• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-36-1. :L

Jackson's record as HC of the Browns. The worst record for a HC of 1 team in NFL history.

1 win - Hue can stay
0 wins - Hue can stay
2 wins - We've had enough of this shit, Hue. You're fired!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 win - Hue can stay
0 wins - Hue can stay
2 wins - We've had enough of this shit, Hue. You're fired!

Well obviously he didn't get fired for only winning 2 games because he won 3.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well obviously he didn't get fired for only winning 2 games because he won 3.

Yeah I get that. I just found it funny that he didn't get fired after a winless season, but he wins the most games this team has won in a single season since 2015 and he gets fired lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I get that. I just found it funny that he didn't get fired after a winless season, but he wins the most games this team has won in a single season since 2015 and he gets fired lol

No doubt about that. Why wasn't he fired after last season? My guess is Jimmy Haslam's a jackass.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... I just found out that Hue Jackson got the axe.

Condolences @Wamu

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early rumors have Tomlin going to Cleveland next year & Hue Jackson will be Pittsburgh's next HC.
tenor.gif

yy6BUYw.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait... They fired Todd Haley too????

200.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFCN Week 9 Recap

PIT...5-2-1, W, @ BAL, 23-16...The Steelers maintain their slim lead in the DIV by beating the Ravens in the 2.0 game to even the score for 2018. Although it didn't show up on the scoreboard, the Steeler OFC dominated this game with almost 37 mins of possession and only 23 mins for the Ravens....27 first downs compared to 18 for BAL...I think you get the picture. BAL just couldn't do much after getting deep into the RZ twice early and coming away for two FGs. This win puts the streak a 4 in row for PIT after a shaky start. If the playoff started today, that tie vault PIT into the 3 seed slot.

Next game...CAR.

CIN...5-3, Bye....Bengals enjoy their bye week...as of today they would be the 6th seed.

Next game...NO.

BAL...4-5, L vs PIT, 16-23....The Ravens have now lost 3 in a row...moving in the wrong direction after a fairly good start. The lofty DEF ranking is starting to show what I've felt all along, pretty good, but not THAT good, more of a by-product of the teams they're playing. BAL limps into their week 10 bye, under .500 and reeling on OFC...I'm hearing there is some concern about Harbaugh's job which I don't really get. I know the reload or rebuild from their 2012 SB win has been slower than expected maybe with only 1 playoff presence in 2014. The last 7 are not brutal, but the Ravens need to re-group very quickly to have any playoff hope.

Next game...bye, CIN 2.0 week 11.

CLE...2-6-1...L, vs KC, 21-37...The Browns finally did the right thing and got rid of Hue Jackson. Apparently there was a rift between Haley and Jackson, so they decided to clear them both out. This season is a lost cause...I thought back in SEPT, that 6-10 would be a good record. Looking at the remainder of the schedule, the Browns are not likely to win 4 more times this season. IMO, they're heading towards yet another top 10 draft pick. GM John Dorsey needs to study the market well for this HC because he's probably only going to get one shot it the way the losses keep piling up. Hopefully ownership gives him a legit chance with his own HC/QB and not tag whim with Hue's terrible record.

Next game...ATL

AFC at large.

NE and KC both won fairly easily and are pretty much running away with the 1 & 2 seeds.

HOU is holding up the south...won when a 51 yd FG missed as time expired. A little lucky the Texans have been this season...they got a gift from IND in OT also. They can only beat the teams on their schedule but right now HOU looks like the 4 seed.

SD is taking a stronger hold on the 5 seed and they are keeping the pressure on KC in the DIV with a 6-2 record winning a road game in SEA this week.

CIN & MIA are the remaining teams over .500 and in the mix. The Bengals keep their claim on the 6th seed as TN lost and MIA hanging around by beating the Jets.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... I just found out that Hue Jackson got the axe.

