• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big short term losses for Cleveland. 3 weeks minimum

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy week for AFCN. It was only 3 weeks ago or so that everyone was putting the Steelers in the proverbial coffin for getting dominated by the Bengals... Now suddenly everyone thinks Cincy is legit. And they are.

My AFCN power rankings:
1. Bengals... Their defense is playing championship caliber football, and now their offense is clicking. Burrow, Mixon, Chase & Higgins have opened things up immensely for the entire offense. And their OL is starting to gel (Jonah Williams looks great). They go on the road against NYJ next week before a big divisional bout with Cleveland in CIN... Then they hit their bye week. They have a high probability of being 7-2 heading into their bye.

2. Ravens... It's admirable to see them win through adversity, but I still have doubts they can keep it up. Their defense is typically better than what we saw against Cincy, but who knows maybe the blueprint is finally out. Having receivers that can dominate against press coverage helps a lot. We've known it since Lamar took over that the Ravens are a ground-game/clock-controlling team. If they get put into a hole early & have to play from behind then its tough for them to keep up. Hasn't always been the case, but its the majority.

3. Browns... They still have one of, if not the best roster in the division. Their defense has been underachieving and the entire team is struggling to stay healthy. But notching a win with Keenum under center was big. They have the OL to keep them in any game. Their skill talent hasn't been the best, but they still have a lot of potential. If their defense starts performing to their talent level then they should be playing in January. 2 big games for them coming up against PIT & CIN. They need to get healthy fast and reassert themselves.

4. Steelers... Not really sure what to think of this team. After taking a leap forward against DEN they took a sizable leap back against SEA. The OL is playing better but Ben is still not connecting and the offense still hasn't found a rhythm. Najee has brought some life into it, but he's not the cure-all. They need Ben to start playing better if they want to compete this year. The defensive interior is really suffering lately. Poor play from IDL & ILB has been very concerning. Being 3-3 at the bye is a good thing, but they aren't convincing anyone of anything just yet.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy week for AFCN. It was only 3 weeks ago or so that everyone was putting the Steelers in the proverbial coffin for getting dominated by the Bengals... Now suddenly everyone thinks Cincy is legit. And they are.

My AFCN power rankings:
1. Bengals... Their defense is playing championship caliber football, and now their offense is clicking. Burrow, Mixon, Chase & Higgins have opened things up immensely for the entire offense. And their OL is starting to gel (Jonah Williams looks great). They go on the road against NYJ next week before a big divisional bout with Cleveland in CIN... Then they hit their bye week. They have a high probability of being 7-2 heading into their bye.

2. Ravens... It's admirable to see them win through adversity, but I still have doubts they can keep it up. Their defense is typically better than what we saw against Cincy, but who knows maybe the blueprint is finally out. Having receivers that can dominate against press coverage helps a lot. We've known it since Lamar took over that the Ravens are a ground-game/clock-controlling team. If they get put into a hole early & have to play from behind then its tough for them to keep up. Hasn't always been the case, but its the majority.

3. Browns... They still have one of, if not the best roster in the division. Their defense has been underachieving and the entire team is struggling to stay healthy. But notching a win with Keenum under center was big. They have the OL to keep them in any game. Their skill talent hasn't been the best, but they still have a lot of potential. If their defense starts performing to their talent level then they should be playing in January. 2 big games for them coming up against PIT & CIN. They need to get healthy fast and reassert themselves.

4. Steelers... Not really sure what to think of this team. After taking a leap forward against DEN they took a sizable leap back against SEA. The OL is playing better but Ben is still not connecting and the offense still hasn't found a rhythm. Najee has brought some life into it, but he's not the cure-all. They need Ben to start playing better if they want to compete this year. The defensive interior is really suffering lately. Poor play from IDL & ILB has been very concerning. Being 3-3 at the bye is a good thing, but they aren't convincing anyone of anything just yet.
I think this is a fair analysis. The thing that stands out to me with the Ravens and the Browns are the injuries. Baltimore has played pretty damn good considering all the talent that they have lost through injury this year. Dominating the Chargers two weeks ago was a good example of their upside. I'm interested to see what happens with Cleveland. The D is better than I thought they would be and I think they have one of the better young coaches in the league. I'm not sold that Baker is the right QB for that team and now he is banged up. If they get the running backs healthy and the D keeps it up, they are formidable. For as much as many of us (me included) had started to write off the Steelers, they are 3-3 and you know they'll be better coming off of the bye. It's hard to see how the offense can make vast improvements, but they have enough to cause trouble.

The Bengals appear to be very good. It's disorienting - I'm not sure how to feel..... It's all so confusing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a fair analysis. The thing that stands out to me with the Ravens and the Browns are the injuries. Baltimore has played pretty damn good considering all the talent that they have lost through injury this year. Dominating the Chargers two weeks ago was a good example of their upside. I'm interested to see what happens with Cleveland. The D is better than I thought they would be and I think they have one of the better young coaches in the league. I'm not sold that Baker is the right QB for that team and now he is banged up. If they get the running backs healthy and the D keeps it up, they are formidable. For as much as many of us (me included) had started to write off the Steelers, they are 3-3 and you know they'll be better coming off of the bye. It's hard to see how the offense can make vast improvements, but they have enough to cause trouble.

