those the details you can't provide, Art? You should be in jail.

And as far as Baylor, good old Christians living up to the "values" they espouse. Nah, typical dbag hypocrites. Keep praying, I'm sure magic jebus will fix it all.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor Nation,

My heart goes out to the victims for the pain that they have endured. Sexual assault has no place on our campus or in our society. As a father of two daughters, a grandfather, and a husband, my prayers are with the victims of this type of abuse, wherever they are. After 38 years of coaching, I have certainly made mistakes and, in hindsight, I would have done certain things differently. I always strive to be a better coach, a better father and husband, and a better person.

Keep in mind, the complete scope of what happened here has not been disclosed and unfortunately at this time I am contractually obligated to remain silent on the matter. The report prepared by Pepper Hamilton, the law firm hired and paid for by Baylor's Board of Regents, has not been shared with me directly, despite my full cooperation with the investigation. I can only assume that the report, which is not independent, supports the conclusions that the Board has already drawn. I hope to share with you what I was aware of as soon as I can so Baylor Nation can begin the healing process.

I have the utmost admiration for Baylor University, its community, and its important mission. I am truly grateful for having had the chance to coach hundreds of young student-athletes at this University. I am deeply humbled for having had the opportunity to be a part of Baylor Nation.

Coach Art Briles

Art, your attorney is an excellent writer.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistakes like letting your football players r*pe a bunch of women and then actively ensuring that those women were silenced? Are those the details you can't provide, Art? You should be in jail.

And as far as Baylor, good old Christians living up to the "values" they espouse. Nah, typical dbag hypocrites. Keep praying, I'm sure magic jebus will fix it all.

The hypocrisy is disgusting but be careful painting with a broad brush there.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty ambiguous. He must have had a 150 word limit to make this statement.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dude is s real piece of shit

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor Nation,

Coach Art Briles
Translation: "I'm just sorry I finally got caught."

What a douche.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a friend I grew up with is a high school coach. He describes Briles as a coach that not only wouldn't meet you in the middle of the field and shake your hand when you beat him but also would not allow air conditioning in the visitors locker room. Said it seemed like his players were encouraged to take cheap shots, play dirty and go out of their way to injure his players. He told me this several years ago before all this crap started going down

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what I've read & seen reported turns out to be true, this is one disgusting POS to utter these words. :L

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, what an ass hole. He's still trying to divert blame away from him.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor Nation,

Coach Art Briles

not his campus anymore

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds an awful lot like statements made by Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno too.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The total loss of institutional control is mind numbing. It is one thing when you break/ignore rules but laws? And it wasn't a wink wink nod nod recruiting competitive advantage so who cares, it was people got hurt and hot bad.

I have to wonder at what point does this go beyond just ignoring allegations and becomes conspiracy. Conspiracy to hide or obscure evidence? Conspiracy to profit by keeping criminals playing thus getting to more lucrative bowls and contract extensions?

Art it's a wonderful apology but you sir should be investigated for criminal sanctions by the Texas State Police. You will coach again, someone will let you rehab your image as a coordinator but really should you? And yes as a husband and father I find what you did repressible!

Hopefully their is a karma that gets this right when Baylor, it's ex-head coach, and ex-president is finally dealt with.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"my heart goes out...that those damn UT folks conspired to keep Uwatchaku off the field! He was working really hard in the weight room, and DC Phil Bennett was licking his chops at getting him on the field in September. But those damn pantywaists down in Austin had to go crying to their press."