Condolences @Wamu

Yeah, apparently Haley was Jackson's hire, but the FO more or less told him he needed an OC this season. There was rumbling of discord between Haley and Jackson after the TB loss in OT. Hue basically put it out there that he was going to get more involved in the OFC and after the loss to PIT Hue wanted to fire Haley. Instead Dorsey took this opportunity to clean house of both of them which I guess was smart.

Not sure why he didn't wait until the end of the season, but I guess it was toxic enough that he felt now was better than later.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, apparently Haley was Jackson's hire, but the FO more or less told him he needed an OC this season. There was rumbling of discord between Haley and Jackson after the TB loss in OT. Hue basically put it out there that he was going to get more involved in the OFC and after the loss to PIT Hue wanted to fire Haley. Instead Dorsey took this opportunity to clean house of both of them which I guess was smart.

Not sure why he didn't wait until the end of the season, but I guess it was toxic enough that he felt now was better than later.
Judging by a few of the Hard Knocks episodes that I watched from the offseason I would say Haley & Jackson's relationship was toxic from the beginning. Clearly Haley did not care for how Jackson ran things and he was visually displeased numerous times. Curious as to how Haley even got the job in the first place. Makes me think Dorsey/Haslam hired Haley over Jackson's head.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by a few of the Hard Knocks episodes that I watched from the offseason I would say Haley & Jackson's relationship was toxic from the beginning. Clearly Haley did not care for how Jackson ran things and he was visually displeased numerous times. Curious as to how Haley even got the job in the first place. Makes me think Dorsey/Haslam hired Haley over Jackson's head.

Jackson has been chirping a bit since getting axed and it really sounds like hiring a OC was a mandate, but the name was up to Jackson. Haley was Johnny on the spot hire I think.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson has been chirping a bit since getting axed and it really sounds like hiring a OC was a mandate, but the name was up to Jackson. Haley was Johnny on the spot hire I think.
I'm surprised that it was Jackson's hire. Haley is a good OC so I'm not surprised that he found work, but Jackson should have vetted him out better to see how well they meshed. The pressure from above was probably too much for him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that it was Jackson's hire. Haley is a good OC so I'm not surprised that he found work, but Jackson should have vetted him out better to see how well they meshed. The pressure from above was probably too much for him.

It (Haley hire) was very quick imo...that's why I called it a Johnny on the spot hire.

I understand what Haley was trying to do coming in, but some of the stuff he put out there I'm sure ruffled Jackson's feathers and that was pretty early on.

I can see Haley being an instigator maybe not even intentionally. What he said was likely true in terms of the CLE MO being different from winning organizations, but I'm not sure you should be saying that week one on the job. That had to set a bad tone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 straight division wins. Feels good to not be in a funk anymore.

Yes, it does. A sweep opportunity is still out there for week 17.

They're not out of the woods yet. 3-0 over the next 3 will be large...then I guess I will start to feel like they will close out the DIV.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It (Haley hire) was very quick imo...that's why I called it a Johnny on the spot hire.

I understand what Haley was trying to do coming in, but some of the stuff he put out there I'm sure ruffled Jackson's feathers and that was pretty early on.

I can see Haley being an instigator maybe not even intentionally. What he said was likely true in terms of the CLE MO being different from winning organizations, but I'm not sure you should be saying that week one on the job. That had to set a bad tone.
As we figured out early on, Haley definitely has an assertive attitude. He has his agenda and expects the troops to conform. It worked well here in Pittsburgh, but when it came time to make adjustments is when things got heated while he was here. Seems like the same story in Cleveland.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we figured out early on, Haley definitely has an assertive attitude. He has his agenda and expects the troops to conform. It worked well here in Pittsburgh, but when it came time to make adjustments is when things got heated while he was here. Seems like the same story in Cleveland.

I think when you're an OFC guy and you get a HC job, normally you hire a young guy to be the figurehead OC and you teach him your OFC. You go and hire a proven OC, naturally he's going to have his own agenda, etc.

