• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My nature I guess...they were outcoached.

If the executed better, maybe they are 2-2 instead of 1-2-1, but either way this does not look like a playoff team...right not they look like a top 10 2019 draft team.
Idk but IMO if you execute a poor game plan perfectly you still lose most of the time!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk but IMO if you execute a poor game plan perfectly you still lose most of the time!

Yep...there's a saying in golf, that you can practice bad mechanics your whole life...and you'll find some success, but when you hit the wall no amount of practicing bad mechanics will help.

You've got to be convinced that it's a poor game plan and the only way to prove that to a guy like Tomlin is to execute and fail.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...there's a saying in golf, that you can practice bad mechanics your whole life...and you'll find some success, but when you hit the wall no amount of practicing bad mechanics will help.

You've got to be convinced that it's a poor game plan and the only way to prove that to a guy like Tomlin is to execute and fail.
I think that's a Catch22 situation though the way he see it. It's just not possible to execute a poor game plan so you can always blame execution even though the game plan was never gonna work in the first place. And around and around you go and never fix the real problem.

This is gonna be a long season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's a Catch22 situation though the way he see it. It's just not possible to execute a poor game plan so you can always blame execution even though the game plan was never gonna work in the first place. And around and around you go and never fix the real problem.

This is gonna be a long season.

In theory, the bend don't break concept works...LeBeau migrated to it when the talent got old, etc...it worked pretty well until Troy and Mitchell started getting beat over the top. Teams moved the ball on them but they were decent in the RZ DEF, so they were a top 15ish DEF.

This bunch is not able to force FGs so the concept is never going to work...they need to bring pressure and hope the secondary improves.

Yeah, it's been a while since we've seen a real stinker, this one has potential.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati -- The offense has been a big surprise. Bill Lazor is getting as much out of Andy Dalton as Hue Jackson did.... And Hue did it with a much better offensive line and a supporting cast of playmakers that included a healthy Eifert, Marvin Jones, and Mo Sanu, to go along with AJ. That team was stacked. The defense has also been a surprise.... Just not in a good way. Too much talent on that D to give up as many chunk plays as they do. Lots of fans complaining that they drop into too many soft zones (much like the complaints around here). Traditionally this D looks a lot different when Burfict plays. The problem is that he doesn't play a whole bunch.

Cleveland -- They were robbed in that game. They made the first down to close it out and it should have never been overturned upon review. They've now lost two games they clearly should have won (@NO and @Oak) because of a kicker and a ref, respectively. Two games matters a lot and likely will be the difference between an outside chance at the playoffs or an also-ran.

Baltimore -- I don't know what to make of them. I still don't think they have great talent on offense, but they're getting it done right now. Their next 5 games will tell a lot about them as a team.... Some tricky games in there.

Pittsburgh -- You guys know better than I do. They look one dimensional on offense. And they don't look quite as creative to me. I know most people don't want to talk about it, but they would be more dynamic with Bell in the backfield. Another thing that is hard to talk about is the fact that the D is not nearly as capable without Ryan Shazier. He was a unique player that isn't easily replaced.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati -- The offense has been a big surprise. Bill Lazor is getting as much out of Andy Dalton as Hue Jackson did.... And Hue did it with a much better offensive line and a supporting cast of playmakers that included a healthy Eifert, Marvin Jones, and Mo Sanu, to go along with AJ. That team was stacked. The defense has also been a surprise.... Just not in a good way. Too much talent on that D to give up as many chunk plays as they do. Lots of fans complaining that they drop into too many soft zones (much like the complaints around here). Traditionally this D looks a lot different when Burfict plays. The problem is that he doesn't play a whole bunch.

Cleveland -- They were robbed in that game. They made the first down to close it out and it should have never been overturned upon review. They've now lost two games they clearly should have won (@NO and @Oak) because of a kicker and a ref, respectively. Two games matters a lot and likely will be the difference between an outside chance at the playoffs or an also-ran.

Baltimore -- I don't know what to make of them. I still don't think they have great talent on offense, but they're getting it done right now. Their next 5 games will tell a lot about them as a team.... Some tricky games in there.

Pittsburgh -- You guys know better than I do. They look one dimensional on offense. And they don't look quite as creative to me. I know most people don't want to talk about it, but they would be more dynamic with Bell in the backfield. Another thing that is hard to talk about is the fact that the D is not nearly as capable without Ryan Shazier. He was a unique player that isn't easily replaced.

CIN...the ATL game was incredible. Dalton is still Dalton when the pressure is on, but the OL did a great job against 4 man pressure...(Quinn is getting questioned on why he didn't blitz more). ATL can move it and score on most teams that don't manhandle their OL...you saw at the end the Bengal DL making plays and ultimately forcing ATL to kick a FG. I think Boyd is a part of the reason for the success...he's finally become that reliable #2....sucked to see Eifert go down like that after so many injuries.

Right now, the Bengal imo are the team to beat in the DIV. BAL does it a little differently on OFC, but it's working and they have the schedule to hang around all season.

CLE...they look different for sure.

