• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armchair GMs...check this out.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen was good at being a player and he's good at being an analysis, just not GM/President.

Millen was the Lions' CEO for seven full seasons, from 2001–07; during that time, the club compiled a record of 31-81 (with at least nine losses each season). Detroit's .277 winning percentage was among the worst ever compiled by an NFL team over a seven-year period; only the Chicago Cardinals of 1939-45 (10-61-3, .141) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of 1983-89 (26-86, .234) were less successful.

During the early part of Millen's tenure (2001–2003), the Lions failed to win a road game for three years (0–24) before opening the season with a win at the Chicago Bears in 2004. Overall, the Lions are 8–50 on the road since 2001.[11] Millen himself admitted to an interviewer in 2008 that the team's record under his leadership has been "beyond awful".[12] The Wall Street Journal said that NFL executives admit in private that Millen "has made more bad draft decisions than anyone else in two centuries".[13]

Please tell me... What the fuck!! Can this dude analyze? Other than him analyzing that he himself sucks at football and life.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please pick Ebron. Please. Please!!!

The Lions are proud to announce to it's fans... THE SECOND BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!!!! **

** = Poll does not include the following.... Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Jake Mathews, Zack Martin, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Carlos Hyde, Marquis Lee, Jordan Mathews, Jeremy Hill, Allen Robinson, Tre Mason, Jerick McKinnon, Zach Mettenburger and Donte Moncrief.

635628223026610615-LIONS-050914-JHG11.jpg

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me... What the fuck!! Can this dude analyze? Other than him analyzing that he himself sucks at football and life.

I don't blame you for losing all faith in Millen as a human being, because I certainly lost all faith in John Madden too for his influence that got Millen the gig in Detroit... two of the main reasons I can't stand the Raiders. If I was trying to defend Millen I would answer that, but I love what you said better.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are proud to announce to it's fans... THE SECOND BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!!!! **

** = Poll does not include the following.... Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Jake Mathews, Zack Martin, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Carlos Hyde, Marquis Lee, Jordan Mathews, Jeremy Hill, Allen Robinson, Tre Mason, Jerick McKinnon, Zach Mettenburger and Donte Moncrief.

635628223026610615-LIONS-050914-JHG11.jpg
Caldwell really needs to learn how to contain himself.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will be impacted that much. The LBs remain the same, and get back a "healthy" Tulloch. The secondary remains the same, and hopefully have a young talented corner or two to add to the mix. The D-line lost an absolute stud but added a former all-pro, but still has some depth issues imo.

Suh didn't make the defense much better last year, Austin did.

I disagree. We will just have to wait and see. I give credit to Austin for planning schemes that made sense with the lions defense to take advantage of suh. He did a great job doing what the previous coordinator could not, but at the end of the day execution still needs to occur and I don't see the same level of execution occurring after gutting the d line. I hope you are right.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree Suh was the best player on the defense, I'd say Teryl Austin is the guy who transformed the defense into a stud unit. The progression of Darius Slay, teamed with one of best pair of safeties, also helped transform the defense. Same with the play of Levy and Tulloch, and Whitehead when Tulloch was injured.

One player does not transform a defense. If that were the case -- Houston would have been the #1 defense instead of 15th. A defense is only as good as the talent around them.

Ah, one player very well can transform a defense. What a coincidence that guys like tulloch and fairley got injured and the lions could just plug someone in and keep trucking. They do that this year and I'll come on here and tell you that you were right. They won't though as you and others are only seeing stats and judging solely based on stats when a defensive tackle that will be.in the HOF provides so much more. When they are middle of the pack halfway through next season will you admit I was right or come up with a various litany of excuses?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. We will just have to wait and see. I give credit to Austin for planning schemes that made sense with the lions defense to take advantage of suh. He did a great job doing what the previous coordinator could not, but at the end of the day execution still needs to occur and I don't see the same level of execution occurring after gutting the d line. I hope you are right.
The reason I think Austin played a huge role last year is bc the previous 4 years without Austin, Suh the savior wasn't able to get his defense above a middle of the pack D. And I'm not takig anything away from Suh. He's great. But he and he alone couldn't make this D a top one. It took, imo, a very good coordinator. Isn't that the job a coordinator anyway?

I'm also not saying Austin is a savior. But I liked what he was about wen reading up on him when we hired him, I loved what he did with our D last year, and will give him the benefit of the doubt heading into this next year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I think Austin played a huge role last year is bc the previous 4 years without Austin, Suh the savior wasn't able to get his defense above a middle of the pack D.

Suh has always been awesome. You keep ignoring it. Leads all DTs in all major categories since 2010. For the past 4 years, your hero Mayhew failed miserably to put good players around Suh. Finally we got a good DE and two pretty good safeties and a DC who isn't 75 years old, and all of a sudden Suh didn't have to do it all himself.

But he's gone now. Austin doesn't play. If other GMs thought like you, he'd be a HC. And he lost every interview he had to someone else.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I think Austin played a huge role last year is bc the previous 4 years without Austin, Suh the savior wasn't able to get his defense above a middle of the pack D. And I'm not takig anything away from Suh. He's great. But he and he alone couldn't make this D a top one. It took, imo, a very good coordinator. Isn't that the job a coordinator anyway?

I'm also not saying Austin is a savior. But I liked what he was about wen reading up on him when we hired him, I loved what he did with our D last year, and will give him the benefit of the doubt heading into this next year.

It will be interesting to see if Austin can replicate his success without the lynchpin of his defense. He definitely proved that he has the ability to get the most out of his players.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, one player very well can transform a defense. What a coincidence that guys like tulloch and fairley got injured and the lions could just plug someone in and keep trucking. They do that this year and I'll come on here and tell you that you were right. They won't though as you and others are only seeing stats and judging solely based on stats when a defensive tackle that will be.in the HOF provides so much more. When they are middle of the pack halfway through next season will you admit I was right or come up with a various litany of excuses?
:L

"They won't though..." lol

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh has always been awesome. You keep ignoring it. Leads all DTs in all major categories since 2010. For the past 4 years, your hero Mayhew failed miserably to put good players around Suh. Finally we got a good DE and two pretty good safeties and a DC who isn't 75 years old, and all of a sudden Suh didn't have to do it all himself.

But he's gone now. Austin doesn't play. If other GMs thought like you, he'd be a HC. And he lost every interview he had to someone else.
I think your reading comprehension is really lacking. I've said time and time again Suh is awesome. But, your ex boyfriend didn't lead this D to a top spot once until Austin got here. Facts are facts. Deal with it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your reading comprehension is really lacking. I've said time and time again Suh is awesome. But, your ex boyfriend didn't lead this D to a top spot once until Austin got here. Facts are facts. Deal with it.

Fact is, Suh couldn't do it alone. As in with Gunther and his dated defense. He was good enough to become an All Pro, but the fact remains that your step dad sucks at drafting, and in four years, failed to put decent players around Suh, the only good player he had on defense.

Mayhew did well in FA. Got Quinn, got Ihedgibo. Mayhew fired Gunther, a guy who probably never should have hsd the job to start. All that helped Suh, and Suh obviously helped all of them.

If other GMs thought like you, and felt like Austin could lead a top D without an All Pro like Suh, he'd be a HC right now. But he got passed over like 6 times. Maybe other teams agree with me. Maybe that see Austin as a good DC who had one of the top D players ever last year, hitting his prime, and without Suh, Austin cannot win big.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is the shit- but anyone expecting a huge drop-off in our defense is grossly overestimating the impact a single player (ANY single player) has on an NFL defense, imo.

One guy won't make a average defense good, or a good defense great. That's just the reality of a league filled with the best players in the world...