I just think when they hit that little losing streak, Hue realizing his last chance was slipping away tried to salvage it by taking over what he knows best.

At least Hue is realizing where his bread is buttered...hoping to get another OC job from what I read.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 10 Recap

PIT...6-2-1, W vs CAR...52-21 TNF...The Steelers scored 3 times in a about 8 min span to break open the game and cruised to a home win over the CAR Panthers. The best game on both sides of the ball this season. It doesn't quite mean much right now, but PIT is the #2 seed with NE losing at TN yesterday.

Next game...week 11 @ JAX

CIN...5-4, L vs NO...14-51...Wow is all you can say. It's an OFC league and things can get away from you quick and that's what happened to the Bengals. The Saints basically mop the field with the CIN DEF with 7 sustained scoring drives...5 of them were TD drives. CIN has too many good players player on DEF for that to happen...much like PIT after 2 weeks, the Bengals will have to find some pride on DEF and get AJ Green back on the field...the good thing is even after taking a beatdown at home like that, they're still in the 6th slot.

Next game ...week 11 @BAL

BAL...4-5, BYE...The Ravens were off this week. Apparently there is still concern over Flacco's health for week 11 with his hip issue. Curious, if they beat CIN this week with Lamar Jackson, do they go back to Joe when he's healthy? I would think yes with Harbaugh probably needing to make the playoff to keep that gig.

Next game...week 11 vs CIN

CLE...3-6-1, W vs ATL 28-16. This was one of our 1p game options. The Browns dominated the Falcons really on both sides on the ball. Nick Chubb and my 1st 4Q look at Mayfield...outstanding game...the yardage was not impressive but his efficiency was...had 1 INT, but 3 TD passes and Chubb 92 yd TD imo was the game breaker. The DEF bottled up the ATL run game and with a healthy 2nd half lead they got Ryan into a pass only mode and were able to effect the QB with that front 7...2 sacks but several QB hits, and pressures. Always good to go into a bye week with a W.

Next game...week 12 @ CIN

AFC At Large...the big news is NE looked human, actually were slapped around in TN 34-10. Still a lot of football to play and they have a week 15 matchup with PIT. But for the time being that loss, dropped NE to the 3rd seed position. We'll have to see if PIT can hold on to the 2 seed leading up to that week 15 game.

LAC are quietly 7-2 and starting to run away with the 5 seed. MIA, TN are the two teams chasing CIN for the 6th seed. The win by the Titans tied CIN, but conf record tie would send the Bengals to the dance if the season ended today.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 10 Recap

PIT...6-2-1, W vs CAR...52-21 TNF...The Steelers scored 3 times in a about 8 min span to break open the game and cruised to a home win over the CAR Panthers. The best game on both sides of the ball this season. It doesn't quite mean much right now, but PIT is the #2 seed with NE losing at TN yesterday.

Next game...week 11 @ JAX

CIN...5-4, L vs NO...14-51...Wow is all you can say. It's an OFC league and things can get away from you quick and that's what happened to the Bengals. The Saints basically mop the field with the CIN DEF with 7 sustained scoring drives...5 of them were TD drives. CIN has too many good players player on DEF for that to happen...much like PIT after 2 weeks, the Bengals will have to find some pride on DEF and get AJ Green back on the field...the good thing is even after taking a beatdown at home like that, they're still in the 6th slot.

Next game ...week 11 @BAL

BAL...4-5, BYE...The Ravens were off this week. Apparently there is still concern over Flacco's health for week 11 with his hip issue. Curious, if they beat CIN this week with Lamar Jackson, do they go back to Joe when he's healthy? I would think yes with Harbaugh probably needing to make the playoff to keep that gig.

