• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None taken. :)

I just might be a bit more of a Dunlap fan that others on my board are. I think he is the best DE we have ever had. Then again, I have only been following this team since the early 80's.

Tuitt and Heyward are nothing to take lightly either. They are a force to be reckoned with.

As 34 DEs go...I think Heyward & Tuitt are at the top of the league...both healthy...if they can stay that way all season, I think the Steelers D will surprise some people.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 1 review

BAL...1-0...W, 47-3 over BUF...total domination of the Bills in the Ravens home opener. For Peterman to get the start tells you a lot about Josh Allen...the kid is not ready. For a team that appears to be OFC needy, they were anything but in this game.

CIN...1-0...W, 34-23 over IND...solid road win. Colts were in position to win or tie with a FG late and a turnover for 6 sealed it.

CLE...0-1-0...T, 21 all vs PIT...the Browns were down 21-0 in the 3rd with little more than a few QB scrambles to show on OFC, but they took advantage of Steeler turnovers to score 14pts in the final 7 minutes to scratch out a tie at home.

PIT...0-1-0...T, 21 all vs CLE...The Steelers went from dominating the game on a wet, and rainy game to needing a great play by Cameron Sutton to force OT on the road...a miss wide left by Boswell ensured that PIT would pay a price for their sloppy play.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 1 review

BAL...1-0...W, 47-3 over BUF...total domination of the Bills in the Ravens home opener. For Peterman to get the start tells you a lot about Josh Allen...the kid is not ready. For a team that appears to be OFC needy, they were anything but in this game.

CIN...1-0...W, 34-23 over IND...solid road win. Colts were in position to win or tie with a FG late and a turnover for 6 sealed it.

CLE...0-1-0...T, 21 all vs PIT...the Browns were down 21-0 in the 3rd with little more than a few QB scrambles to show on OFC, but they took advantage of Steeler turnovers to score 14pts in the final 7 minutes to scratch out a tie at home.

PIT...0-1-0...T, 21 all vs CLE...The Steelers went from dominating the game on a wet, and rainy game to needing a great play by Cameron Sutton to force OT on the road...a miss wide left by Boswell ensured that PIT would pay a price for their sloppy play.
BAL... That defense is still nasty. And surprisingly their offense looks decent. But its the Bills. The entire world expects Buffalo to be bottom 3 this year. Bigger test for BAL next week with a short week heading into Cincy. Cincy D will give us a better gauge for the Ravens O.

CIN... Still the talented team we thought they were. Joe Mixon emerging for their offense is going to be big down the stretch. But this was the Colts D that is a bottom feeder. Much more difficult test for them next week against BAL. Cincy D looked decent.

CLE... Really difficult to take much away from that game, but they proved they have the talent & resolve to compete with the division. Its just discipline that will hurt them once again. Hue could be holding them back. I really liked what I saw from Tyrod Taylor. He's going to make mistakes, but he proved to have the mettle to play in the AFCN. Myles Garrett & Denzel Ward, oh my. Those 2 are going to be a problem for many years to come. Going to be an interesting matchup next week when they travel to NO. Saints are licking their wounds after getting smacked around by a divisional opponent and are looking to rebound quickly. CLE doesn't have the firepower to hang if this turns into a shootout. Big test for CLE defense.

PIT... Again, not sure if we learned a whole lot about this team just yet. Ben has always been known as a shaky Sept-Oct QB with road problems. Throw in 2 inches of rain and 20mph winds. It was a recipe for disaster. Still no excuse for how many bad judgement throws he made. Ben always finds a way to rebound, so I still have faith. Defense looked good, but they did what they should have done. Next week is going to be a much bigger test at home when the red-hot Chiefs come into town. Chiefs offense looks unstoppable. Secondary is going to have their hands full. Not to mention Mahomes is a great mobile QB so the front 7 are going to have to be very disciplined. Watt & Dupree need their A game. Dupree is my concern. If he pulls any of those overruns when passrushing, then Mahomes will have an easy getaway.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAL... That defense is still nasty. And surprisingly their offense looks decent. But its the Bills. The entire world expects Buffalo to be bottom 3 this year. Bigger test for BAL next week with a short week heading into Cincy. Cincy D will give us a better gauge for the Ravens O.

