• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armon Binns Will Win Starting Job

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If it were me, I'd only keep 1 between Tate and Binns. Shipley is clearly still working his way back. Long term, he should be a very good slot reciever when he comes back all the way. Both Binns and Tate have never produced at WR. They're both off the scrap heap. You have two much better prospects coming up behind them (Sanu, Jones). Long term, the correct move would be to keep Shipley and get rid of one of those guys.

I agree with this. In the long term, it's too early to give up on Shipley. He's a solid player when healthy. And despite all the Hawkins hype, I won't buy into it until 3-4 weeks within the season. He was a huge unknown coming into the middle of the season last year, so there was no film on him, and training camp is, well, training camp. Point being, the potential is obviously there with him, but imo it is way too early to put all the eggs in his basket and cut a solid player like Shipley, especially in favor of being able to keep both Tate and Binns.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the receiver position is a mess.... After AJ Green, who do we have that is a proven #2? We'll be forced to keep two rookies (hopefully they're good), we'll be forced to make a tough decision on who to keep in the slot, and we'll be forced to choose between two guys (Tate and Binns) that have major question marks as either back-ups or contenders for the number 2 slot. Why didn't we try for a veteran #2?

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont know why they didnt go after a #2. Plaxico is still available. I like both Sanu and Jones. I think they'll both be very good WRs in time. Regardless, whomever is at the 2 will benefit from playing opposite Green. Plus, Gresham can be a force in the pass game. Overall, I think they've got enough weapons in the passing game. The biggest question mark is Dalton and how much he can progress.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the options to replace Simpson and Caldwell can't be any worse...they simply can't be.

That's probably why they didn't go after a big name WR. Also, maybe they didn't want to lock themselves into another higher priced F/A when they are going to build their WR corps around Green.

Spilt milk at this point. Who we have is who we've got. The only thing they can do is make the best choices based on what they see in practice every day and in the snaps they get during the pre-season.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are 2 sides to the coin. Sure, Green will always open things up for the player opposite him; however, Simpson also commanded some respect on the field due to his size, speed, and athleticism. He did drop balls, but he also made plays. Neither Tate nor Binns will command as much respect - at least not early on - and it'll allow defenses to help even more on Green.

In addition to that, whether either of those guys will be able to take advantage of having Green opposite them as much as Simpson did is still yet to be seen. If not, then it'll become even harder for Green.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jones is technically eligible to go to the PS...the problem would be him clearing waivers. I think the likliehood of a guy as talented as he is not being claimed by another team is unlikely. Regardless, I wouldnt leave it to chance.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess just watch the preseason to see who gets hurt.

I'll be watching to see if Binns is really worth keeping, and if Tate is as valuable as the Bengals seem to think. I'm just not that attached.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I gotta say, I wasnt a fan of either Tate or Binns at WR but they both looked good to me on Fri. The catch that Tate made out of bounds showed exceptional athleticism and a really wide catch radius. Binns looks big on the field. We'll see how it plays out, but they both looked much betterh than I expected them to.

jwil007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I will reiterate the message.....Binns will win the starting Job...he is a possession receiver that can beat you deep and has nice size....Tate will make it as well...

Shipley??? PUP to start the season or can you do that????? then reevaluated after game 6 and then put on IR or traded......If no PUP eligibility then IRed or traded.... Cutting him outright is dumb as hell......

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they would cut him outright, but if they put him on waivers someone might like him. He played on the same offense as Jamaal Charles and Colt McCoy in college, so he's fairly well known in the NFL.

If anyone is eligible to go to the practice squad to keep Shipley, then it will happen that way, most likely.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I will reiterate the message.....Binns will win the starting Job...he is a possession receiver that can beat you deep and has nice size....Tate will make it as well...

Shipley??? PUP to start the season or can you do that????? then reevaluated after game 6 and then put on IR or traded......If no PUP eligibility then IRed or traded.... Cutting him outright is dumb as hell......

I don't think Shipley has any trade value, outside of something like a conditional 7th rounder at the most. he has limited upside since he can only play the slot, and he's coming off a serious knee injury.

IR is an interesting option, but he would have to essentaily be willing to give up a yr of his career so he can fight for a roster spot next yr. if he's healthy enough to play I'm not sure he'd agree to it.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Shipley has any trade value, outside of something like a conditional 7th rounder at the most. he has limited upside since he can only play the slot, and he's coming off a serious knee injury.

IR is an interesting option, but he would have to essentaily be willing to give up a yr of his career so he can fight for a roster spot next yr. if he's healthy enough to play I'm not sure he'd agree to it.

This was actually his second knee injury - Not the same knee.... What worries me is that he said this one was worse. If you remember when he was in college, there was a story on gameday about all the issues he had with recovery the first time around, yet this one is worse?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 8 week IR list, if approved, is the logical place for him....it allows us to kick the can down the road for the first half of the season......

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Plus he will be turning 27 in December.

I like Shipley a lot and always thought he was a roster lock but two serious knee injuries, age and limited versatility (can really only play effectively in the slot) makes him a long shot.

Not helping his cause is that there are three guys on the roster that can fill his role (Hawkins, Sanu and Whalen).

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no idea, seen some Binns highlights from his UC days, he seems ok, but nothing from his Bengals days, so no idea.