Next game...week 11 vs CIN

CLE...3-6-1, W vs ATL 28-16. This was one of our 1p game options. The Browns dominated the Falcons really on both sides on the ball. Nick Chubb and my 1st 4Q look at Mayfield...outstanding game...the yardage was not impressive but his efficiency was...had 1 INT, but 3 TD passes and Chubb 92 yd TD imo was the game breaker. The DEF bottled up the ATL run game and with a healthy 2nd half lead they got Ryan into a pass only mode and were able to effect the QB with that front 7...2 sacks but several QB hits, and pressures. Always good to go into a bye week with a W.

Next game...week 12 @ CIN

AFC At Large...the big news is NE looked human, actually were slapped around in TN 34-10. Still a lot of football to play and they have a week 15 matchup with PIT. But for the time being that loss, dropped NE to the 3rd seed position. We'll have to see if PIT can hold on to the 2 seed leading up to that week 15 game.

LAC are quietly 7-2 and starting to run away with the 5 seed. MIA, TN are the two teams chasing CIN for the 6th seed. The win by the Titans tied CIN, but conf record tie would send the Bengals to the dance if the season ended today.
Great work per usual!

PIT... Statement game & a huge momentum boost as the Steelers head into a stretch of AFC games. JAX has to be reeling after that gut-shot of a loss to Indy. Their backs are against the wall which makes them dangerous. What I fear most is that Leonard Fournette looked like himself again and ready to bruise anything in his way. Steelers rush defense against bigger backs has been solid lately so I'm optimistic they can handle him.

CIN... They need to get healthy fast. Not having 2-3 defensive starters against the Saints proved costly. That unit looked nothing like it did the first quarter of the season. Going to be a huge game next week against BAL. Both teams are desperate for a W, let alone a divisional W. Huge implications for both teams.

BAL... Word broke that Harbaugh is going to "mutually" part ways after the season. I was surprised to hear it, but it makes sense with this being Ozzie's last year. Time for change in BAL. Going to miss what Harbs brought to this division. He's a pro's pro & I've always respected him. I don't know whether he can save his job in BAL, but there's zero doubt that he's out of work for long. Wouldn't be surprised to see him land in Cleveland or on the Jets. Definitely didn't see Marvin Lewis outlasting him in the AFCN though. Shocked about that. Onto Cincy. Need that W to keep their hopes alive. Flacco should be able to play (seeing as how he didn't seem phased playing 3 quarters with his hip injury against PIT) unless they want to tank the season out and get a higher draft pick. Maybe they see this as their tryout period for Lamar Jackson. Now that the coaching staff is destined for flux, they need to plan for the future. Flacco's dead cap is over 60% less next season (>$40m to $16m). Much more feasible to move on if they choose to do so.

CLE... Crazy how much Hue Jackson was holding this team back. The level of talent is ridiculous. I know ATL isn't the best of tests for an offense, but it was still a great statement game for them. Their defense was solid, and their offense is getting it done. I'm most impressed with Mayfield, Chubb & Ward. Those rooks seem destined to be stars. Baker has the look of a franchise QB. Smart decision making by taking what the defense gave him on most plays, but also has the ability to create plays. That scramble out of the busted pocket and throw for TD was a thing of beauty. He's going to be a problem for years to come. Chubb was definitely the right choice after they traded Hyde. Kid has a great motor and a powerful 1-cut downhill runner. He may not dazzle you, but he's an effective runner and thats what he needs to be. With a better O-line he could easily be a 1400-1500yd rusher. If you ever get the chance to watch CLE's defense you gotta watch Ward work. Kid has a veteran head on his shoulders. Watching him read & diagnose plays pre-snap is scary good. He makes mistakes, but his coverage abilities are on par with that of Jalen Ramsey (at least at relative points of their short careers). Even in the waning minutes when ATL was driving he made an excellent tackle to keep the clock rolling. Most DBs would have tackled the TE out of bounds, but he wisely curved out to in and tackled him towards the LOS. The TE even leapt for the sideline and looked like he almost got there but the ref called him inbounds. May not seem like much on the surface, but that is very smart decision making by a rookie DB that is almost unheard of anymore. Scary part is he's still learning & getting better.