CIN... Still the talented team we thought they were. Joe Mixon emerging for their offense is going to be big down the stretch. But this was the Colts D that is a bottom feeder. Much more difficult test for them next week against BAL. Cincy D looked decent.

CLE... Really difficult to take much away from that game, but they proved they have the talent & resolve to compete with the division. Its just discipline that will hurt them once again. Hue could be holding them back. I really liked what I saw from Tyrod Taylor. He's going to make mistakes, but he proved to have the mettle to play in the AFCN. Myles Garrett & Denzel Ward, oh my. Those 2 are going to be a problem for many years to come. Going to be an interesting matchup next week when they travel to NO. Saints are licking their wounds after getting smacked around by a divisional opponent and are looking to rebound quickly. CLE doesn't have the firepower to hang if this turns into a shootout. Big test for CLE defense.

PIT... Again, not sure if we learned a whole lot about this team just yet. Ben has always been known as a shaky Sept-Oct QB with road problems. Throw in 2 inches of rain and 20mph winds. It was a recipe for disaster. Still no excuse for how many bad judgement throws he made. Ben always finds a way to rebound, so I still have faith. Defense looked good, but they did what they should have done. Next week is going to be a much bigger test at home when the red-hot Chiefs come into town. Chiefs offense looks unstoppable. Secondary is going to have their hands full. Not to mention Mahomes is a great mobile QB so the front 7 are going to have to be very disciplined. Watt & Dupree need their A game. Dupree is my concern. If he pulls any of those overruns when passrushing, then Mahomes will have an easy getaway.

Across the DIV...I'm not sure if we really learned much as you mentioned.

BAL played the Bills who are probably heading to a top 3 draft slot....yes, this week will be a better gauge..

CIN...The Colts did not try to run the ball much and they lead much of the game...Bengals were kind of reeling on DEF when they got the scoop and score late to win it.

CLE...as sloppy as PIT played it's hard to say where they are really. Without the turnovers I could see that game being 21-7....Taylor was effective scrambling, and made a couple of deep balls count, but 15-40 <200 yds is not going to get it done.

PIT...We don't think Ben is going to play that badly all year so I'm not too concerned...Thought we might see a little more diversity on the OFC.....maybe something to Nix, etc. but maybe it's coming down the road. DEF...I thought VWil and Bostic played well. In addition to Watt who is starting to own the Browns now, Dupree was pretty active, had a sack, was in coverage...This why you keep Sensabaugh, need to hope the hammy situation doesn't hamper Haden.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit the nail on the head when reminding Bengals fans that the damage was done against a bad Indy defense. I think Indy is going to be a tough out for teams this year as long as Luck stays healthy. But they'll have growing pains on D and honestly the only thing that stopped the Bengals was turnovers.

We'll know more about Baltimore AND Cincinnati this week.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thumb_hit-mary-kay-cabot-somehow-someway-we-are-going-to-6251580.png

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :yes:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Job saved?

I hope not. But seeing how Haslam's about as sharp as a bowling ball I wouldn't be surprised if Hue gets a contract extension before the end of the day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. But seeing how Haslam's about as sharp as a bowling ball I wouldn't be surprised if Hue gets a contract extension before the end of the day.

I think Haslam stepped in to save Hue this season, but IDK about next year.

The OFC has to be better than Sunday...can't count on teams giving it to them 6 times like the Steelers did.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Haslam stepped in to save Hue this season, but IDK about next year.

The OFC has to be better than Sunday...can't count on teams giving it to them 6 times like the Steelers did.

If the Browns lose to the Jets in week 3 that's enough. Get him outta Cleveland.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns lose to the Jets in week 3 that's enough. Get him outta Cleveland.

