• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This actually might be an upgrade for the Browns.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought crossed my mind while watching the Bengals secondary last night... What happened to Trae Waynes? He was supposed to be a relatively big addition to their secondary this past offseason, and he wasn't starting over Eli Apple? @Cincyfan78 @cincygrad

Quick lookup indicated he was injured most the year. Maybe he never returned to form or he just hadn't been given an opportunity down the stretch when he returned from injury? Either way you look at it I'm thinking he could be a cut candidate for Cincy this offseason. He had a cap hit of $15.8m this past season and only played in 5 games. He's slated to account for another $15.8m against their cap next season. Eli Apple is a FA this offseason so it will be worth keeping an eye on what they do. They are projected to have over $50m in cap space so they can certainly afford to keep Waynes if they think he's capable.

I'd be interested in Waynes if he gets cut.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought crossed my mind while watching the Bengals secondary last night... What happened to Trae Waynes? He was supposed to be a relatively big addition to their secondary this past offseason, and he wasn't starting over Eli Apple? @Cincyfan78 @cincygrad

Quick lookup indicated he was injured most the year. Maybe he never returned to form or he just hadn't been given an opportunity down the stretch when he returned from injury? Either way you look at it I'm thinking he could be a cut candidate for Cincy this offseason. He had a cap hit of $15.8m this past season and only played in 5 games. He's slated to account for another $15.8m against their cap next season. Eli Apple is a FA this offseason so it will be worth keeping an eye on what they do. They are projected to have over $50m in cap space so they can certainly afford to keep Waynes if they think he's capable.

Waynes got hurt last year and missed the entire year.

He then got hurt again this year, and missed most of the season, returned, and got hurt again. I think he was healthy at the end, but at that point, he'd missed 2 years.

Got to think he's cut. They can save some money and kick that towards Bates' extension.

Also going to need another DB since Apple is a F/A. I'd prefer not to sign him. Had a decent year, but I think he was playing above his station - at some point, you play to the back of your "card" when you've been in the league long enough. Maybe they draft a guy? Not sure.

The focus will be on the OL, and rightfully so. This is the elephant in the room, as I keep saying. For 30 years, the Bengals have refused to pay OL, especially interior OL. They've kicked the can down the road long before Burrow even set foot in Cincinnati. They kicked it again when hew as drafted, and it cost him his knee. They kicked it again, and it potentially cost them a Super Bowl. They've spent money the past 2 years on defense, so that is a positive step. Will they finally shore up the OL by way of F/A and paying guys their worth? We'll see. They have to land no less than 2 of the upper tier OL, IMO, if they want to be seen as actually doing something this is what it will take. Or, Carson Palmer's comments will ring more true than many fans want to admit about keeping Burrow, truly, long-term.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Waynes entire experience in Cincinnati was messed up.... After agreeing to terms, he wasn't allowed to sign him contract until late in the summer due to COVID related policies shutting down team facilities and delaying a physical. I think there was some animosity between player and team by the time they finally were able to start playing again.... And then he ends up hurt and missing the whole season. I think many of us were excited about the idea of him anchoring our secondary this year - After Chido's experience in Dallas there was plenty of skepticism that he would provide solid play at corner, but with Waynes and a great slot guy (Hilton), things looked to be okay. But, Waynes got hurt in camp. And it never seemed to get better. By the end of the season I'm not sure if he was still hurt or if the coaches had just given up on him.

He was a good signing. He was a good player in Minny and ironically I think a healthy player. It just didn't work here. I imagine someone will get him on a one year prove it type deal.

I'm also done with Eli Apple. He made some great plays and I think he's not bad if he is your 4th corner. But his online persona is an outlier for a team that currently doesn't show much diva attitudes. And I think we can all agree that Eli's performance probably doesn't live up to his arrogance.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big move for Baltimore... $14m per isn't "resetting" the market by any means but its right around where the Steelers are hoping to sign Minkah if the market falls after the Seahawks make their decision. In other words, Minkah will look to leverage both situations. Maybe they land around $16m per.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns are overhauling their WR corps... damn

Gone:
OBJ
Landry
Higgins

Signed:
Cooper
Grant

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is going to throw to them though?

They ran Baker out of Town, and now Watson rejects them.

Going all in on QB at 13, or even trade up? If they want Willis for example, gotta get above 9, to be sure.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going all in on QB at 13, or even trade up? If they want Willis for example, gotta get above 9, to be sure.
Baker isn’t out of town yet is he? The message is clear though.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker isn’t out of town yet is he? The message is clear though.
He's still on the roster, but if ATL gets Watson, I bet Ryan gets picked up by the Browns.

He's a dead man walking at this point.

They can't keep him after this. Not after beating on his self-confidence like the Office Space Crew on a fax machine.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure it was running him outta town. But if that's what it was adios mutha fucker! Have never really liked him. And when he badmouthed the fans and his wife ran her mouth about the team on social media last season it makes it that much easier to dislike him.

This is what was posted in a different thread.

My understanding is Browns brain trust (<--hold the jokes for now) believes it did just what it told Baker Mayfield's camp it would do: investigate if a **top tier QB** was avail. Kevin Stephanski said 2 wks ago he had confidence in Mayfield as his starter, he still does. So: does Mayfield want to be his starter?

** = Hopefully Mayfield and his camp aren't stupid enough to think he's a top tier QB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still on the roster, but if ATL gets Watson, I bet Ryan gets picked up by the Browns.

They can't keep him after this. Not after beating on his self-confidence like the Office Space Crew on a fax machine.
Both the Saints & Panthers would become players for Matt Ryan though. Maybe the Seahawks too

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3