The Bengals appear to be very good. It's disorienting - I'm not sure how to feel..... It's all so confusing.
I wish I shared your optimism on the Steelers after their bye... The record coming off bye doesn't tell the entire story. Having watched them all I can honestly say that they have been very fortunate to survive those games with wins. Typically this team has looked lethargic coming off of rest, of any sort... None truer than their 1st Rd exit last year when they rested their starters against CLE in week 17 to turn around and shit the bed against the same team a week later with said starters. 2 weeks of rest & prep to come out looking completely unprepared. Steelers play better in stride with momentum. Having some sour taste could help them this week against Cleveland, but who knows. History hasn't given me the confidence to believe they will dominate them, even without Baker & a laundry list of injuries.

As for Baker... Yea I'm not sold either. Honestly you have to question whether there is a drop-off in play at all from Baker to Keenum... If its even remotely debatable then he's not worth the extension. As far as the eye test from an outsider, it's looks like a pretty easy decision.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I shared your optimism on the Steelers after their bye... The record coming off bye doesn't tell the entire story. Having watched them all I can honestly say that they have been very fortunate to survive those games with wins. Typically this team has looked lethargic coming off of rest, of any sort... None truer than their 1st Rd exit last year when they rested their starters against CLE in week 17 to turn around and shit the bed against the same team a week later with said starters. 2 weeks of rest & prep to come out looking completely unprepared. Steelers play better in stride with momentum. Having some sour taste could help them this week against Cleveland, but who knows. History hasn't given me the confidence to believe they will dominate them, even without Baker & a laundry list of injuries.

As for Baker... Yea I'm not sold either. Honestly you have to question whether there is a drop-off in play at all from Baker to Keenum... If its even remotely debatable then he's not worth the extension. As far as the eye test from an outsider, it's looks like a pretty easy decision.
Yeah, when I realized their back-up was Case Keenum, I thought this might actually work out well for them. He's a great fit with the coach.... I think the Browns have to roll with Baker's extension. I'm just not sure what their long term plan would be if they moved on.... Though, I will say that they would be downright terrifying with Aaron Rodgers.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, when I realized their back-up was Case Keenum, I thought this might actually work out well for them. He's a great fit with the coach.... I think the Browns have to roll with Baker's extension. I'm just not sure what their long term plan would be if they moved on.... Though, I will say that they would be downright terrifying with Aaron Rodgers.
Indeed., or if they made a play for Russell Wilson if Seattle was willing to shop him. Hell, even Derek Carr would make them an annual contender.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed., or if they made a play for Russell Wilson if Seattle was willing to shop him. Hell, even Derek Carr would make them an annual contender.
Wow! Good point about Russell Wilson. Give him that running game, that defense, that offensive system.... They would be tough to beat.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders Dumpster Fire puts other Dumpster Fires to SHAME.

When they go wild, they go HAM.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders Dumpster Fire puts other Dumpster Fires to SHAME.

When they go wild, they go HAM.
News out of Vegas has been very dicey this year. Gruden, Ruggs, etc. After the USC rumors I think I even saw a silly ass report sayin "sources" think Tomlin is a front-runner for the HC vacancy in Oakland. Because they think Tomlin fears a rebuild.

Obviously not buyin it but thought it was funny. I don't think Tomlin has any plans to jump ship after signing a new deal that has him under contract through '24. But the Raiders media can keep wishing and clinging to false hopes. Sorta like how pundits keeps thinking Colbert is going to up & leave for the Panthers some day.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Browns RBs test positive for COVID ahead of their matchup against NE... Chubb, Felton & Kelly. They only have 1 RB left on the roster: D'Ernest Johnson.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns already shelling out top-tier cap space to its OL.

Last edited:

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Raven loss to the Dolphins would be huge…..let’s hope……

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now the Steelers are an 0-8 Lions team away from leading the AFCN and (possibly) 2nd seed.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now the Steelers are an 0-8 Lions team away from leading the AFCN and (possibly) 2nd seed.
You have to applaud a team that just keeps winning. I'll admit that when I've watched the Steelers this season I have believed that they were well below their normal very high standard. But, we are 9 weeks into the season and they are going to be in first place in a division that has 4 teams with winning records. That's impressive... And ultimately might be a deciding factor given the inconsistency of the other teams in the division.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to applaud a team that just keeps winning. I'll admit that when I've watched the Steelers this season I have believed that they were well below their normal very high standard. But, we are 9 weeks into the season and they are going to be in first place in a division that has 4 teams with winning records. That's impressive... And ultimately might be a deciding factor given the inconsistency of the other teams in the division.
They’ve been helped by a soft spot in their schedule & a few games of misfortune on their opponents part. Seahawks without Wilson, and the Browns were fairly beat up. Broncos, Bears (no Mack or Jackson) & now the Lions are kind of pushovers this year.

Schedule gets a lot tougher after this week. We’ll see just what this team is made of

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I would have never guess this guy would fall so far seeing how dominant he was at Baylor. I wanted the Steelers to draft him in the 1st Rd that year lol

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’ve been helped by a soft spot in their schedule & a few games of misfortune on their opponents part. Seahawks without Wilson, and the Browns were fairly beat up. Broncos, Bears (no Mack or Jackson) & now the Lions are kind of pushovers this year.

Schedule gets a lot tougher after this week. We’ll see just what this team is made of
Ravens schedule is brutal, too

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brutal week for the AFCN. Good week for the Bengals to be on vacation.

It's likely going to be an ugly dogfight the rest of the way.