I tend to look at the season in Qtrs...I thought 1-3 after 1Q was acceptable...now they will be no worse than 0-3-1, but I would expect them to beat the Jets at home too.

I thought Hue needed at least 6-10 to save his job, but imo Dorsey is going to have his man after this season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to look at the season in Qtrs...I thought 1-3 after 1Q was acceptable...now they will be no worse than 0-3-1, but I would expect them to beat the Jets at home too.

I thought Hue needed at least 6-10 to save his job, but imo Dorsey is going to have his man after this season.

Speaking of Dorsey he has to have a win total in mind for this year. Whatever it is I hope it's set too high for Hue. I just have no faith in a HC that's not only 1-31-1 but has pretty much had a complete coaching staff change since the '16 season.

Now if the other coaches are new but the HC is still around to me it's obvious what the problem is.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Dorsey he has to have a win total in mind for this year. Whatever it is I hope it's set too high for Hue. I just have no faith in a HC that's not only 1-31-1 but has pretty much had a complete coaching staff change since the '16 season.

Now if the other coaches are new but the HC is still around to me it's obvious what the problem is.
Well... you're right. In terms of mechanical troubleshooting they have replaced almost every damn part in that engine, save for 1. He's gotta be the next to go... But then again we are talkin about replacing parts in a Ford Pinto.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... you're right. In terms of mechanical troubleshooting they have replaced almost every damn part in that engine, save for 1. He's gotta be the next to go... But then again we are talkin about replacing parts in a Ford Pinto.

A Ford Pinto :laugh3:

You're giving the Browns too much credit. They're more like a Yugo sitting on cinder blocks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think anything under .500 and Hue is out.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think anything under .500 and Hue is out.

I like that #, it's unrealistic. Seeing as how the Browns have only won 4 games the last 3 years:L the teams expectations shouldn't be set very high. As sad as it is if they could somehow win 5 games this year that would be good for them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that #, it's unrealistic. Seeing as how the Browns have only won 4 games the last 3 years:L the teams expectations shouldn't be set very high. As sad as it is if they could somehow win 5 games this year that would be good for them.

Yeah, I agree 8/9 wins might not be realistic.

When you consider that just about every GM that takes on a rebuild job, they want their own QB and HC...i.e. their stamp on the team. That said I think it's going to take a number (north of 5 wins) to stick.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree 8/9 wins might not be realistic.

When you consider that just about every GM that takes on a rebuild job, they want their own QB and HC...i.e. their stamp on the team. That said I think it's going to take a number (north of 5 wins) to stick.

I agree w/ you. I'm just overly frustrated w/ the organizations decision to keep the HC. But I've said that before. All I can do is hope (again) the team is heading in the right direction. There's more talent than in years past. Not sure what that will mean for the rest of the season. It should mean some W's. But we're talking about the Browns so ya never know.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree w/ you. I'm just overly frustrated w/ the organizations decision to keep the HC. But I've said that before. All I can do is hope (again) the team is heading in the right direction. There's more talent than in years past. Not sure what that will mean for the rest of the season. It should mean some W's. But we're talking about the Browns so ya never know.

I was a Hue guy for a while...thought he did a good job in CIN and deserved another shot at a HC gig. But since he got it...almost zilch.

I think LY was doomed for failure by starting a rookie QB that had no business starting.

I'm on record saying Mayfield was a mistake, but I do think he'll be better than Taylor long term. Good enough to get them back to the playoffs? IDK.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a Hue guy for a while...thought he did a good job in CIN and deserved another shot at a HC gig. But since he got it...almost zilch.

I think LY was doomed for failure by starting a rookie QB that had no business starting.

I'm on record saying Mayfield was a mistake, but I do think he'll be better than Taylor long term. Good enough to get them back to the playoffs? IDK.

I wasn't happy w/ the Mayfield pick, I wanted Barkley. And hopefully he doesn't see the field anytime soon. He had some good moments in the preseason but it was against 2nd & 3rd stringers.