PIT...I think Bell would make a difference no doubt, but I'd rather see that money invested in a more proven CB opposite Joe Haden, and a more athletic LB or S....Ben imo is the reason the OFC has been hit or miss...he's missing some wide open players several on 3rd down.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you guys didn't think highly of Todd Haley, but don't you think it's at least a little possible that this offense isn't coached as well as it was in the past?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you guys didn't think highly of Todd Haley, but don't you think it's at least a little possible that this offense isn't coached as well as it was in the past?
Anything is possible. But seriously, the new OC definitely has sucked at half time adjustments so far. But it's also very hard to judge Offensive coaching when the D gives up an average of 30 points/game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is possible. But seriously, the new OC definitely has sucked at half time adjustments so far. But it's also very hard to judge Offensive coaching when the D gives up an average of 30 points/game.

Excellent point.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In theory, the bend don't break concept works...LeBeau migrated to it when the talent got old, etc...it worked pretty well until Troy and Mitchell started getting beat over the top. Teams moved the ball on them but they were decent in the RZ DEF, so they were a top 15ish DEF.

This bunch is not able to force FGs so the concept is never going to work...they need to bring pressure and hope the secondary improves.

Yeah, it's been a while since we've seen a real stinker, this one has potential.

But LeBeau also put pressure on QBs.... we don't do that anymore.
Yes if you throw everything at the QB you will get beat deep from time to time, but when the QB is standing in the backfield like he's lining up a pool shot, you're gonna get screwed more times than not.
Also LeBeau had guys that could stop a run, these guys.....oh man. How many times has Dupree completely out run the play???

There is so much wrong with this D....we could go on and on with this.

Never have we ever had such a shit D.....it was always the offense.
But these days the D sucks so bad, the offense can't keep up or act as if they don't want too.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but it needed to be said twice!!!!!!

:suds:

Hell, say it again I'll give you another winner!!!!!

Think?????? Stop being so nice, we all know they were outcoached and have been all season so far. And will continue to be because the HC thinks the players just need to execute better but the coaching and gameplans were fine and dandy. :D:D:D

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 5 DIV Recap

CIN...4-1, W vs MIA 27-17...if you didn't see this game and I didn't, don't let the final score fool you. The Bengals were down 17-3 in the 4Q when their DEF basically took over the game...3 turnovers and a punt over 4 consecutive series and that turned a 2 possession deficit into a 2 possession lead...game over.

Next game vs PIT

BAL...3-2, L @ CLE 6-9 in OT...this looked like a bad field game but for CLE to shutout the Ravens OFC is the storyline of this game imo.

Next game...@ TN

CLE...2-2-1, W vs BAL, 9-6 in OT...Browns are no longer the laughing stock of the DIV. Mayfield might be the right guy for the job, but thru 5 games, this is a different Browns team. A bad call away from being 3-1-1. This will make the DIV a lot more interesting going forward.

Next game vs LAC

PIT...2-2-1, W vs ATL, 41-17...A desperate Steeler team brought a fierce pass rush to this game and kept Matt Ryan and his weapons playing from behind the chains most of this game. The pressure dialed up 6 sacks, a turnover for a DEF score on a fumble, ST blocked a punt and the OFC played a balance game with Connor having a huge day factoring in both the run and passing game.

Next game @ CIN

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals game was an odd game. It was a Marvin special.... Coming off a big road win, they came out sloppy. Redzone interception, field-goal blocked and a punt return for a touchdown. Miami built a 17-0 lead even though their offense wasn't doing much. The Bengals moved the ball, but didn't score. Then the Bengals got a score, Miami lost their LT, momentum shifted and it completely snowballed. I don't think there is much you can learn about either team except that the Bengals show much more fight than the last 2 seasons. Miami was too beat up to blame them. The Bengals made enough mistakes to lose, but somehow managed to win.

I think we'll learn a lot about the Bengals over the next two weeks. Home against Pittsburgh and a roadie in KC... They don't need to win both, but losing both will signal that they aren't quite ready for playoff level football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll learn a lot about the Bengals over the next two weeks. Home against Pittsburgh and a roadie in KC... They don't need to win both, but losing both will signal that they aren't quite ready for playoff level football.

I think the AFC is in for a wild ride this season...definitely CIN can make a statement that they are a SB contender by winning both of these games, but not really ruled out if they lose both...agree a split would be almost ideal.

10 I think is the number to win the DIV this season....I came into the season thinking 11, but with CLE now formidable every week...3 wins in DIV will be pretty good I think, 4 would be gold...looking at the rest of CIN's road games...it won't be easy, but the Bengals are in great shape to hit 10+.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the AFC not look at weak as it did last year or is it that the NFC doesn't look at good? I think it's the latter.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the AFC is in for a wild ride this season...definitely CIN can make a statement that they are a SB contender by winning both of these games, but not really ruled out if they lose both...agree a split would be almost ideal.

10 I think is the number to win the DIV this season....I came into the season thinking 11, but with CLE now formidable every week...3 wins in DIV will be pretty good I think, 4 would be gold...looking at the rest of CIN's road games...it won't be easy, but the Bengals are in great shape to hit 10+.
IMO CIN can't make a statement they're a SB contender until they can prove they can win a playoff game, ala the Falcons of 2 years ago.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's both.

I was expecting some fall off from Philly, Minnesota and Seattle, but I wasn't expecting the fall off from Atlanta, Green Bay and I was expecting San Fran to be good but Jimmy G got injured.